PDA

View Full Version : local police tell me "harasment is not illegal"

destro360
01-04-2011, 6:12 PM

cbn620
01-04-2011, 6:16 PM
Call another agency such as the sheriffs and explain to them your dilemma. Someone is threatening you over the phone and local LEA refuses to even take a report.

five.five-six
01-04-2011, 6:17 PM
bummer

Castle Rock v. Gonzales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales)

buy a gun??

dantodd
01-04-2011, 6:18 PM
If he has texted threatening messages that is quite possibly grounds for a restraining order

Barkoff
01-04-2011, 6:19 PM
Take your texts down and get a restraining order on him, he'll enjoy that.

HowardW56
01-04-2011, 6:21 PM
It depends on the contents of the messages.

Section 422 PC...
Any person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which
will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with
the specific intent that the statement, made verbally, in writing, or
by means of an electronic communication device, is to be taken as a
threat, even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out,
which, on its face and under the circumstances in which it is made,
is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to
convey to the person threatened, a gravity of purpose and an
immediate prospect of execution of the threat, and thereby causes
that person reasonably to be in sustained fear for his or her own
safety or for his or her immediate family's safety, shall be punished
by imprisonment in the county jail not to exceed one year, or by
imprisonment in the state prison.

For the purposes of this section, "immediate family" means any
spouse, whether by marriage or not, parent, child, any person related
by consanguinity or affinity within the second degree, or any other
person who regularly resides in the household, or who, within the
prior six months, regularly resided in the household.

"Electronic communication device" includes, but is not limited to,
telephones, cellular telephones, computers, video recorders, fax
machines, or pagers. "Electronic communication" has the same meaning
as the term defined in Subsection 12 of Section 2510 of Title 18 of
the United States Code.

five.five-six
01-04-2011, 6:23 PM
is she hawt?? how did you end up in the "friend zone" I'd be more worried losing my man card than her ex attacking me

paul0660
01-04-2011, 6:23 PM
the problem with a TRO is that the other guy can do the same thing, with no evidence, and Destro would have to get rid of his guns for the duration.

Sometimes you just have to ignore stuff, but it is disappointing that the cops won't listen.

tgriffin
01-04-2011, 6:25 PM
Rises to terrorist threat I believe when the threat is specific, timely, and the perp has the means/opportunity. Ie different if he is outside your door. Agree with talk to sheriffs. Document document document. No detail too small.

Window_Seat
01-04-2011, 6:28 PM
Warren v. District of Columbia (http://gunrightsalert.com/documents/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia_444_A_2d_1.pdf)

And when (not if) all else fails;

San Joaquin - **TIME TO APPLY** (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352789)

Erik.

HowardW56
01-04-2011, 6:30 PM
Complete Document AT: http://www.stalkingalert.com/pc422elements.htm

California Penal Code 422
Elements of Criminal threats

Penal code Section 422 defines a criminal threat as:

"Any person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with the specific intent that the statement made verbally, in writing, or by means of an electronic communication device, is to be taken as a threat, even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out, which on its face and under the circumstances in which it is made, is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to convey to the person threatened a gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution of the threat, and thereby causes that person reasonably to be in sustained fear for his or her own safety or for his or her immediate familyís safety."

1. A person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person.

The principle difference between a criminal threat and stalking is that a criminal threat is truly a crime of words rather than conduct. As such, Section 422 does not require a pattern of conduct: one threat is sufficient. However, the threat must be one of death or great bodily injury against the victim or the victimís immediate family. However, recent case law indicates that even non-direct threats can be considered criminal threats depending on the surrounding circumstances.

2. The person who made the threat did so with the specific intent that the statement, made verbally, in writing, or by means of an electronic communication device, is to be taken as a threat.

The law does not require that the suspect had the intent to carry out the threat, only that the suspect intended the statement to be taken as a threat. The context and the circumstances under which the statement was uttered are important. The meaning of the threat must be gleaned from the words and all the surrounding circumstances.

