PDA

View Full Version : Finders Keepers???

VeryCoolCat
08-04-2006, 3:45 PM
If you find a handgun or rifle and you turn it into the police who do the check to see who it belonged to and if it was used in any crimes.

Well what if nobody claims it and its just an unregistered handgun/rifle that someone brought into the state and decided to ditch. What happens to it? Would it be like if you found money and decided to turn it in and if nobody claims it then which you could keep it?

Like say you were working in your backyard digging a hole and you find a small crate and it has some old ithica shotgun in good condition. You of course turn it into the police, but would you be able to keep it if nobody claims it? :D

Maybe the previous owner of the house burried some of his old ww2 garands (One can dream can't he? :D) to prevent his children from getting it and forgot about it after he had passed and you stumbled upon it

C.G.
08-04-2006, 3:46 PM
If you find a handgun or rifle and you turn it into the police who do the check to see who it belonged to and if it was used in any crimes.

Well what if nobody claims it and its just an unregistered handgun/rifle that someone brought into the state and decided to ditch. What happens to it? Would it be like if you found money and decided to turn it in and if nobody claims it then which you could keep it?

Like say you were working in your backyard digging a hole and you find a small crate and it has some old ithica shotgun in good condition. You of course turn it into the police, but would you be able to keep it if nobody claims it? :D

Maybe the previous owner of the house burried some of his old ww2 garands (One can dream can't he? :D) to prevent his children from getting it and forgot about it after he had passed and you stumbled upon it

I am pretty sure they destroy them.

JPglee1
08-04-2006, 4:01 PM

I think in such a hypothetical situation, that a hypothetical discoverer should prolly just leave well enough alone, rebury it, and forget about it lol

J

ArmedBear
08-04-2006, 4:09 PM
Funny.

I've left targets behind, maybe a little ammo, while carrying my crap back to the Jeep.

But I've never just forgotten a pistol and magazines at the range.:p

Knock on wood.

JPglee1
08-04-2006, 4:14 PM
If I ever forget my gun at the range I hope someone DOES keep it, cuz I deserve to lose it for being that much of a moron :D

J

Silverback
08-04-2006, 4:48 PM
Yep - In my mind its finder keepers! What's the police got to do with anything? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JPglee1
08-04-2006, 4:53 PM
Yep - In my mind its finder keepers! What's the police got to do with anything? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*calls PD on pay phone, checks SN... not stolen...mine*

LOL

J

CALI-gula
08-04-2006, 5:34 PM
California DOJ and all law enforcement entities in California have procedures for the finder to take possession of a gun that goes unclaimed - they are only destroyed if they go unclaimed, but YOU have to follow up on it and fill out the proper forms. The forms do exist, and so long as you keep checking up on it, you will get it just like any other found items that go unclaimed, so long as you are legal to own it.

If you pursue it, you'll find the forms and links online - maybe on the DOJ website, maybe on your respective city's website, but they do exist. I remember looking at the forms at one time, I think either on the DOJ or LAPD wesbite, not sure, but found it interesting.

A friend of mine found a Glock 22 in Hollywood years ago, like new, in its case, outside a Pepboys, with some clothing and other junk. It looked like someone may have been packing or unpacking their trunk or RV and left it behind. He turned it in with all of the other stuff, and some time later, the Glock was his. Nobody claimed it, nobody showed up. (This was about 5 years ago).

donger
08-04-2006, 6:42 PM
A friend of mine found a Glock 22 in Hollywood years ago, like new, in its case, outside a Pepboys, with some clothing and other junk. It looked like someone may have been packing or unpacking their trunk or RV and left it behind. He turned it in with all of the other stuff, and some time later, the Glock was his. Nobody claimed it, nobody showed up. (This was about 5 years ago).

Hmmm...was that the Pep-Boys on Hollywood and Gower? Not that far from home, maybe I'll start hanging out in the parking lot.

m1371
08-05-2006, 1:00 AM
California DOJ and all law enforcement entities in California have procedures for the finder to take possession of a gun that goes unclaimed - they are only destroyed if they go unclaimed, but YOU have to follow up on it and fill out the proper forms. The forms do exist, and so long as you keep checking up on it, you will get it just like any other found items that go unclaimed, so long as you are legal to own it.

If you pursue it, you'll find the forms and links online - maybe on the DOJ website, maybe on your respective city's website, but they do exist. I remember looking at the forms at one time, I think either on the DOJ or LAPD wesbite, not sure, but found it interesting.

Curious on this.

Say someone turned in a "found" handgun.

Would it have to be on the DOJ approved list in order to be claimed by the finder?

Would the PD transfer it to a FFL for the DROS?

Or could it be legally transferred by the PD to the finder who is claiming it?

Would it be a PTP transfer?

I'm just wondering how this would all work. Seems like it could get complicated and confusing pretty fast.

kantstudien
08-05-2006, 2:27 AM
If it wasn't stolen, you would probably be required to send in a self-registration form to DOJ.

WallySparx
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
what about finding a hicap mag? if you found it, you didn't illegally import or purchase it.

VeryCoolCat
08-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Okay how did my thread turn into a finders keepers into a "ways to get around the law"

You shouldn't even talk about that since the DOJ does read this website.

Paul1960
08-05-2006, 1:31 PM
what about finding a hicap mag? if you found it, you didn't illegally import or purchase it.

Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices).

Nothing there about found ... (this is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer, I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night).

NRAhighpowershooter
08-05-2006, 2:04 PM
Last summer after a HP match at Chabot 3 AR"s were left behind!!!! They were quickly claimed.. but I now have a policy that every shooter has 1 free leave behind.. then after that, the 2nd leave behind is mine :D .. It seems like every match I'm having to take someones equipment home and save it for them..........