View Full Version : CMP Purchased Garand, Ownership Transfer

01-03-2011, 3:16 PM
What is the official DOJ process of transferring ownership of a CMP purchased H&R Garand? Is there something I need to tell the CMP? I remember reading on one of the DCM paperwork 16 years ago when I purchased my Garand that I can not sell it and only limited to one rifle for life. Is that still true today?

Since it is over 50 years old are Garands considered C&R? Don’t want to break any laws. Appreciate any help.

01-03-2011, 3:25 PM
FTF is fine in Ca. I've seen plenty of CMP guns for sale and know that they allow multiple purchases to the same person.

01-03-2011, 3:57 PM
CMP ships right to your door. No DOJ, no DROS, no nanny-state fascist overlord approvals of any kind are required.

If you hold a C&R license you need to log it into your bound book.

If not, clean, lube hit the range. Watch out for Garand thumb.

Edit: Mis-read original post.
You are free to do whatever you like with your CMP rifle. They have you attest that you are purchasing for personal use and not for COMMERCIAL resale as they are interested in getting rifles into civilian hands for marksmanship training, not filling inventory for dealers.

You can sell your CMP rifle (all federal and local laws should be followed).

If someone notices you selling a large quantity of CMP rifles and they drop a dime on you to the CMP, they could use this to bar you from buying more from them in the future, but that's about it. I've never heard of anyone having issues with disposing of CMP rifles that are no longer wanted/needed.

01-03-2011, 4:01 PM
to the OP: the CMP is saying not for commercial resale is what the stratement means on the paperwork.. FTF private sales are ok.. treat it like a regular C&R FTF sale.. the CMP doesn't need to be notified of anything when you have to sell a CMP Garand.....

01-03-2011, 5:41 PM
So if I have to sell it no documentation is required? Wow our anti friends will have a heart attack if they ever find out. Man thanks.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2011, 8:03 PM
So if I have to sell it no documentation is required?

If you aren't transferring it through an FFL then you need to make sure that your buyer is also a California resident and at least 18 years of age.