PDA

View Full Version : C&R bought thru out of state gunshow

jmgray
08-04-2006, 6:42 PM
I'm trying to determine the legality of buying a M1 at the Big Reno Gun Show. I was just on the CADOJ website, I have not found my answer. Their site does show that CA does not define a M1 as a firearm, since the Feds define a M1 as a C&R. Can anyone answer this or point me to where this is addressed?

Edit:I know it can be brought back in thru a FFL, however I would like to drive this back myself.
TIA

M. Sage
08-04-2006, 7:11 PM
Unless you have a C&R license, I think you have to send it to a CA dealer and do your ten days.

Telpierion
08-04-2006, 7:20 PM
Their site does show that CA does not define a M1 as a firearm, since the Feds define a M1 as a C&R. Can anyone answer this or point me to where this is addressed?

I think you're confusing C&R and antique. C&R guns are firearms. It has been discussed a few times here in the past that theoretically there is nothing in the law that would prevent an unlicensed CA resident from purchasing a C&R long gun which is over 50 years old while out of state. However nobody is going to sell one to you.

EOD Guy
08-04-2006, 8:09 PM
The CMP was exempted from the Gun Control Act by Congress when they established the program. You can buy from them directly with no FFL involvement.

jmgray
08-04-2006, 8:42 PM
Ah, Thanks EOD Guy! Thats thats the scoop I was looking for.

jmgray
08-04-2006, 8:49 PM
Telpierion, I too was suprised that C&R long guns are not defined as firearms, particularly because the M1 can be a pretty mean force to recon with :)

Here is the citation and linky;

The term firearm does not apply to
federally defined “curio” or “relic” long guns over 50 years old for the purpose of
transfers between private parties. (Penal Code §§ 12001(e), 12078(t)(2).)

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

EOD Guy
08-05-2006, 6:50 AM
Telpierion, I too was suprised that C&R long guns are not defined as firearms, particularly because the M1 can be a pretty mean force to recon with :)

Here is the citation and linky;

The term firearm does not apply to
federally defined “curio” or “relic” long guns over 50 years old for the purpose of
transfers between private parties. (Penal Code §§ 12001(e), 12078(t)(2).)

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

They are still considered firearms. The citation only refers to the exemption from dealer transfer in private party sales.