3. The threatening statement, on its face and under the circumstances in which it was made, was so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to convey to the person threatened a gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution of the threat.

uyoga
01-04-2011, 6:37 PM
It appears that your best (and quickest) course of action is to go to the Sheriff as suggested above. Good Luck

HowardW56
01-04-2011, 6:39 PM
well here's the situation. yes i do owns guns, no i am not fearful of him physically but if he should happen to come to my house when im not home and cause property damage etc the burden of proving who it was is on me etc. now my second concern was if he does have the nuts or lack of sanity to attempt me harm via knife or deadly weapon i will shoot to kill. so i figured my safest bet would be first to make a report of what has been going on in case anything goes that far. he has been careful not to actually leave any voicemail threatening me but has by phone and is texting "im coming" haha which i must admit the text message threats are pretty pathetic but still i hate drama on all fronts and strive to avoid it.

Go get a TRO, your declaration and the texts should be enough...

N6ATF
01-04-2011, 6:40 PM
Should have asked the cop if homicide is illegal, because that's what's going to happen if this guy escalates to physical.

HowardW56
01-04-2011, 6:46 PM
If this is real, see that links below, fill out the forms, and see the court clerk at 8:00 AM tomorrow....

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/ch150.pdf

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/ch100.pdf

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/ch120.pdf

You will probably have a TRO before noon, you do not need a lawyer for this.

Fozz
01-04-2011, 6:49 PM
1. What Is Stalking?

Stalking refers to harassing or threatening behavior that is engaged in repeatedly. Such harassment can be either physical stalking or cyberstalking.

•Physical stalking is following someone, appearing at a person’s home or place of business, making harassing phone calls, leaving written messages or objects, or vandalizing one’s property.
•Cyberstalking involves using the Internet or other electronic means to harass. A January 2009 U.S. Department of Justice report found that 23% of stalking victims suffered some form of cyberstalking, and 6% suffered electronic monitoring such as spyware, bugging or video surveillance. (Bureau of Stalking Statistics, Stalking Victimization in the United States)
Either type of action may or may not be accompanied by a credible threat of serious harm. But both types can cause psychological damage, and each can potentially lead to an assault or even murder.

All states have anti-stalking laws, but the legal definitions vary. Some state laws require that the perpetrator, to qualify as a stalker, make a credible threat of violence against the victim. Others require only that the stalker’s conduct constitute an implied threat. The National Institute of Justice's Model Anti-Stalking Code doesn’t require stalkers to make a credible threat, but it does require victims to feel a high level of fear.

CA LAW: PC 646.9
In California, both criminal and civil laws address stalking. According to the criminal laws, a stalker is someone who willfully, maliciously and repeatedly follows or harasses another (victim) and who makes a credible threat with the intent to place the victim or victim's immediate family in fear for their safety. The victim does not have to prove that the stalker had the intent to carry out the threat. (California Penal Code 646.9, www.leginfo.ca.gov)

HowardW56
01-04-2011, 6:49 PM
im in the city limits and the sheriff does not have jurisdiction here only in county. they will refer me to pd. trust me i know. but thanks for the feedback fellas, i just found the officers words to be very strange.

The sheriff does not have responsibility there, they have jurisdiction (the ability to investigate).

The CHP could take the report and investigate if you convince them....

resident-shooter
01-04-2011, 6:50 PM
I say ignore the idiot. I have been in a similar situation. He texts because he is too scared to threaten u while looking u in the eyes. He is a cowardly child inside. Or text him a pic of a gun LOL

cbn620
01-04-2011, 6:58 PM
Uh don't text him a picture of a gun. Seriously.

I would at least try contacting the sheriff, you want to take every opportunity to get documentation. If no one will take documentation go in and file a complaint.

trapshot68
01-04-2011, 7:03 PM
Try having it documented under California Penal Code 653m.
(a) Every person who, with intent to annoy, telephones or
makes contact by means of an electronic communication device with
another and addresses to or about the other person any obscene
language or addresses to the other person any threat to inflict
injury to the person or property of the person addressed or any
member of his or her family, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in
this subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic
contacts made in good faith.
(b) Every person who, with intent to annoy or harass, makes
repeated telephone calls or makes repeated contact by means of an
electronic communication device, or makes any combination of calls or
contact, to another person is, whether or not conversation ensues
from making the telephone call or contact by means of an electronic
communication device, guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in this
subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic contacts
made in good faith or during the ordinary course and scope of
business.

wjc
01-04-2011, 7:31 PM
You might also want to consider logging the times, dates, and messages so you can accurately document the incidents in case you decide on a TRO or prosecution.

