PDA

View Full Version : NRA: New bill SB 1578 ANTI-HUNTING

mikehaas
08-04-2006, 5:49 PM
Issue: ANTI-HUNTING (Lowenthal)

Description: Existing law contains various provisions relating to the health, safety, and humane treatment of animals, such as birds, horses and other equines, and animals performing in traveling circuses and carnivals.

This bill, with specified exceptions, would prohibit a person from tethering, fastening, chaining, tying, or restraining a dog to a dog house, tree, fence, or other stationary object.

Latest Info: 08/04/2006 - SB 1578 makes it a crime to restrain a dog for more than 3 hours "or a time that is otherwise approved by animal control". The requirement would apply even when an AKC-approved kennel is employed. The bill does not exempt hunting or other scenarios covered by existing Fish and Game regulations. NRA and The Houndsmen (http://rshunt.com/) strongly oppose SB 1578.

Action needed: Send a ONE-CLICK Email (http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo) to the SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE against SB 1578

For the latest changes, see:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb1578&year=2006

Paladin
08-04-2006, 7:59 PM
One-Click sent. Thanks for your persistence in the fight, Mike.

mikehaas
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
One-Click sent. Thanks for your persistence in the fight, Mike.
You're welcome and thanks for what you all do.

But I've got to say something... the ONLY reason I can do what I do is because of 2 guys - Ed Worley (your ILA state lobbyist) and Paul Payne (administrator of your NRA Members' Council network and Liaison to NRA's Executive Vice President).

These guys have uncommon faith in volunteers and aren't afraid to fully engage with hordes of loyal NRA members and I'm damned proud to be one of them. Haven't you ever wondered why no other state has ANYTHING like Members' Councils? These guys are a large part of "why". Oh, and Wayne LaPierre - I can personally attest to how that man supports the California Members' Councils and truly enjoys the company of volunteers. (At the annual meetings, Wayne always tries to steal away to have dinner or lunch with us. One time he stiffed Congressman Barr for us! Don't tell Congressman Barr, ok? :-)

These 3 men are why I can do what I do. It's not shtick - we all really are NRA (you too, if you want to be).

Mike

bbq_ribs
08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok, I'm kind of confused about this one. I don't see anything in here about kennels. In fact, it seems that having the dog tied up in the back of a truck or Jeep is still allowed.

The text of the bill (http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_1551-1600/sb_1578_cfa_20060403_154113_sen_comm.html).

"4) Provides that any person transporting an animal in the
back of a vehicle must ensure that the animal is
contained or cross tethered in a way that ensures the
animal will not fall, jump, or be thrown from the
vehicle. A violation of the aforementioned is an
infraction."

I thought that was in the vehicle code already.

And it seems to be a bill trying to prevent people from leaving their dogs chained up as a primary method of restraint. IE: gang banger with the obligatory pit bull chained up in his yard.

chris
08-04-2006, 11:03 PM
again another bill that must be defeated. but i think the officer would be able to determin if the restraint is warrented or for intimedation purposes. while hunting it is good to have the dog on a leash so they don't run off and do something stupid or get run over by a careless driver. i use a kenel for my dog when going duck hunting and would rather have her in there than in the truck. in case of an accident she will more than likely be shaken up than killed or hurt badly.

again a bad bill in the making and election year grandstanding.

Hunter
08-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Ok, I'm kind of confused about this one. I don't see anything in here about kennels.........

As typical with laws, it is all in how it is worded. Here is the proposed wording to the existing law:

122335. (a) For purposes of this chapter, the following terms
shall have the following definitions:
(1) "Animal control" means the municipal or county animal control
agency or any other entity responsible for enforcing
animal-related laws.
(2) "Person" means any individual, partnership, corporation,
organization, trade or professional association, firm, limited
liability company, joint venture, association, trust, estate, or any
other legal entity, and any officer, member, shareholder, director,
employee, agent, or representative thereof.
(3) "Reasonable period" means a period of time not to exceed three
hours in a 24-hour period, or a time that is otherwise approved by
animal control.
(b) No person shall tether, fasten, chain, tie, or restrain a dog,
or cause a dog to be tethered, fastened, chained, tied, or
restrained, to a dog house, tree, fence, or any other stationary
object.

Kennels are covered under the part about "restraining" and take special note of the time limit. 3hrs in a 24 hr period! Try getting out of the bay area on a friday night to the central valley. I know from SJ it takes me a good 3+ hrs to get past vacaville sometimes. Heck if one drives from SJ to Sacramento without traffic it will take 2 hours. Go up one evening and return the next day and the dog will have been in the kennel for 4 hours in a 24 hr period. See the problem.....

This bill needs a lot of rework.

chris
08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
yep it takes me 3+ hours to get out of orange and LA county depending on where i go. this bill needs alot of work. of course the dog wants out. they wanna play and say hi to everyone. this pertains to those who have labradors.

Hunter
08-04-2006, 11:18 PM
If you have ever had a chance to see houndsmen work their dogs, there is no way one cannot tether them. They know when the leash comes off, it is time to RUN and run they do. Most dogs will be in the dog box or on a tether for more than 50% of a normal hunting day.

mikehaas
08-05-2006, 10:18 AM
If you have ever had a chance to see houndsmen work their dogs, there is no way one cannot tether them. They know when the leash comes off, it is time to RUN and run they do. Most dogs will be in the dog box or on a tether for more than 50% of a normal hunting day.
As husband of an exceptional dog show person and breeder...
http://patriotboxers.com/gfx/masonsw2.jpg
Ch. Patriot's Freedom's Cornerstone (Mason)
http://patriotboxers.com/
...I'd like to also point out that dogs enjoy being in a kennel. They pack in dens - it's security. Our kennels have water dispensers and are normally kept in an air-conditioned van or RV.

The wife's coment - "This is PETA's work."

Four hours (not 3) is a reasonable limit for a healthy dog, but we don't need new legislation that convicts people of crimes. This simply hassles people - including hunters - in a major way. Enforcement of such a law would be impossible, selective at best. Do these people know how many people leave dogs tied in a backyard (with water) while they are at work? (No, don't condone that, but many do.)

BTW, blessed event at my place Monday night...
http://patriotboxers.com/gfx/akka060804-320.jpg
Guys, show your wives/girlfriends and get ready for the inevitable "Awwwwww..." :-) For those so equipped, it's not recommended you show both at the same time.

Mike