PDA

View Full Version : Need to get rid of OLL/ Off list AR

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Does any body no a place in San Diego Ca that will buy/trade in a OLL or Off List AR? I've been calling around google'ing places. It's a little hard trying to sell this. Any advise?

grammaton76
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't know of any "stores" that'll do it, but you could post your price and such to the Yahoo group that some Calgunners are running. We can't have "for-sale" ads on Calguns though.

bwiese
08-04-2006, 1:03 PM
Does any body no a place in San Diego Ca that will buy/trade in a OLL or Off List AR? I've been calling around google'ing places. It's a little hard trying to sell this. Any advise?

Geez, why are you selling?

Lotsa folks sweat blood to get this thing going.

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 1:09 PM
Well I really don't want to get rid of it, but I may be deploying soon and if I miss the reg period I'm screwed.

saki302
08-04-2006, 1:19 PM
Assuming there ever IS a reg period.

I'd leave it with a freind while you're gone. IF there is in face a reg period, your friend can pre-sell it on the yqahoo calgunsale group.

If anything, values will go UP if there is going to be a reg period.

-Dave

thmpr
08-04-2006, 1:32 PM
Am I missing something here? Reg. Period. It will take some time until this is all sorted out.

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 1:33 PM
Knowing my friends they might spend the money if they do sell it while I'm gone. It sucks but it's the truth, If the reg period comes in a month then I'll keep it. What are the rules for selling a OLL? The person I sell it to can't be a Cali resident? I tried asking around if I can bring my own AR to the dessert but we got to use our issued M16A2's. Thanks for you help!

megavolt121
08-04-2006, 1:43 PM
Why not just keep it. If a reg period opens up, just register the damn thing. Its just a signature and thumbprint. You can have the reg cards mailed to you and mail them back. You'll have 90 days anyways.

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 1:53 PM
Well the place I will be going will take a while to get mail, I've gotten mail 6 months into the deployment dated a week after I left. Right now I want to be on the safe side, please respect that. I am not trying to start a fire here, just asking for some help.

TheMan
08-04-2006, 1:57 PM
Knowing my friends they might spend the money if they do sell it while I'm gone. It sucks but it's the truth, If the reg period comes in a month then I'll keep it. What are the rules for selling a OLL? The person I sell it to can't be a Cali resident? I tried asking around if I can bring my own AR to the dessert but we got to use our issued M16A2's. Thanks for you help!

The rules for selling a rifle newer than 50 years old in CA are that you must go through an FFL to get a PPT transfer done. Or if you are shipping, you must send it to an FFL, either in state, or out of state.

There are no rules for "OLL" in CA, because they are simply rifles.

Why sell it? There is all likelihood that there will be no registration period. If there is, it may not happen until you get back.

And even on the odd chance that it does get listed, the registration period opens and closes before you get back, then there is the possibility that you could still register it as an AW since you are military. You might even be able to do that now, since there are special Military AW Permits that you can get in CA.....

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 2:02 PM
The Man,
Thank you for the information, I will call the DOJ to see if I can reg it. I really appreciate it.

TheMan
08-04-2006, 2:13 PM
The Man,
Thank you for the information, I will call the DOJ to see if I can reg it. I really appreciate it.

Instead of calling the DOJ first, you should look for sources with ACCURATE info. The DOJ will tell you something incorrect, especially if you call them without knowing what you are taking about

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=212690

Look for the post labeled

"Obtaining an Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military Personnel. "

Read it, and THEN contact the DOJ if you have questions about doing this with a rifle that is currently not an AW. To be honest, I am not familiar enough with the MAWP to know if they will do it with an OLL, but it couldn't hurt to look into it.

Good Luck!

thmpr
08-04-2006, 2:17 PM
Call the DOJ to register it? It is not considered an AW, just a long gun (Rifle). Keep it or sale it. Recommend to keep it. Please read the Assault weapon Faq above written by Bill Weise.

xLusi0n
08-04-2006, 6:08 PM
Military AW Permit - highly unlikely you'll get it (tried already)

IF there is a reg period and you miss it because you're deployed - you're SOL (think .50 BMG).

Where are you going? I've been all over Iraq and it generally takes 1-3 weeks for mail depending on where you are - 6 months probably means they lost it.

