View Full Version : School me on the history of CA Gun Rights action

01-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Hey all,

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm a recent transplant to CA from AZ and I'm still trying to acclimate to all of the crazy. Calguns has been an awesome resource for me and it's given me hope that I might one day regain the civil rights that I had to leave at the state line.

I've had no trouble finding info on the decades-long history of unconstitutional firearms legislation in CA and and how it came to pass, but I'm having a harder time finding any comprehensive history on the fight against it. The CGF is doing an awesome job today fronting that battle in the court system and I've done my best to understand the implications of Nordyke, Peruta, etc.

I really am amazed at how hard CGF is fighting. Has there always been this much action or is it much more intense post Heller/McDonald? Was there massive opposition to the original bans on things such as LOC and "assault weapons"?

01-04-2011, 5:06 PM
From what I can tell, there wasn't much opposition. Clearly it didn't work.

01-04-2011, 5:13 PM
Heller/McDonald are key events, because prior court challenges to CA laws were almost all thrown out on standing issues - basically, 2A does not restrict the states, and even if it did, you (the plaintiffs) are not a state defending your militia.

Key paragraph from Fresno Rifle: In this view we join the Seventh Circuit, which considered arguments similar to 731*731 those plaintiffs make in this case, and held that Cruikshank and Presser are still controlling. See Quilici v. Village of Morton Grove, 695 F.2d 261, 269-70 (7th Cir.1982) (upholding local ordinance prohibiting possession of handguns in village; Presser is still "good law," especially in light of Supreme Court's rejection of theory "that the entire Bill of Rights applies to the states through the fourteenth amendment"), cert. denied, 464 U.S. 863, 104 S.Ct. 194, 78 L.Ed.2d 170 (1983). Until such time as Cruikshank and Presser are overturned, the Second Amendment limits only federal action, and we affirm the district court's decision "that the Second Amendment stays the hand of the National Government only." Fresno Rifle, 746 F.Supp. at 1419.[9]

Prior to Governor Davis, we could at least occasionally get a Governor who would veto a bad bill; since then, not so much.

01-04-2011, 5:18 PM
Those judges really had to be bloodsucking sociopaths to be so eager to use rulings that effectively legalized lynching and armed bullying of employees, and it's real sickening that they were never held accountable as such.

01-04-2011, 5:34 PM
How did it happen? Very few people had the b#lls to oppose our government. This is changing. But Obama had nothing to do with it! People are finally getting tired of laws that do nothing but support some politician's agenda. Glad you can join us here in Kaliforistan.

01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
There has been a recent change in lawyers, guns, and money in the opposition...