PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that in our lifetime CA's gun laws will ever get less restrctive?

TonyNorCal
08-05-2006, 9:51 AM
Do you think that in our lifetime CA's gun laws will ever get less restrictive?

Or is it only going to be a steady decline until it's illegal to own a potato gun?

chris
08-05-2006, 10:33 AM
good question right now i think we are in a fight to determin that very question. this election year is very important. we have an incumbent governor who has signed some laws but has veteod many. we also have a candidate that has never saw anti-gun legislation he did not like.

so if we vote to keep Arnold in we may have a chance if he loses we have a fight that will rival some battles in armed conflict. it is my deepest hope we can turn the tide on this issue. we allready have some victories so we can win it's just a matter of how long and what will happen this year.

maschronic
08-05-2006, 10:47 AM
i think the gun law will get worse as time goes on. its like gas prices. it only goes up over time.

PanzerAce
08-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Personally, I think that the laws will slowly get worse, even with the NRA trying there damnedest to stop them. And then there will be a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario (Race riots, earthquake, etc) and people will realize that the only people that came out relativley unscathed from the violence were those that had firearms for protection.

Either that, or the general trend in politics will shift, and Demos wont care any more about banning guns.

joe4702
08-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Nope, not in any major way. Minor improvements like we've seen recently, perhaps. But I don't see the AW bans, handgun "saftey testing", 1-a-month, "may issue" CCW, etc. changing for the better in the foreseable future.

Best we can hope for is preventing any new gun control laws from being enacted. With the current governor, that's been pretty sucessful except for AB50. However, I fear once the governors seat gets back into liberal Democrat hands, the gun control floodgates will open up again like they were under Grey Dufus.

JPglee1
08-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Um...potato guns are already illegal. ;)

Yah it sucks too, cuz my buddy had a *****en "pre-ban" spud launcher...

With V05 hairspray and 1/2 a spud it would launch literally 500yds no problem.

We shot it thru a television set one time, all the way thru the screen, tube and out the back of the cabinet. Left "mashed potato" residue, funny as hell :D

We shot it at a car door and it left a "cartoon-like" dent in the door, a stretched out outline of a potato, it was also pretty funny.

This was back in 2000 or so, way before they were "banned"

J

Paul1960
08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Something has to give.

The Democrats have a stranglehold on the legislature far beyond their voter base. Years ago they gave themselves the power to cut their districts any which way they want. Federal election prohibits the practice called gerrymandering.

Last presidential election the results went down about 54%/46% yet the liberal have about 75% of the California legislature.

A second effect on the election results are expressed by the media's influence during election day - as the results start pouring in the media somehow manages to get it wrong more often than not ... and start talking about the liberal landslide. Everybody loves a winner - look at the sport's phenomena where a winning team gets lots of fans as long as they're winning. Republican voters hearing of the landslide back east think why miss another night of American Idol to cast a vote in a losing effort?

There are plenty of illegal laws that are enforced here in California today but none is more important that redistricting the state along city lines rather than the crafty manipulation that the democrats have done.

Muzz
08-05-2006, 6:10 PM
It's all about the congressional districts. The lying scheming bastages who draw them (lets see now...who controls the legislature?) make sure a Republican doesn't have a snowball's chance. (They drew Republicans some "safe" districts as well) Remember the redistricting plan we voted against last November...that was our shot. After the next census we need to scream and go to court like illegal alien lawyers about fair redistricting.

Finally..ending voter fraud...Some way has to be found to prevent this. Dems wouldn't win another election anywhere without their fraud machine (Illegals, felons, dead persons, incapacitated seniors, homeless, etc. who all seem to vote for Dems)

MAKE VOTING HONEST AND AIRTIGHT AND DEMS WILL BE ELECTED TO NEAR EXTINCTION WITHIN TWO PRESIDENTIAL CYCLES.

Then, and only then, will you stop seeing bills for microstamping.

HomeLandSecurityRifle
08-05-2006, 7:14 PM
Where does it say Potato guns were banned?

I just searched all the DOJ site and I cant find anything pertaining to Potato guns. I see blow guns, but no potato guns.