I think it would be quite feasible to get a copy of the reg form (if that even happens) whether through mail or PDF dload online, fill it out, have your S2 (intel) shop fingerprint you, and send back the form within 90 days.

If you keep your AW on a military base (Federal land) it does not conflcit with state laws (what DOJ told me - not sure of its accuracy). HOWEVER, what they couldn't explain is how I get it to and from the military base - hahaha.

Ki77B0die5
08-04-2006, 8:46 PM
Darn, thanks for telling me that you tried and how the outcome was. Where you stationed at bro?

DevLcL
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I am not trying to start a fire here, just asking for some help.

Forget the fire! Starting a thread about how to get rid of OLL's on here is like dropping a nuclear bomb. What?! Why?! When?! Where?? How much?! :p

-Dev

Gunsrruss
08-05-2006, 9:55 PM
These orders when you come back will let you register the Lower. It shows that you were out of the country during the registration period. You can more than likely write the DOJ while afloat when you hear theres a registration period. They can grant you an extention. It's like the extention you get when your out of the country during the tax dates.

Grakken
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Knowing my friends they might spend the money if they do sell it while I'm gone. It sucks but it's the truth

From a Former Grunt, Thanks for your service but if you cant trust your friends while you are gone in harms way, get new friends.

artherd
08-06-2006, 1:08 PM
DOJ lacks the authority to extend *most* (but potentially not all) registration windows. Namely they may not extend those that were codified in law, as opposed to created as an action of DOJ's delegated authority to create regulatory law.

Hire an attorney, and have him cordinate the registration on your behalf. Thumb print is difficult but not impossible to solve, you just have to go high enough to expidite.

Also DOJ and/or legislature may grant extended registration interval to those serving abroad, so keep your lower for now.

xLusi0n
08-06-2006, 7:06 PM
These orders when you come back will let you register the Lower. It shows that you were out of the country during the registration period. You can more than likely write the DOJ while afloat when you hear theres a registration period. They can grant you an extention. It's like the extention you get when your out of the country during the tax dates.

As I recall, during the .50 BMG registration, service men and women out of the country were SOL.

grammaton76
08-06-2006, 7:57 PM

I personally know a guy who attempted this back in 2000 - the DOJ basically laughed in his face and refused his registration.

He was a California native Marine with permanent residency in California. At the time, he was stationed in Japan, and the DOJ refused to allow him to register his rifles unless he was in the state at the time, PERIOD. They wouldn't even let him do it through family, although I don't know if he tried an attorney or not. He lost his rifles, and the DOJ was very happy about it.

So unless you have an actual case of you or someone you know having been allowed to register while out of state, you're just talking about how things ought to be - not how they are.

SemiAutoSam
08-06-2006, 8:39 PM
I personally know a guy who attempted this back in 2000 - the DOJ basically laughed in his face and refused his registration.

He was a California native Marine with permanent residency in California. At the time, he was stationed in Japan, and the DOJ refused to allow him to register his rifles unless he was in the state at the time, PERIOD. They wouldn't even let him do it through family, although I don't know if he tried an attorney or not. He lost his rifles, and the DOJ was very happy about it.

So unless you have an actual case of you or someone you know having been allowed to register while out of state, you're just talking about how things ought to be - not how they are.

The REG period is 90 days right?
The army still allows mail to the iraq threater of operations ciorrect ?

The soldiers family fedexes the forms and the soldier fills them out has them notarized by a clerical yeoman notary or an army noraty public that is if they exist.

he sends it in via the fedex office in baghdad and its all good ?

http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/content.cgi?template=ge_pr&content=about/pressreleases/emea/pr081103&cc=ge

HUTCH 7.62
08-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I don't think you'll see any decision about OLL's until late 2007 and maybe longer due to all the legal issues that need to be sort out. I would hold on to it.

Ki77B0die5
08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
From a Former Grunt, Thanks for your service but if you cant trust your friends while you are gone in harms way, get new friends.

I'm talking about my friends back at home not my fellow Marine, I don't want to burden any of my Marines to deal my personal problems. Semper!

2Trips
08-08-2006, 2:27 PM
I will buy it. PM sent.