PDA

View Full Version : New To Hunting Boar...

SLK619
01-05-2011, 7:06 PM
I plan on Hunting Boar in San Diego at the end of this month or next month but this is completely new to me. Wanted to see is you all could give me some advise on what I should look for while scouting. What I would need to clean it in the field..etc

I plan in using either my .308 or a 30-30

I'm gonna take my BOB (modified for hunting) with large garbage bags, 550 cord, Binoculars, first-aid kit, etc...

Any recommendations on what else I should bring or tips in general would help me out greatly!!!!

Thanks in advance....

lewdogg21
01-05-2011, 7:22 PM
Latex gloves And some handiwipes for cleaning up after gutting

CavTrooper
01-05-2011, 7:32 PM
Lucky rabbitts foot?

ScottB
01-05-2011, 7:35 PM
Make sure you have pig tags and a valid hunting license. Take someone who knows how and go to school on them. Good luck. San Diego is long odds. Best bet is central California.

ElvenSoul
01-05-2011, 7:36 PM
Patience and lots of it...

ElvenSoul
01-05-2011, 7:37 PM
The 30-30 will do the job with some good Barnes Bullets.

Helpful_Cub
01-05-2011, 7:46 PM
Don't forget your knife for gutting! Some people like to use a hanger device to make hanging and cleaning easier. They have two large hooks on the ends of a thick dowel rod, the hooks go into the back legs. Also if you want a good tasting pig look for a smaller one, 100-200 lbs. The monster hogs are old and much more gamey tasting.

duckman1
01-05-2011, 7:59 PM
The hanging device is called a gambrel.

jabell
01-05-2011, 8:57 PM
that would speed you through the learning curve quite quickly.
one that I started with is:
Hunting Wild Boar in California by Bob Robb
There are others but this one is specific to CA which is why I liked it.
Jeff

drs2714
01-05-2011, 8:59 PM
LMAO!

Trapper
01-05-2011, 9:13 PM
Lucky rabbitts foot?

+1 There are pigs in San Diego but I have seen very little sign on public land.

SLK619
01-05-2011, 9:25 PM
I went to the ranger station in alpine and they showed me where they were and gave me a map of the area....its forestry land so I'm hoping I will be able to find them

drs2714
01-05-2011, 9:27 PM
Yeah I heard they have been giving out maps there.

CavTrooper
01-05-2011, 9:41 PM
Yeah I heard they have been giving out maps there.

Ive heard that people have been ending up on Indian land looking for hogs. Not the best idea.

spectr17
01-05-2011, 9:56 PM
Take as much rope as you can get your hands on unless you have a pack to bone out the meat down in a hole somewhere. Use the rope to drag the pig out of the hell hole they seem to roll off into. I carry 300ft and I know some pig hunters who carry 500ft. Some even make custom spools for the rope on the back of their rigs to facilitate winding the rope in and out. Almost like a winch setup but no winch motor to make a yank.

DirtyDave
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
GOOD BOOTS. Cuz you are going to hike your azz off and not see any pigs

GrizzlyGuy
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
While scouting, look for areas that appear to have been plowed or rototilled. That's a sure sign of pigs. Unless you see tractor or rototiller tracks, of course... ;)

I don't know about SoCal, but they really like wet spots (springs, areas near streams, etc.) on our property in NorCal.

rumblebee
01-06-2011, 3:07 PM
you definitely do not want to end up on reservation land :shock:

Ive heard that people have been ending up on Indian land looking for hogs. Not the best idea.

180ls1
01-06-2011, 6:57 PM

you definitely do not want to end up on reservation land :shock:

agreed! They have a guy who is guiding people down there to hunt and if your are killing their pigs you are taking their money....

ScottB
01-07-2011, 6:50 AM
agreed! They have a guy who is guiding people down there to hunt and if your are killing their pigs you are taking their money....

That's the only reason there are pigs there at all. Someone - that guy or someone like him on the reservation, illegally imported and released wild pigs. DFG and anyone else who cares half a wit about the environment is not real happy with the situation. Pigs are a hugely destructive invasive species. If you find them, kill as many as you can (have enough tags, of course)

professionalcoyotehunter
01-07-2011, 7:27 AM
GOOD BOOTS. Cuz you are going to hike your azz off and not see any pigs

Please,try not to discourage any new hunters from going out. Just my .02. If he wants to try let him. There is no harm in trying.

CavTrooper
01-07-2011, 7:49 AM
That's the only reason there are pigs there at all. Someone - that guy or someone like him on the reservation, illegally imported and released wild pigs. DFG and anyone else who cares half a wit about the environment is not real happy with the situation. Pigs are a hugely destructive invasive species. If you find them, kill as many as you can (have enough tags, of course)

Im pretty sure it was not the tribes that released the pigs but someone who wanted to open up a new hunting "opportunity" for them and their buddies.

