PDA

View Full Version : The closest I'll ever come to owning a TVIK-85 Sniper Rifle

Noonanda
01-03-2011, 6:56 PM
My M-39 with PE Scope mount in M-28/76 Stock. This rifle is/was a total parts gun, it was a barrelled receiver and bolt when I bought it. Original plan was to restore it but the original stock cost more than the barrelled reciever. So an Idea was formed.

Bought a PE scope and mount from accumounts, and put them on her tonight. I'll give a range report in a few daws when I get a chance to shoot it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs002.snc6/165256_1746205862378_1455744538_1834465_7241071_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1355.snc4/162717_1746205982381_1455744538_1834467_4424754_n. jpg

rojocorsa
01-03-2011, 7:00 PM
I want to see how it will print on paper!

jaq
01-03-2011, 7:19 PM
Nice!

Datamancer
01-03-2011, 7:59 PM
That's cool. Where'd you get the stock?

-~D~-

Datamancer
01-03-2011, 7:59 PM

-~D~-

Pthfndr
01-03-2011, 8:12 PM
Well, you could have come just a little bit closer if you had started with one of these below. I wish I had known Dennis was going to get them or I would have waited on buying my 28/76 and bought one of these with a scope base. Just can't afford to buy 2 of them.

http://www.empirearms.com/2876-mount.jpg

Noonanda
01-03-2011, 8:14 PM

-~D~-

its the stock off one of my M-28/76's. there was no way I could modify one of them, so I used the M-39 Barrelled receiver in the stock. I wish I could find someone to reproduce this stock, they would easily sell for good money on ebay or gunbroker.

Noonanda
01-03-2011, 8:19 PM
Well, you could have come just a little bit closer if you had started with one of these below. I wish I had known Dennis was going to get them or I would have waited on buying my 28/76 and bought one of these with a scope base. Just can't afford to buy 2 of them.

http://www.empirearms.com/2876-mount.jpg

problem is the only scope mount I have seen for that scope base is like 400-500 dollars on ebay. I wish I could too.

Datamancer
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
its the stock off one of my M-28/76's. there was no way I could modify one of them, so I used the M-39 Barrelled receiver in the stock. I wish I could find someone to reproduce this stock, they would easily sell for good money on ebay or gunbroker.

I've actually considered it, once I finish building my copy carver and get it all figured out. Those, and some other designs I have in mind....we'll see though. That'll be down the road a bit. I have mags to build first!
:)

-~D~-

TRAP55
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
problem is the only scope mount I have seen for that scope base is like 400-500 dollars on ebay.
Noonanda, email Accumount, if there's a demand, he'll supply.
I'm getting up the nerve to do my first PE mount, and I'm sweating bullets. Any tips?

There's a guy on Surplus Rifle that's been doing some hard to find stocks on a limited basis, that one would be a good seller, I know I'd buy one. I know another guy on Mauser Central that has a stock copier too, I'll hit him up and see if he's interested.

Noonanda
01-04-2011, 3:27 PM
Noonanda, email Accumount, if there's a demand, he'll supply.
I'm getting up the nerve to do my first PE mount, and I'm sweating bullets. Any tips?

There's a guy on Surplus Rifle that's been doing some hard to find stocks on a limited basis, that one would be a good seller, I know I'd buy one. I know another guy on Mauser Central that has a stock copier too, I'll hit him up and see if he's interested.

the scope mount that Pthfndr is refering to is different from the PE. I will volunteer/temp loan the stock to get copied if I get a copy myself.

bbguns44
01-04-2011, 4:02 PM
Nice guns but a rather stiff premium for a fancy stock & sights. I bought a couple
of rough target stocks that I'm going to try fitting to my M39. Not sure about the
sights or scope mount but I figure I can practice drilling on a 91/30 first before I
attempt drilling my M39. I really like the Czech version, V59.

TRAP55
01-04-2011, 6:17 PM
the scope mount that Pthfndr is refering to is different from the PE. I will volunteer/temp loan the stock to get copied if I get a copy myself.
I know they are different, suggested Accumount for the one Pthfndr was talking about. I was referring to your PE mount. Did you install it? I'm going to do one on a Tula Hex parts gun, and I do not want to screw up that receiver!

Noonanda
01-04-2011, 6:36 PM
yes, it was kinda hard as the supplied screws seem to strip very easy. That and the face that you dont drill the holes very deep so tapping them is kind of a pain too. I ended up using superglue on 1 screw(same principle as locktight) then added it to the rest just to ensure they stay tight. Im hoping to get her out later this week, possibly thursday or friday.

To get accumounts to make the scope mount he would need a copy or orignial mount and base. the bases are soldered to the guns, and like I said I have only seen 1 mount and it was for like 4-500 on ebay LOL

Garp
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I thought I felt my ears burning.... Noonand and anyone else interested: I have made these stocks. I make gunstocks with a duplicator and borrowed this finn stock from a fellow on SRF and have made 2 already for my own personal use. (one for a PU sniper and one under an unfired Polish Mosin). I have toyed with the idea of making additional ones if there is enough interest. I do get requests for these from time to time so I will probably do so. So far I have a tri-color red white and blue lami, and one nutmeg lami cut for my mosins. I'm in the middle of bedding them so I'll post pics of them once they are done.

Here are some potential Issue I have already discovered:

All mosins are not created equal! I cut my first one to the exact shape of the original Finn target action and neither my Polish pr PU fits perfectly. I had my brother in law bring his Russian over, it didn't quite fit perfectly either. There are slight differences in all of their action, magazine, chamber area and barrel channels, each requiring a slightly different application of file and sandpaper to get it to sit right. I'm sure the hex receivers will require even something else in the hex area to be relieved too. While it's not a big deal to me, (I have sandpaper and files of course) I just made the slight corrections to each and they fit fine.

My concern with making one for a cash paying customer is the expectation that they it be perfectly in-letted for every possible mosin, which is of course impossible to guarantee. I don't want to be in a situation where someone has this expectation of a drop-in perfect fit, then charges back the payment on their card or gets on every possible forum and bad-mouths me over it if it isn't. I would have to say that they would be considered semi-inletted, and filing/sandpapering will be required to fit perfectly.

Trapp55 that was probably me on the SRF ;-)

G

Garp
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Nice guns but a rather stiff premium for a fancy stock & sights.

You forgot: great if not excellent bores and pulling 300M headshot groups all day.

Flyin Brian
01-07-2011, 3:56 PM
I have toyed with the idea of making additional ones if there is enough interest. I do get requests for these from time to time so I will probably do so.
G

count me in for at least one, probably more, and no they don't have to be inletted perfectly either :)

Howie44
01-07-2011, 5:16 PM
Count me in as well I have a perfect barrelled action for a candidate, and have my own tooling for finish inleting. Let me know Garp if you will do this again, I want one!

Noonanda
01-08-2011, 6:47 AM
gonna try to get out to shoot her today after work, got some surplus ammo (bulgarian/Hungarian i cant remember which) light ball, and also some red-dot "the load" loads. Also gonna resite in my PU sniper while Im out there as well. I'll post some results IIR

TRAP55
01-08-2011, 9:49 PM
Trapp55 that was probably me on the SRF ;-)
Garp, yes it was, good to see you here!
Any Idea on a price for one?

Garp
01-10-2011, 6:57 AM
Garp, yes it was, good to see you here!
Any Idea on a price for one?

Not yet, need to do a couple more that I have promised locally then I'll have a tight grasp of the time requirements for the future