PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a receiver?

gunsmithcats
01-03-2011, 1:45 PM
Gents,
I seek the mighty calguns expertise again.
If I was shipping a blank receiver out of state, do I still need to declare it a firearm at UPS/FEDEX? Obviously it'll be insured, but I want to comply with proper federal laws.

thanks!

BKinzey
01-03-2011, 2:50 PM
Define blank. Do you mean stripped? If you mean a stripped receiver with the federally mandated markings ( serial #, manufacturer, etc) on it then yes you need to declare it.

If you have a 80% receiver blank then no you don't.

gunsmithcats
01-03-2011, 2:54 PM
yea 100% complete receive.r Just not built.

Thanks!

CSACANNONEER
01-03-2011, 3:00 PM
A receiver is the part which is legally a "firearm". So, you should be able to figure it out. BTW, if it's a receiver for a longgun, anyone can ship it via USPS as well as UPS or Fed-Ex. If it's a handgun receiver, only FFLs can ship via USPS.

Define blank. Do you mean stripped? If you mean a stripped receiver with the federally mandated markings ( serial #, manufacturer, etc) on it then yes you need to declare it.

If you have a 80% receiver blank then no you don't.

The only time there needs to be marking on a 100% receiver is if it is built for sale or it is going to be transfered. There is NO mandate that ALL 100% receivers have any markings at all.

ke6guj
01-03-2011, 3:00 PM
if you are shipping that 100% to an FFL, there is no federal or state requirement that you declare it. but if you don't declare it and it gets lost, you might not get an insurance claim paid.

shock
01-03-2011, 5:10 PM
if i sell a long gun to another calgun member (i'm in socal, he's in norcal ) ....

does the ffl i ship it to have to charge tax on the long gun to the transferee?

i understand the cost of transfers vary quite a bit depending on the ffl and how usurious they feel

jtmkinsd
01-03-2011, 5:15 PM
if i sell a long gun to another calgun member (i'm in socal, he's in norcal ) ....

does the ffl i ship it to have to charge tax on the long gun to the transferee?

i understand the cost of transfers vary quite a bit depending on the ffl and how usurious they feel

Unless you are a retailer of firearms, no tax is to be collected. Shipping a legible copy of your ID along with the firearm is good enough to distinguish you from a retailer.

gunsmithcats
01-03-2011, 6:31 PM
If its going to an FFL, federally I don't have to declare it?
ARgh, im confused now.

ke6guj
01-03-2011, 7:04 PM
ARgh, im confused now.

correct, there is no federal or state requirement that you declare a firearms shipment that is going to an FFL, or is being shipped within the state to a non-licensee. The law requires you declare that you are shpping a firearm to a non-licensee in another state.

§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2011, 9:25 PM
ARgh, im confused now.

Like, ke6guj says, there is no law requiring you to declare it to the shipper since you are shipping to an FFL. But UPS, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground all have policies requiring you to declare firearms being shipped. You risk voiding any insurance claim with the shipper if an undeclared firearm gets lost or damaged.