180ls1
01-07-2011, 3:14 PM
Im pretty sure it was not the tribes that released the pigs but someone who wanted to open up a new hunting "opportunity" for them and their buddies.

From what i have heard it was an Indian guy or something like that and he released them a few years ago. Now he guides people hunting them on the Indian land. That could be wrong but thats what a USDA guy told me who was doing depredation work.

owenriquez
01-07-2011, 3:22 PM
don't forget the insect spray before skinning and gutting to protect yourself from fleas... good luck

Howie44
01-07-2011, 3:23 PM
don't forget the insect spray before skinning and gutting to protect yourself from fleas... good luck

Or ticks!

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-07-2011, 3:23 PM
I plan on Hunting Boar in San Diego

sows taste better ;)

5shot
01-07-2011, 3:32 PM
The pigs were originally stocked on the local indian reservation as a source of hunting revenue. They've since expanded to the public lands surrounding the reservation. Here's the info we received last summer from Cleveland Natl Forest.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/SD_pigs.jpg?t=1294442773

Page 2
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/SD_pigs2.jpg?t=1294443084

SLK619
01-07-2011, 3:33 PM
So this is what I have got so far from you all"

1. Latex gloves And some handiwipes for cleaning up after gutting
2. tags and a valid hunting license (Of course)
3. Do not end up on Indian Land without permission
4. Take as much rope as you can get your hands on
5. look for areas that appear to have been plowed or rototilled. They really like wet spots (springs, areas near streams, etc.
6. GOOD BOOTS and lots of Patience
7. insect spray before skinning and gutting to protect yourself from fleas

thanks for all the input.... anything else?

rodeoflyer
01-07-2011, 3:34 PM
Don't take a knife - take TWO. Especially because you are a rookie, your knife will be dull long before you are done.

1. Credit card size letter openers from Office Depot cost a buck and are great for unzipping game.

2. A cheapo filet knife from the fishing section at WalMart works well for skinning.

180ls1
01-07-2011, 3:44 PM
there also is a report of them rooting up an apple orchard in Julian, dfg might be able to direct you in that area.

5shot
01-07-2011, 3:45 PM
So this is what I have got so far from you all"

4. Take as much rope as you can get your hands on

That's only necessary if your hunting in steep terrain with deep canyons. Very applicable to places like Tejon Ranch and like places. Not sure how the CNF is in that area is. But if the area your hunting is more rolling hills, plateaus, etc., you won't need to wench a pig up a 200' canyon to the road.

That area is getting a lot of publicity on the net, so be prepared to run into a lot of road hunters. You may want to find some likely looking spots on google earth, take a good pack rack and get as far away from the road as you can. The farther from the road, the less hunters you'll run into. If you get one, bone it out and pack it out.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-07-2011, 3:45 PM
so 5shot, with all the issues with non-native species.... of anything, how did the reserve get away with "planting" hogs? Can they just do whatever the heck they want?

5shot
01-07-2011, 3:54 PM
so 5shot, with all the issues with non-native species.... of anything, how did the reserve get away with "planting" hogs? Can they just do whatever the heck they want?

I guess they pulled the "Sovereign Nation" card, even though California reservations are supposed to follow state laws. It doesn't appear that DFG or NFS are going to go after them about it.

AAShooter
01-07-2011, 4:03 PM
Just an FYI . . . the DFG has a Hunter Education Clinic on boar hunting in April. It is usually taught by avid hunters and often DFG biologists. More information is here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced/wildpig_salinas.aspx

This series of clinics is a great way to improve your general skills as well as specific hunting skills.

DirtyDave
01-07-2011, 5:22 PM
Please,try not to discourage any new hunters from going out. Just my .02. If he wants to try let him. There is no harm in trying.

Not discouraging him, just preparing him for REALITY. Yes SD has a small population of pigs, but they are very very hard to hunt. They are in the Deepest canyons with the thickest brush and the farthest away from the roads.

Better off going to Camp Roberts or Fort Hunter Ligget

spectr17
01-07-2011, 8:27 PM
Not sure how the CNF is in that area is. But if the area your hunting is more rolling hills, plateaus, etc., you won't need to wench a pig up a 200' canyon to the road.

They are in the Deepest canyons with the thickest brush and the farthest away from the roads.

Hence the rope, the ones who actually hunt that area are your best source for info.

GrizzlyGuy
01-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Here are a few safety tips:

1) Wild pigs are potentially dangerous animals. Treat them with respect.

2) If you happen to see a sow with her little ones, stay alert. If mama thinks you are a threat to her babies, she will charge you. I had that happen to me while unarmed on a mountain bike ride in the Bay Area of all places. Had there not been a fence/gate just up ahead of me that I hopped, it could have been a real bad day.