Flying Sig
01-04-2011, 7:54 PM
Is she from Norway? If so, you'll probably have to move....

Ron-Solo
01-04-2011, 8:04 PM
Try having it documented under California Penal Code 653m.
(a) Every person who, with intent to annoy, telephones or
makes contact by means of an electronic communication device with
another and addresses to or about the other person any obscene
language or addresses to the other person any threat to inflict
injury to the person or property of the person addressed or any
member of his or her family, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in
this subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic
contacts made in good faith.
(b) Every person who, with intent to annoy or harass, makes
repeated telephone calls or makes repeated contact by means of an
electronic communication device, or makes any combination of calls or
contact, to another person is, whether or not conversation ensues
from making the telephone call or contact by means of an electronic
communication device, guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in this
subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic contacts
made in good faith or during the ordinary course and scope of
business.

Trapshot has it right. This does not rise to the level of 422 PC....Yet. 653m covers voice and data.

Don't waste your time (or theirs) calling another agency. Instead, call that officer's watch commander. Based on what the OP stated, the officer clearly "kissed off" his/her duties. The watch commander will get it handled.

Restraining orders can backfire and result in a dual RO situation and result in a loss of gun rights until it can be resolved.

Always pissed me off when guys would kiss off a very simple report. I've seen guys spend more time kissing off a report than it would have taken them to write. Especially when I have to clean up their mess.

Regards,

Ron

frankm
01-04-2011, 8:06 PM
Did you tell him nothing's going on, you were just helping her move? I know he pisses you off, but tell him he's barking up the wrong tree.

sfguyhere
01-04-2011, 8:11 PM
thumbs up for, "trapshot68" call them again, site the code, texts, and how it all is a crime and they need to take the report. Also request a report receipt card.

If they refuse to take it, ask for a supervisor.

Be calm, respectful and professional.

jtmkinsd
01-04-2011, 8:13 PM
long story short i helped a female friend move over the weekend out of an apartment and a failing relationship. her ex is now under the impression that she was having an affair with me and has been calling and texting threatening messages to my phone. including that he is going to come to my house etc. i called to make a report in case things get ugly or violent if/when he shows up and the officer assigned told me that harassing phone calls and text are not illegal and they cant do anything about it. :rolleyes:

Remember this phrase: "At that point I felt my life was in danger."

bohoki
01-04-2011, 8:16 PM
why use the word harrass

you must use more inflammitory language such as stalking ,threatening,intimidating

quick draw mcgraw
01-04-2011, 8:21 PM
well here's the situation. yes i do owns guns, no i am not fearful of him physically but if he should happen to come to my house when im not home and cause property damage etc the burden of proving who it was is on me etc. now my second concern was if he does have the nuts or lack of sanity to attempt me harm via knife or deadly weapon i will shoot to kill. so i figured my safest bet would be first to make a report of what has been going on in case anything goes that far. he has been careful not to actually leave any voicemail threatening me but has by phone and is texting "im coming" haha which i must admit the text message threats are pretty pathetic but still i hate drama on all fronts and strive to avoid it.

You might not want to post stuff like this on an open internet forum lest it be taken as a threat in the opposite direction!!

Think it and know it all you want, but be cautious of what you post and/or say so you don't end up on the wrong side of the DA, besides we always shoot to "stop the threat". Whether the perp lives or dies is not our concern.

Good luck with this Dooshbag, I hope it ends up being a non issue for you.

resident-shooter
01-04-2011, 8:33 PM
Trapshot has it right. This does not rise to the level of 422 PC....Yet. 653m covers voice and data.

