PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA(Staying a Non CA resident) with a "Approved Handgun" and one that is not

codaxx
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Hello,
Thank you for this forum and the information on it. I have been reading but at this point I am just lost. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I live OC currently and am from Nevada. I am in OC for school and have not nor plan to change my residency to CA at this time. Lots of reasons. Not relevant. I return to NV regularly and the guns are stored in NV currently.

I own a Glock 17 (9mm) and a Magnum Research 1911. I have 10 round mags for the Glock and only plan to bring the 10 round mags into CA, while leaving the other Mags in NV, where the guns are now.

There are number of confusing rules I have found and I am not sure if I understand them correctly.
I can import a gun not on the approved gun list by owning it prior to moving to CA as a private importer? (Eq the 1911 which is owned by me and is registered in NV as NV requires them to be, not quite like CA)

I can have the guns in CA for 60 days before registering them or removing them from CA? (Am I required to hold the registration permit with the gun? How does this work if I dont have one yet?)

I tried to register the Glock, but am unable to due to not having a CA lic or military ID. Can I register them with out changing my residency and keep them for the duration of being in CA?

Can a Non CA citizen even bring a handgun into CA at all?

All I want to do is bring a gun down to be able to go to the range for some fun now and then.

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and your help.

el_hombre70
01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, soon to be staying in CA. I do not plan on being a CA resident for some time either. I travel to CA frequently with a Glock and a 1911. Just keep it to 10 round mags and you should be good to go. When I travel there, the pistols are in a locked Pelican case unless they are being used.

Librarian
01-03-2011, 1:02 PM
If you are not moving here, you are a visitor.

Visitors need not register their handguns.

Visitors may bring any non-'assault weapon' handguns with them, and need not announce their handguns to the CA DOJ.

And you already know the 10-round maximum for magazines; as el_hombre70 notes, please use the completely enclosing locked case for transport. Ammunition may be anywhere but in the gun(s).

Tarn_Helm
01-03-2011, 4:15 PM
Hello,
Thank you for this forum and the information on it. I have been reading but at this point I am just lost. Any advice or help would be appreciated. . . . Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and your help.

When it comes to reading (and many other things you put in your life, your mind, and your organism), I suggest quality not quantity: How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail (http://www.gunlawpress.com/)

wildhawker
01-03-2011, 5:11 PM
Tarn,

While generally a decent resource, that book isn't without some flaws. Most CA law is significantly better fleshed out here and at the CGF wiki.

slappomatt
01-03-2011, 5:32 PM
not to mention that by the time a book gets written and published we in CA have lost about 50 more god given rights...