3) See above, and note that wild pigs are pretty fast. They aren't as fast as a bear or cat, but they're probably a lot faster than you might expect if you haven't seen them in action. Unless you're Carl Lewis with a big head start, you won't be able to outrun one that is pissed off and has you in its sights. Carl might not even be able outrun one.

4) If you see a boar (or really any pig) and decide to drop it, then... drop it. See above, annoying a pig with an ineffective shot is no fun. Had that happen to me once as well when I was pretty young (11-ish years old) and real stupid (tried to drop a large boar with between-the-eyes shots from my trusty bolt action .22). To make things worse, the boar was uphill of me and had a pretty clear path to me. I lucked out and eventually did drop him as he was on his way to me, but that experience is still in my top-3 most scariest moments of my life list. :eek:

5shot
01-08-2011, 11:04 AM
More info:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/29/hogs-wild-feral-pigs-zieralski/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/18/wild-pig-hunt-truly-a-bonding-experience/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/hunting/cnf_pig_hunting_info-2010-4-2.pdf

ElvenSoul
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Talk to farmers and give them your cell#... nobody hates wild pigs like farmers.

olhunter
01-08-2011, 2:08 PM
San Diego?

Hunt coyotes and rabbits.

Get your pork chops and bacon at Albertsons.

SLK619
01-08-2011, 5:48 PM
went scouting today and didn't find a thing...... still gonna keep looking until i find something..... I did find a tick on me when I got back..... I had to get into the think of it to get to the river...... next weekend should be better.....

Hunt
01-08-2011, 7:59 PM
Or ticks!

san diego! ok get something to keep the lyme disease ticks off of you, then get a helicopter to get in and out of the canyons and a really good gps for when the indians confiscate your car guns and gear for being on their soveriegn land otherwise a piece of cake.

chewy352
01-09-2011, 9:07 AM
went scouting today and didn't find a thing...... still gonna keep looking until i find something..... I did find a tick on me when I got back..... I had to get into the think of it to get to the river...... next weekend should be better.....

Ehhhh we got some good leads. Still waiting for that email.

Trapper
01-09-2011, 9:40 AM

On a positive note, by following the DFG maps you did find some good areas for ground squirrels, coyotes, and rabbits. Good luck with the pigs!

180ls1
01-09-2011, 3:21 PM

very cool thats how it goes, be carefull how far down you go down the river. I had an Indian guy fire his semiautomatic rifle into the ground repeatedly and was yelling cause he thought i was on Indian land. Scared me pretty good since i was close but not even on Indian land. I didnt even see the guy before he started shooting and I only had my bow.

chewy352
01-09-2011, 3:33 PM
very cool thats how it goes, be carefull how far down you go down the river. I had an Indian guy fire his semiautomatic rifle into the ground repeatedly and was yelling cause he thought i was on Indian land. Scared me pretty good since i was close but not even on Indian land. I didnt even see the guy before he started shooting and I only had my bow.

I had my .45 with me just for that reason. But of course our #1 defense was being absolutely sure we stayed on public property.

DirtyDave
01-09-2011, 3:36 PM
Check this
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=382249

180ls1
01-09-2011, 3:49 PM
I had my .45 with me just for that reason. But of course our #1 defense was being absolutely sure we stayed on public property.

Ya thats good i stay strapped after that event almost 100% of the time while im hunting now, even bowhunting. The closest i got to the indian land was about 150-200 yards and thats the Gods honest truth. Apparently that was too close for this guy.

clay32
01-09-2011, 3:55 PM
Check this
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=382249

+1
You can't spend a better $450, especially as a beginning boar hunter (which I am as well), lots of experience to draw from and diverse terrain to hunt.

180ls1
01-09-2011, 5:26 PM
I also found a crack pipe when i was down there near the indian land.

SLK619
01-09-2011, 5:36 PM
From what the map was telling chewy352 and I, we were no where near Indian land but I had a good time hiking threw the middle of nowhere. Ya i was thinking about doing something of like that but $450 if a huge chunk of change. Trying to find someone to possibly help me out or show me the ropes a bit but I'm gonna keep trying no matter what.

Thanks for all the help guys its great input for a beginner like me!!!

DirtyDave
01-09-2011, 6:09 PM
Ya i was thinking about doing something of like that but $450 if a huge chunk of change. Trying to find someone to possibly help me out or show me the ropes a bit but I'm gonna keep trying no matter what.

