PDA

View Full Version : Calif Compliant Full Auto Question

LMT4ME
01-05-2011, 6:36 PM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed (I search several hours).

Questions:
1) Is it possible to buy NFA items, specifically a registered drop in auto sear (RDIAS), in California going through the NFA process and using an NFA trust or (probably impossible) getting a CLEO signature?
see:http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

2) If it is possible legally buy a RDIAS, could one install it in a California compliant AR (i.e. with a bullet button) along with a full auto bolt carrier group and M16 (full auto) fire control group?
I realizes this would be a pretty lame full auto weapon - 10 rnds + a bullet button but it would be cool. Nowhere on the AW flow chart does full auto operation appear.

3) Alternatively could a RDIAS + auto parts be installed in a featureless build (fixed stock + no pistol grip) with a detachable 30 rnd mag provided one has pre ban 30 rnd mags?
Now this would be very cool if possible.

HowardW56
01-05-2011, 6:38 PM
WOW, hell of a first post....

I don't know the answer.... But for a first post to be asking questions about full auto........

Lancear15
01-05-2011, 6:48 PM
Welcome aboard. I agree, great first post. No way you can FA NFA tax stamps in CA as a normal citizen. Ill let the legal beagles explain why. But in the future anything is possible. Stick around you'll like it here.

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 6:49 PM
No MGs in CA unless you can get a CADOJ Dangerous Weapons permit, and those are virtually impossible to get.

dustoff31
01-05-2011, 6:53 PM
Questions:
1) Is it possible to buy NFA items, specifically a registered drop in auto sear (RDIAS), in California going through the NFA process and using an NFA trust or (probably impossible) getting a CLEO signature?

In theory it is possible. In practice, not bloody likely as our british friends would say.

In addition to the form 4, and as a condition of getting it, you must obtain a permit from the CA Dept of Justice. Such permits are subject the DOJ's discretion and their acceptance of your good cause statement, and therefore simply not issued. At least not to the average person/entity. Sounds a lot like the CCW racket doesn't it?

We The People Firearms
01-05-2011, 7:22 PM
I love it! People will flip out over that first post. "The Feds are trolling!!!" Naaahh. I'm ex-LE, cops don't have the grammar, spelling and sentence structure that you have.

yellowfin
01-05-2011, 7:22 PM
In theory it is possible. In practice, not bloody likely as our british friends would say.

In addition to the form 4, and as a condition of getting it, you must obtain a permit from the CA Dept of Justice. Such permits are subject the DOJ's discretion and their acceptance of your good cause statement, and therefore simply not issued. At least not to the average person/entity. Sounds a lot like the CCW racket doesn't it?
Which after CCW shall issue is attained by lawsuit, it might not be too farfetched an idea a couple years thereafter to sue to make that permit shall issue too.

AJAX22
01-05-2011, 7:24 PM
02/07FFL's with a half dozen letters from LEO agencies are getting turned down for those permits...

private people don't really have a chance.

However you can own a legal entity which controls/possesses those types of things in other states... and you can visit your toys.

dustoff31
01-05-2011, 7:33 PM
Which after CCW shall issue is attained by lawsuit, it might not be too farfetched an idea a couple years thereafter to sue to make that permit shall issue too.

Anything is possible. But I'm thinking it will be way more than a couple of years, if ever, for courts to force the NFA issue. Even SCOTUS in Heller, how shall I say it? Wasn't particulary sympathetic?

yellowfin
01-05-2011, 7:44 PM
In Heller they said they weren't sympathetic because they couldn't take that step at the time. They probably know full well that the totality of gun restrictions are nothing but meaningless crap that has no place in America, but they couldn't come right out and say so because they have to appear fair.

Bogart
01-05-2011, 8:12 PM
I'm guessing statute of limitations doesn't pertain to assault weapons or MGs.

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 8:37 PM

sure they do. when you stop committing the crime of illegally possessing taht AW/MG, the SOL clock starts.

obeygiant
01-05-2011, 8:48 PM
sure they do. when you stop committing the crime of illegally possessing taht AW/MG, the SOL clock starts.

:43: sigworthy.

6172crew
01-05-2011, 9:59 PM
No MGs in CA unless you can get a CADOJ Dangerous Weapons permit, and those are virtually impossible to get.

They said that about a few other things.:43:

I own a few tax stamps and I am waiting for the day I can bring them into my (CA) state. 6 stamps wont hurt anyone, right?;)

ke6guj
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
They said that about a few other things.:43:I know, huh :D

and who knows, that "LEOs can possess personally-owned MGs, off-duty, without needing a DW permit" exemption might be real. it would be a limited opening, but it would be an opening for some of our friends in blue.

battleship
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
CADOJ Dangerous weapons permit, so the thinking is that my Ca legal AR's are not considered dangerous, :eek: Or just less dangerous if there is such a thing.

taperxz
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
CADOJ Dangerous weapons permit, so the thinking is that my Ca legal AR's are not considered dangerous, :eek: Or just less dangerous if there is such a thing.

Thats interesting that they have this classification. Wonder where the scrutiny came from? If a handgun or rifle is not in the dangerous class, then:shrug:

badicedog
01-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I know of one local manufacturer of Class III here in So. Cal. You can catch him shooting full auto at West End Gun club nearly every weekend.:43: I wonder how he got his permit...:confused:

B Strong
01-06-2011, 6:41 AM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed (I search several hours).

Questions:

Not for a non - SOT.

2) If it is possible legally buy a RDIAS, could one install it in a California compliant AR (i.e. with a bullet button) along with a full auto bolt carrier group and M16 (full auto) fire control group?
I realizes this would be a pretty lame full auto weapon - 10 rnds + a bullet button but it would be cool. Nowhere on the AW flow chart does full auto operation appear.

See above

3) Alternatively could a RDIAS + auto parts be installed in a featureless build (fixed stock + no pistol grip) with a detachable 30 rnd mag provided one has pre ban 30 rnd mags?
Now this would be very cool if possible.

See above.

My answers in bold.

Here in California, unless you are a licensed Manufacturer or dealer, you're not going to get your hands on non C. & R. NFA weapons and devices.

Best to focus on getting a legal residence in an NFA friendly state, and get your goodies there.