Don't waste your time (or theirs) calling another agency. Instead, call that officer's watch commander. Based on what the OP stated, the officer clearly "kissed off" his/her duties. The watch commander will get it handled.

Restraining orders can backfire and result in a dual RO situation and result in a loss of gun rights until it can be resolved.

Always pissed me off when guys would kiss off a very simple report. I've seen guys spend more time kissing off a report than it would have taken them to write. Especially when I have to clean up their mess.

Regards,

Ron

This is another good advice. "Bottom" ranks officers do not always feel like doing their job, that is why there are supervisors/superior officers. I once had a situation when a police report was halfassed and missed some info. I had all the needed proof, but the officer simply refused to even take a look at it. No problem. Called his captain, and in 2 days things were set straight. Just don't expect that the world to flow around u. You have to work ur way through it sometimes ;)

Window_Seat
01-04-2011, 8:38 PM
You might not want to post stuff like this on an open internet forum lest it be taken as a threat in the opposite direction!!

Think it and know it all you want, but be cautious of what you post and/or say so you don't end up on the wrong side of the DA, besides we always shoot to "stop the threat". Whether the perp lives or dies is not our concern.

Good luck with this Dooshbag, I hope it ends up being a non issue for you.

And as an added, if something does happen, the counsel for the "other side" (whether criminal or civil) will be in as many places as possible looking for anything to use against you. This is why I would strongly advise deleting that part of your post.

Mine above (in regards to the San Joaquin CCW initiative) is to inform you that you have access to being able to obtain a CCW.

Erik.

SVT-40
01-04-2011, 8:59 PM
As Ron-Solo said it's a straight up 653 (m) PC. No terrorist threat or stalking. It's wrong the original officer didn't at least take a report. Talking with the watch commander should solve the report issue.
Be sure to have the dates and times of each call as well as a written statement as to what was said. Same for the texts.

After you get your report continue with the logging of the calls. There is no need to recall the PD each time he calls. Wait unitl a week or so has gone by and then report any additional calls or texts.

On the bad side DA's really don't like to file charges related to these type of issues. It's sad, but they really don;t seem interested in these "quality of life" type cases.
If you get any more calls form the guy just hang up. Talking with him will only make matters worse (you can't reason with an unreasonable person). You should also have the ability to block the numbers he may be calling from. Call your phone provider and ask what is involved.

If the guy comes by your house DON'T confront him. Call the cops and let them be the hammer. Limit any or all contact you could have with him.

Of course if push comes to shove defend yourself, but let him be the one who is the aggressor, and above all use your head.

diginit
01-04-2011, 9:14 PM
Record his calls and keep the number he is calling from... There will be a record at your phone carrier. But it may take a warrant to access it. Threating someone with bodily harm IS illegal in Ca. Report the officer that refused to take your report to his superior immediately. This is BS. But police have NO responsibility to protect the public. We have to police ourselves.

tyrist
01-04-2011, 9:15 PM
The Officer should have taken a report for annoying/harassing phone calls. Make sure to keep the text messages he is sending you and if possible record the calls themselves.

Dr.Lou
01-04-2011, 9:33 PM
653M...

socal2310
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Soldiers talk about killing their opponents. Civilians (sensu stricto - includes cops) shoot TO STOP THE THREAT. Yes we are speaking of deadly force and it is possible, even probable, that the result of our actions will be the death of our assailant, but we are not out to kill. We are trying to stop them from harming us or other innocent parties.

Ryan

Paul S
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
long story short i helped a female friend move over the weekend out of an apartment and a failing relationship. her ex is now under the impression that she was having an affair with me and has been calling and texting threatening messages to my phone. including that he is going to come to my house etc. i called to make a report in case things get ugly or violent if/when he shows up and the officer assigned told me that harassing phone calls and text are not illegal and they cant do anything about it. :rolleyes:

Officer blew you off. I suggest you look up penal code sections 653m and 422

Save the texts of the threatening text messages and record the threatening phone calls. They will be useful in proving the allegations you want to make against this guy. Keep your options open and your powder dry.