You have a few months til the Tejon hunt, start putting some money aside now.
Actually $450 aint squat compared to what you spend in all the gas money and food for camping etc on all those weekends trying to hunt SD and coming up empty handed.
The Tejon hunt is great for noobs, there is a bunch of experienced guys that are willing to help you out. Your odds of getting a shot are WAY better than SD.
Its more than just a hunt, especially for noobs. The amount of info you will pick up in 1 weekend is more than you will pick up in a year of doing it on your own.
YMMV, but I got my pig last year only 3 hours into the hunt on friday afternoon.

180ls1
01-09-2011, 7:44 PM
Have you found a food source? If there is no feed there will be no game unless you catch a few moving through the area.

SLK619
01-10-2011, 2:57 PM
what kind of food source should i be looking for?

CavTrooper
01-10-2011, 2:59 PM
what kind of food source should i be looking for?

Acorns.

Find water/mud holes too.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-10-2011, 3:36 PM
Barley is a good source as well.

lewdogg21
01-10-2011, 5:14 PM
Barley is a good source as well.

I prefer finding alfalfa fields for my deer and elk. :p

edgerly779
01-17-2011, 5:25 AM
Barnes non lead bullets not mandatory in san diego, riverside, imperial counties don't hamper yourself. Use expanding lead bullets.

clay32
01-19-2011, 8:59 PM
I'm gonna take my BOB (modified for hunting) with large garbage bags...

Any recommendations on what else I should bring or tips in general would help me out greatly!!!!

Thanks in advance....

Forget the garbage bags, if you do get something they will spoil your meat (especially if it's hot), get yourself some old pillowcases and wash 'em, they let the meat breath and stay cool (while keeping flies off), WAY better for packing out your kill.

DirtyDave
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Forget the garbage bags, if you do get something they will spoil your meat (especially if it's hot), get yourself some old pillowcases and wash 'em, they let the meat breath and stay cool (while keeping flies off), WAY better for packing out your kill.

Ditto that, I went to the goodwill and bought 6 plain white pillow cases for 25 cents each

SLK619
01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Good to know about the Pillowcases... this has been really helpful.... I can always use any advise you all have for me!!!!!

jb229
01-20-2011, 7:37 AM
SLK619 you forgot 1 piece of important equipment, Binoculars. The best way to hunt hogs is find a high point and glass hillsides. Also constantly check the wind to make sure its blowing on your face and not on your back.

Good luck

Bo0tyBandit
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Keep us updated SLK619, we need something other than rabbit and turkey to hunt in San Diego county.

Hunt
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM

so where is the advertisement for these hunts? I never heard of them

Hunt
01-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Keep us updated SLK619, we need something other than rabbit and turkey to hunt in San Diego county.

well there are about 5 mule deer bucks on Palomar Mountain, 4 0r 5 more in the Lagunas and about 10 south of hwy 8 so don't forget the great deer hunting here as well.

Bo0tyBandit
01-21-2011, 7:46 AM
well there are about 5 mule deer bucks on Palomar Mountain, 4 0r 5 more in the Lagunas and about 10 south of hwy 8 so don't forget the great deer hunting here as well.

:o I forgot about the deer hunt we got here, I hear Julian has some action as well.

SLK619
01-21-2011, 3:19 PM
I will check that out as well..... When is the season for deer? I wanna say October?

thanks,

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-21-2011, 3:25 PM
there are a few different zones you can get deer tags for in SoCal. Take a look at the big game regs, they'll straighten you out. Some zones are a draw, so you need to have your ducks in a row before June.

180ls1
01-21-2011, 5:35 PM
so where is the advertisement for these hunts? I never heard of them

I heard this from a USDA agent doing depredation on them, I also want to say I read that in the paper how true that is I cant confirm. The hunts have been done for friends and family, not open to the general public.

Maddog5150
01-22-2011, 4:53 AM
OP, if you decide on a date, I'd love to try out my scout and hump the local areas.

Flying_clutchman
01-23-2011, 7:57 AM
Another noob hunter in San Diego here, one of my New Year's Resolution is to start hunting boar. So If anyone ever wants to go scout, I am up for it. I could go for a good hike.

Maddog5150
01-23-2011, 3:26 PM
I'm new to San Diego, anyone want to show me the lay of the land or tell me where to get a map for the specific areas prefurably in MGRS I'm totally game. It could be fun to scout for areas like ruts or burrows, feeding places. May have to barrow a rifle tho :( Cant store a rifle where I live.

SLK619
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Update:

Another calguner and I went up to the cedar creek falls area off of Eagle Peak Road (Julian) and hiked in about 2 miles and walked up and down the stream and I didn't see any signs of Boar. we got in at about 6am and found a good area and scouted the stream before we walked it and nothing. I guess its a waiting game and a lot of luck. I was thinking that the boars tend to stay on private land because its less traveled by hikers and such. anyone else have any luck in the SD area?