The ATF finds them perfectly legal as long as they are not used maliciously.

JPglee1
08-05-2006, 8:10 PM
Something about being over .50caliber and using a propellant besides compressed air.

Compressed spud guns are still legal.

I've read the law somewhere, I remember cuz I had to cut mine up after I read it :(

J

Mudvayne540ld
08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
i read somewhere that it is legal to own in every state except Arizona. And that is only if it is a combustion one.

five.five-six
08-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Personally, I think that the laws will slowly get worse, even with the NRA trying there damnedest to stop them. And then there will be a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario (Race riots, earthquake, etc) and people will realize that the only people that came out relativley unscathed from the violence were those that had firearms for protection.

Either that, or the general trend in politics will shift, and Demos wont care any more about banning guns.

the media will paint anyone who dose not wait around like lemmings for the government to bail them out as nutjobs and malcontents just as they did in the rodney (cant we all just get along) king / Maxine (no justice no peace) watters riots and katrena

rep. waters should have been brought up on charges for enciteing the riots

glockk9mm
08-06-2006, 7:51 AM
does anyone think that it's going to get to the point where they make us turn in our guns or they'll come and confiscate them?

JPglee1
08-06-2006, 7:55 AM
does anyone think that it's going to get to the point where they make us turn in our guns or they'll come and confiscate them?

Hopefully :D :cool:

JP

The Soup Nazi
08-06-2006, 8:15 AM
Yeah. Its either they progressively take em away and we don't even notice it, or they do a full out confiscation and you've got a Californian civil war.

Satex
08-06-2006, 8:44 AM
I think everything operates in cycles. As gun laws get more restrictive and more victims are created public opinion will shift from "lets make love" to "lets defend our lives". At that point, I anticipate many of these laws to go away.
The only question is when will the tide change Ė and I canít answer that.

SemiAutoSam
08-06-2006, 9:13 AM
It's all about the congressional districts. The lying scheming bastages who draw them (lets see now...who controls the legislature?) make sure a Republican doesn't have a snowball's chance. (They drew Republicans some "safe" districts as well) Remember the redistricting plan we voted against last November...that was our shot. After the next census we need to scream and go to court like illegal alien lawyers about fair redistricting.

Finally..ending voter fraud...Some way has to be found to prevent this. Dems wouldn't win another election anywhere without their fraud machine (Illegals, felons, dead persons, incapacitated seniors, homeless, etc. who all seem to vote for Dems)

MAKE VOTING HONEST AND AIRTIGHT AND DEMS WILL BE ELECTED TO NEAR EXTINCTION WITHIN TWO PRESIDENTIAL CYCLES.

Then, and only then, will you stop seeing bills for microstamping.

There will always be voter fraud. There is voter fraud before a ballet is punched and or even before anyone registers to vote as we haven't had honest elections since about 1944 or there abuts.

I know your all saying HUH? What does he mean by that right?

Ill give a hint back prior to 1944 the only people that could vote were called electors.

The voters were qualified to vote by their status as a landowner.

I realize this may be a strange concept to some of you but thatís how they did it back then and it made a lot of since IMO.

The link below might help those understand that have an interest.
http://www.teamlaw.org/control.htm

SAS Dons flame proof suit. and dives for cover.

amd64
08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Gun laws will become more restrictive. Because California demographics will continue in a direction that supports gun grabbers. And not enough gun owners in California are gun/one-issue voters.

mikehaas
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure of the value of this discussion. We're at war, we have hills to take and failure is not an option.

I see a danger too - if you cause gun owners to focus on the long-term aspects of fighting gun control, they may get discouraged and drop out. We need them to stay engaged. Each incremental win is important strategically AND motivationally.

In 1999, NRA-ILA Director Tanya Metaksa gave a speech in San Francisco. She touched on the long-term aspects of this fight...

"...There is a future -- a future of struggle -- a long struggle. And running away to Nevada or any other state wonít blot out or shorten the struggle. Without you in that struggle, the Second Amendment will not prevail as it did in 1925 to stop mob hysteria..."

