PDA

View Full Version : When does 922r become "official"?

We The People Firearms
01-05-2011, 7:15 PM
I tried finding info on this but was unable to locate any. When do the laws pertaining to the 922r statute actually go into effect when building a gun? I got into a discussion about it with a friend and we both have our opinions, but I'd like the real truth.

For instance, I , in reality, have several AK's that i am building that are in different stages of completion. At what point in a build does the statute actually apply? If I am going to use a muzzle attachment as one of my parts on 3 guns, and haven't put them on yet, and ( I know this is ridiculous and unlikely) a DOJ agent comes by, can they say my guns are non-compliant? Is it a state of mind thing that says the gun is not complete until I say it is? If I have the guns completely finished except for the U.S. made buttstocks and have to leave for some reason, do I have non-compliant guns?

I know this seems like splitting hairs, but it seems to me it is just a state of mind. I'm done with this gun or I'm not done with it yet. Any help would be great.

Ding126
01-05-2011, 7:26 PM
922r is a federal regulation not state. I generally consider the reg applies to manufactures and importers of weapons....but thats my opinion.
I never heard of anyone being arrested or weapon being taken away for non compliance

SanPedroShooter
01-05-2011, 7:32 PM
How would anyone even know if youre part count was in compliance??? Would the police strip youre rifle down and check the proof marks? A lot of parts have no marking at all. I would never break the law, but 922 is one i am not sweating.
Sorry to interupt.

CSACANNONEER
01-05-2011, 7:41 PM
There is no law against owning a firearm that doesn't comply. As far as "what stage of building would it apply" goes, from the very beginning all the way until the end. At no time can you have more than 10 of the listed parts which be imported parts.

GettoPhilosopher
01-05-2011, 9:01 PM
There is no law against owning a firearm that doesn't comply.

Wait, if this is true why do people even talk about staying 922(r) compliant? I mean, why all the fuss over "If I put a pistol grip on my Saiga, I have to replace the trigger/muzzle device/piston too or else I'm breaking 922(r)!!!!"?? Why waste money on parts you already own if this doesn't apply to possession?

luckystrike
01-05-2011, 9:12 PM
nothing says a US made part has to read "USA" on it. burdon of proof is on them.

nagorb
01-05-2011, 9:55 PM
nothing says a US made part has to read "USA" on it. burdon of proof is on them.

But its cheap insurance, otherwise the burden of paying a lawyer is yours.

luckystrike
01-06-2011, 2:39 AM
But its cheap insurance, otherwise the burden of paying a lawyer is yours.

so is driving 5 mph under the speed limit.

69Mach1
01-06-2011, 2:58 AM
Always follow the law(s).