PDA

View Full Version : NRA: SB 357 (Ammo Serialization) Defeated

mikehaas
08-04-2006, 5:24 PM
08/04/2006 - SB 357, AMMO SERIALIZATION AND TAX, is to be GUTTED AND AMENDED such that it no longer involves firearms or ammo in any way. This represents a tremendous victory for gun-owners - THANK YOU for your support in defeating SB 357.

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb357&year=2006

Mike

6172crew
08-04-2006, 7:02 PM
Good deal! That law would have really been depressing to us.

Dont Tread on Me
08-04-2006, 7:42 PM
Mike - good news. How much do you think the letter writing/e-mailing played a part in this?

Centurion_D
08-04-2006, 7:45 PM
Yeehaww...what a wonderful day..and it's friday. Good to go :D

chris
08-04-2006, 9:39 PM
outfricking standing work guys. now we have a BIGGER fight on our hands with the new proposal. we need to pull out all the stops on this new regulation.

mikehaas
08-04-2006, 9:58 PM
Mike - good news. How much do you think the letter writing/e-mailing played a part in this?
A lot, especially last year. This was one of the enemy's big pushes in 2005. And NRA has been doing a great job getting law enforcement to take sensible positions on this junk. Not a single law enforcement association in California supported SB 357.

BUT... now we must turn our attention to AB 352...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab352.1&year=2006

This got further last year than SB 357, but it stalled too. The author just recently took it off the inactive file. Let's have it join it's deceased sibling here. AB 352 has gotten even less LEO support than SB 357 - the Police Officers Research Association of California (PORAC) has publicly opposed AB 352.

Mike

bbq_ribs
08-04-2006, 10:17 PM
How long before that turkey re-introduces the bill? Is there any way to prevent him from trying to bring it up *again* ??

bwiese
08-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Now THAT'S a victory - or a least a non-regression.

SB357 was the scariest bill ever. While AB352 (safeties) is horrid, 357 woulda killed shooting sports in CA.

SB357 may have been a stalking horse for AB352, however: not sure. But we of course now need to focus our attentions on AB352.

Inoxmark
08-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Great news! However this "gut and amend" business is total BS. Watch out for some other bill to undergo "gut and amend" to morph into SB357. A couple of years ago while we celebrated defeat of some anti-gun bill ( I believe it was the infamous chamber loaded indicator/ mag disconnect bill), it quietly re-surfaced using "gut and amend" under a different bill number and was quickly voted by the assembly all the way through.

m1371
08-05-2006, 12:49 AM
How long before that turkey re-introduces the bill? Is there any way to prevent him from trying to bring it up *again* ??

Concur fully!

Someone should introduce a bill to boot Koretz and anyone else associated with this crap.

chunger
08-05-2006, 1:13 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated, Mike,

I wrote a ton of letters on this one and 352 as well thanks to your updates and Calguns. Let's not go to sleep. . . I'm sure there's lots of bad bills coming our way.

mikehaas
08-05-2006, 8:21 AM
Great news! However this "gut and amend" business is total BS. Watch out for some other bill to undergo "gut and amend" to morph into SB357. A couple of years ago while we celebrated defeat of some anti-gun bill ( I believe it was the infamous chamber loaded indicator/ mag disconnect bill), it quietly re-surfaced using "gut and amend" under a different bill number and was quickly voted by the assembly all the way through.
Very good points. And you're right - that did happen. But in that case, NRA expected the bill to resurface and never relieved the pressure. But the gut & amend changed the bill number, and that was all the breathing room some reps needed to change their vote to a YES. "No, I didn't vote for XXX, I voted for YYY, a different bill..." Remember, they have NO SHAME up there in those hallowed halls.

This is why our support of NRA is so important. They know of these and the other tricks that can be pulled. They also know the "inside story" - whether to believe SB 357 will surface again or not. And in this case, not.

Remember, they aren't relying on public forums for information. They are inside and often DETERMINE the news that is made (and most often when we help them as requested.)

And one thing about the California staff... they are VERY careful to be accurate ESPECIALLY about claiming victory. the last thing they want to do is call you off a bill that even has a remote possibility of surprising us. Checked and double-checked before I get to put it out.

But if this garbage does pop up again, they'll tell us ASAP and we'll work together to beat it down again. After all, we have enough hammers, we just have to all aim at the right spot together.

Great working with you guys and gals!

Mike

DrjonesUSA
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
357 defeated???????????

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rkt88edmo
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
A big thumbs up to everyone who wrote and made a call!

anotherone
08-07-2006, 1:32 PM
Concur fully!

Someone should introduce a bill to boot Koretz and anyone else associated with this crap.

Koretz is termed out in the Assembly. Unless he's going to move on to the state Senate we've seen the last of him in the legislature.