"...When I look into the Second Amendment's future, I see every one of you, but let me be perfectly honest. I see your children too, and grandchildren (yours and mine), and your great grandchildren. Because this one, this one is the long one. No quick fixes, no cheap way outs, no silver bullets. Just one very, very long haul that will outlast us all..."
http://www.nrawinningteam.com/tm/cadream3.html

This is the fight we need to prepare for, mentally and physically. We need to arrange our schedules to allow for more time for volunteerism, more cooperation with NRA. We all need to each start DOING what so many, for so many years, sat around and waited for NRA to do. I hope by now you've all seen NRA can't win this battle alone. In this state, they need us like no other place (and we certainly need them.)

Mrs. Metaksa's "California Dreamin'" series is available here:
http://www.nrawinningteam.com/tm/
(BTW, she hates being addresses as "Ms." :-)

Gun-owners exist in such number, if we woke up our own, there would NEVER be a gun bill proposed. NRA is busting butt doing their job - we need to get our friends and neighbors on board. Just think of the number of gun-owners that don't even VOTE! You and I - NRA's grassroots - have much work to do.

Lastly, remember how the anti's scored THEIR big victories - with a lot of incremental wins first. Over the last 5 years or so, NRA has literally taught the legislatuire that they can pass pro-gun bills, they can support gun-owners, and the political world won't fall down on them. I firmly believe the Second Amendment aircraft has pulled out of the dive, has leveled out and starting to climb. But we ALL need to pull on that stick!

http://calnra.com/volunteer/

Mike

Dont Tread on Me
08-06-2006, 5:30 PM
Mike Hass is right. We are in a long fight where every incremental win is something to celebrate. We are not going to get our rights back in one swoop but by the inch. We also need to defend them by the inch and not let the anti gun sheepeople get any ground.

WolfMansDad
08-06-2006, 9:47 PM
I think they will get less restrictive. I see a good chance that the assault weapons ban will be lifted, partially at least, entirely at best.

I also see CCW reform coming.

I do not, however, forsee the end of waiting periods or registration, and I do anticipate more regulation of ammunition. Now might be a good time to get into reloading!

TKo_Productions
08-06-2006, 9:50 PM
I see a good chance that the assault weapons ban will be lifted, partially at least, entirely at best.

You seem very optomistic. I'm curious though, how do you see the lifting of the AW ban coming about?

Charliegone
08-06-2006, 11:09 PM
You seem very optomistic. I'm curious though, how do you see the lifting of the AW ban coming about?

I think, the legislature will just plain give up (if we keep trying) in trying to keep these rather stupid laws in place. I don't see it as being complete removed but eased in the future.

TKo_Productions
08-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I think, the legislature will just plain give up (if we keep trying) in trying to keep these rather stupid laws in place. I don't see it as being complete removed but eased in the future.

I could see a stalemate occurring if you were able to convert/convince enough voters, politicians, and bureaucrats (a monumental task in itself). But a reversal or removal of current law? I don't see it happening. Not in our current state, with our current legislature, and not in the foreseeable future.

:( :( :(

mikehaas
08-07-2006, 8:49 AM
...Now might be a good time to get into reloading!...
INDEED! Anytime is a good time for that! And might I suggest...
http://AmmoGuide.com/

I kinda like the place. :-)

Mike

Muzz
08-07-2006, 9:05 AM
There will always be voter fraud. There is voter fraud before a ballet is punched and or even before anyone registers to vote as we haven't had honest elections since about 1944 or there abuts.

I know your all saying HUH? What does he mean by that right?

Ill give a hint back prior to 1944 the only people that could vote were called electors.

The voters were qualified to vote by their status as a landowner.

I realize this may be a strange concept to some of you but thatís how they did it back then and it made a lot of since IMO.