BKinzey
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
If the guy is calling or texting you with harassing phone calls that is illegal. Call your phone company and make out a report. IIRC you log 3 calls and the phone company (and FCC?) has a case.

Munk
01-05-2011, 2:45 AM
Aside from the dutiful logging, and weekly updates to the PD... dont engage him in the conversation.

When you hear that it is him, just call him a twit and hang up.

If he's blocking his caller ID, and you just want to never pick up from him, there's a few free services to unblock caller ID and spoofed callerIDs. Just set your phone to forward through to them on ignore, then it sends the call back with the correct callerID. I've yet to use it, but the concept is awesome.

rod
01-05-2011, 5:47 AM
If there was more to the threat than a butt-hurt ex boyfriend running off with his mouth, then yes, you should expect some action taken. Without the intent or means to carry out the threat, it's just a matter of the ex making a lot of noise, and there's not much a LEO can do. Saying stupid things should be illegal, but it's not. I can say "I'm going to kill someone", but unless I have a means to kill someone and some sort of plan to do so, I'm just another loud mouth that needs to get a life. To the OP, I understand your position and frustration. If it comes to defending yourself, you can be sure that your call to the police will come to light even if there was no report taken.

BSlacker
01-05-2011, 5:51 AM
A couple of tips from someone who has been there and done that.

1. Police reports are about crimes committed. What you did was generate a "call for service". The responding Officer didn't know for sure a crime had been committed so no "Police report". So for the responding Officer no crime was committed. So what to do?
Go down to the PD where the Officer came from and ask for a copy of the disposition of the call my bet is this will get the Watch Commander out of their office and in front of you quick. The Officer had to provide a "dispo" or the dispatcher has the call for service still hung up on the screen. Get a copy of this dispo. It will record your concern just like a PR.

2. You don't know squat about your adversary. Get his full name or names and date of birth and run a public records on him. Don't take her word that he was an angel. Where I live we had a punk running amuck in the HOA and we had numerous calls for service but nothing was done. I ran a public records on him and found out his license was suspended and he was on probation for PC459. Next time we had a problem my neighbor ask the responding Officer to contact this punks PO. Neighbor got a call from the PO, he told his story and that was the last we saw of the punk. Get info on the dummy who knows what leverage it holds.

3. Remember the shiny object theory. Right now you are the shiny object. You will tarnish soon. These people have little attention spans. It soon will pass. You can help it along by not giving him anything to see or play with. :)

When people threaten from afar they are passive aggressive. Look it up on the internet and you will find some mind bombs to lay on him. To threaten someone you have to be in the same room or it is BS. :)

Timbob55
01-05-2011, 6:05 AM
From back in my dispatcher days, I think it is a 415(t) pc. Check with another officer/deputy.

cmichini
01-05-2011, 7:14 AM
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Soldiers talk about killing their opponents. Civilians (sensu stricto - includes cops) shoot TO STOP THE THREAT. Yes we are speaking of deadly force and it is possible, even probable, that the result of our actions will be the death of our assailant, but we are not out to kill. We are trying to stop them from harming us or other innocent parties.

Ryan

I was going to post this point exactly. You do NOT shoot to kill. In a self defense situation you act to STOP THE THREAT. If using deadly force it may take a lethal dose of whatever to stop the threat, but STOPPING THE THREAT is your goal. If you're asserting that you are going to shooting to kill, it can easily be deemed criminal activity.

Sutcliffe
01-05-2011, 7:26 AM
bummer

Castle Rock v. Gonzales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales)

buy a gun??

Anytime someone tells me that the police are there to protect me I tell them to google that case or even send them a link.
Disgusting!

Sgt Raven
01-07-2011, 8:54 AM
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Ryan

Yep and both us and LEOs can't keep pouring rounds into someone once they are no longer a threat and if you do then you can be charged too.

Billy Jack
01-07-2011, 9:45 AM

Lots of scary information being posted here. My firm handles stalker interdiction and related matters. Retain a local attorney and have them accompany you to the PD. They will take your report.

Do not seek a TRO until you talk with an attorney. Authoritative studies have shown TRO's tend to escalate rather than deescalate situations.

