PDA

View Full Version : check out my new antique colt da revolver

harmoniums
01-05-2011, 7:25 AM
XveRwDWqdQ4

any inputs on the timing issue?

Mike A
01-05-2011, 7:51 AM
Ask your timing question on the revolvers forum at www.coltforum.com Also search that site for threads on these revolvers; there have been several recently. "Timing is everything"!

Nice .41! A search of back articles in Handloader magazine will also find you handloading info on this rather peculiar cartridge. I think that you can find an online listing of old articles at the publisher's website: www.riflemagazine.com (Wolf Publications in AZ).

smle-man
01-05-2011, 8:49 AM
What is the concern or problem?

harmoniums
01-05-2011, 9:04 AM
What is the concern or problem?

It doesn't lock up tight when the trigger is pulled.
Meaning the cylinder may not be perfectly in line with the bore.
If a round is fired, I might hit the edge of the forcing cone and split it.

steamerjames
01-05-2011, 9:05 AM
The bad timing seems to be common to this model and it's a design problem(bad design) and i don't know how to fixt because mine has the same problem, only worse.The major problem seems to be because the cylinder turns the wrong way, and it causes wear to push the cylinder out of the gun.Later on Colt reversed the timing from clockwise to counderclockwise to solve this problem, i think it did.

Argonaut
01-05-2011, 9:20 AM
As Steamer said, These commonly have timing issues. The hands wear (quickly it seems) and they need repaired. These revolvers do not have firm control of the cylinder between the time the cylinder is released by the hands to allow rotation and it locks up prior to firing. Even when they are working properly, it is a little disconcerting. I have a Kuhnhausen book specifically about these revolvers that has tremendous detail about the workings and repair techniques. It looks more like watchmaker work than gunsmithing!!! I sent my last M1877 to a smith in Colorado that specialized in them, 200.00 later it worked like a charm.