The link below might help those understand that have an interest.
http://www.teamlaw.org/control.htm

SAS Dons flame proof suit. and dives for cover.
I'm actually aware of the historical voting system of 'electors.' I think the concept was that to vote you had to be a land owner which meant you had brains/business sense/money/power (pick one or all) to know what the heck you were doing in the voting booth. Modern example: That the non-property-owning voting masses in CA today couldn't vote a property tax increase on those who do own property. But now they can and do.
But working with the system today, IT HAS AS MANY HOLES IN IT AS OUR BORDER AND CAN'T BE TRUSTED. I'm telling ya...TWO election cycles with honest voting will fix it.

stag1500
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I think all of you would do well to read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. The situation in Occupied Kalifornia is getting out of control. Until there is some sort of a collapse in the system, the majority of the people won't realize the consequences of gun control. I think the next major ban is going to be for all centerfire rifles capable of carrying more than one round in the rifle at a time. Our comrades in Sacramento will use the excuse that they are too accurate and it is for our own protection.

Most of California just doesn't care about assault weapons or concealed carry or the fundamental truth that gun ownership is a society's only defense against an oppressive government. What's worse is that the Communists running this state know this very well and that's why they can get away with passing these rediculous laws that only hurt us and not the criminals in any way.

My point is that it's only going to get worse. I think a lot of people, not necessarily gun owner, are beginning to see this and are moving out of Kalifornia. I sympathize with them. I personally don't want to stick around and see the day when I become a felon over night while at the same time the real criminals are getting off the hook because of this damn legal system.

Maybe things will get better one day but who knows when that will be. I don't think it's going to happen in my life time. But that's just me.

The Soup Nazi
08-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Again, the craps going to have to hit the fan. He who survives, wins. Of course I'd love to get out of this damn state. Sell the overpriced 1 story tiny home for a nice 2 story in Texas or something. Aside from the fact that all of my exs live in Texas, can't see myself leaving here, the weather is too great, too much great stuff in this state including In-n-Out, and I really can't live with myself leaving everyone here. Got friends in school and on this board, and me leaving would equate to the Communists winning, its just the principle.

The state will flip over once the SHTF or the gun laws become so asinine that they serve as the catalyst to some civil revolt.

anotherone
08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
My personal prediction is that things will continue to get worse until the legislature finally bans individual ownership of guns (which they can do according to the state constitution). One will then be required to be a member of a hunting lodge, rifle range or other group and will have to store all firearms at that location. Handguns will be completely banned because there will be so many requirements for a handgun to get onto the approved list no one will bother making a handgun approved for sale. If we're lucky the fed C&R list will leave a few handguns and maybe a couple 1911s behind.

I don't think that anything is ever going to get confiscated, but I do believe the time to stockpile is now. Be sure you have all the M-14s, AR-15s (pinned off-list or regged in 2000), M-1s, and other semi-autos you can afford. Buy a handgun every month because who knows in 6 months we may not be able to anymore and that's only 6 more handguns!

Ultimately I think the situation will improve because there is an extremely conservative US surpreme court. It is inevitable that at some time in the future the supreme court will have to hear a 2nd amendment case. It is going to get to the point where gun control is so out of control that it can no longer be ignored.

just4fun63
08-07-2006, 6:49 PM
Ultimately I think the situation will improve because there is an extremely conservative US surpreme court. It is inevitable that at some time in the future the supreme court will have to hear a 2nd amendment case. It is going to get to the point where gun control is so out of control that it can no longer be ignored.

+1 But I think it will have to get worse first to force a case up to the Supreme Court.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we currently have the 9th curcut and the 7th curcut with conflicting rullings on the 2nd ammendment.:mad:

glockk9mm
08-07-2006, 7:42 PM
Why hasn't this been brought up to the u.s. supreme court already?

SemiAutoSam
08-07-2006, 7:43 PM
10A and states rights ? is my best guess.

Mudvayne540ld
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
yea.
States can be more restrictive :mad:

midnitereaper
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
The laws might get more restrictive and it might also be the issue to trigger the next revolution or civil war. The people of this country want to feel safe and are willing to give up our freedom in doing so. If you want to stop a potential revolution then speak to your neighbors and friends about what this country was originally about. Freedom! Freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of choice along with the freedom and choice to bear arms. With freedom comes responsability! Take responsability for your own actions and way of life. We must stand together against every and any political party in demand of our rights to freedom, liberty and justice for all!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government". -- Thomas Jefferson