A little advice for the future. Be careful who you move in the future. It cost a man his arm from a shotgun blast from the estranged boyfriend on a call I once handled. He was also mistaken for the new 'boyfriend'. Good intentions can get you killed or maimed.

Be careful in the future.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

choprzrul
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Thank you Billy Jack.

A very thought based and informative post done in plain English. I applaud you.

Lots of scary information being posted here. My firm handles stalker interdiction and related matters. Retain a local attorney and have them accompany you to the PD. They will take your report.

Do not seek a TRO until you talk with an attorney. Authoritative studies have shown TRO's tend to escalate rather than deescalate situations.

A little advice for the future. Be careful who you move in the future. It cost a man his arm from a shotgun blast from the estranged boyfriend on a call I once handled. He was also mistaken for the new 'boyfriend'. Good intentions can get you killed or maimed.

Be careful in the future.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

ocspeedracer
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I think the particular officer you talked to just doesn't want to go through the hassle of a report. Talk to the watch commander or demand that someone come and take your report.

Flopper
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
This is one of many reasons I refuse to have platonic relationships with women.

Jake71
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I say ignore the idiot. I have been in a similar situation. He texts because he is too scared to threaten u while looking u in the eyes. He is a cowardly child inside. Or text him a pic of a gun LOL

I agree.

I was seeing this woman who's ex-bf somehow got my work number after he took her cellphone (when he stopped by to pickup their son for visitation).

I told him to bring his narrow punk azz to the bridge outside my office (in century city) and Id put my foot up his azz if he'd like. I even offered to lube it for him. Told im I'd be outside in 10 minutes.

He never showed and he stopped calling.

gatdammit
01-07-2011, 6:23 PM
LEO won't help? Threatening text and phone calls? Good cause for CCW?

SScott
01-07-2011, 6:48 PM
Have sex with the friend.
If you're going to be accused and hassled because of it you might as well hit it.

TRICKSTER
01-07-2011, 7:47 PM
Block his number.

DPC
01-08-2011, 1:39 PM
Just tell him "Come On Down Punk"

n6vmo
01-08-2011, 3:06 PM
Have sex with the friend.
If you're going to be accused and hassled because of it you might as well hit it.

:shock:

B Strong
01-08-2011, 3:18 PM

Regards,

Ron

Correct - the first officer couldn't be bothered/didn't think it was serious, and didn't want to write a report.

Sad to say that certain officers just seem to pull this when they think a complaint isn't important enough to warrant their attention.

Lrchops
01-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Go to the DA's office and obtain a restraining order. More than likely if you ignor the guy, he will eventually go away. Some dudes don't get it. When the chick breaks up its over. he should be thankful and fly free!!!

And if he comes to your house and makes it inside and has what you percieve to be a weapon and he threatens your life, shoot and kill the SOB!

bubbapug1
01-09-2011, 7:46 PM
I think your plan of documenting the calls and text messages are correct. I also think the guy could snap. The drive to procreate is pretty strong, and men are very territorial when it comes to women, even if they are told to hit the door. In time he may cool off, or he may not. I would get a CCW if possible, or at least keepa magazine and a unlocked gun nearby me for six months. Usually the girlfreind gets the brunt of the heat and the homicidal rage, but there are love triangle killings on a weekly basis in the USA and elsewhere.

Don't just sit there frozen like a deer in the headlights, things could go terribly wrong...

OHW
01-09-2011, 8:09 PM
Call another agency such as the sheriffs and explain to them your dilemma. Someone is threatening you over the phone and local LEA refuses to even take a report.

Happens everyday. Good luck getting anywhere with it. Please call another dept. and report the first disreguard to your safty. Also get the name and badge mumber of every officer you talk to. Even mail a writen copy of your incidents and officers talked to, to yourself in case something happens to you.

CABilly
01-09-2011, 10:41 PM
It must be a Central Valley thing. I haven't had to deal with any of this sort of nonsense since I left the Modesto area about 5 years ago. Before, this sort of thing was quite common.

Just ignore it, laugh it off when he calls and make fun of him. He'll get the point that he's being a bish soon enough.