PDA

View Full Version : m91/30 issues

Haggar85
01-03-2011, 9:38 AM
i am having an issue with my 91/30. i made a youtube video to show whats going wrong with it. the kodak i have is pretty crappy so my apologies for the video being as crappy as my camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZL2L31HZtA

thanks

Barabas
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Take it apart and clean it. The interrupter/ejector spring is either binding or has lost its springiness.

mauser98k
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
loosen the screw for the interrupter. if that doesn't work, replace it.

as far as the round not being ejected, it kind of seems like the extractor needs replacing. doesn't look like it wants to let go. not certain on that one though

EDIT: although just playing with one of my Mosins, the extractor is probably fine. seems like the whole issue revolves around the interrupter

Lucky Scott
01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
99.9 percent of the time, you just need to clean it really good.
The cosmoline gets in the gun and gum's everything up.
Take it completely apart, even the bolt, and clean it really good.
You may need to do it a couple times.

Flyin Brian
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I had one recently with this same problem and it was an easy fix once I figured it out. Remove the action from the stock and lay the receiver on it's right side so you can work on the ejector. Carefully lift up on the spring and slide the ejector out from underneath it. Clean the ejector and the slot in the receiver where it rides. I usually use a green 3M scotch pad to polish the crud off the ejector but if it's blued and you want to protect the finish, use some solvent and a cleaning patch.

OK, so here's the important part. When you are looking at the spring without the ejector in place, make absolutely sure that the rectangular hole in the spring is perfectly aligned with the slot in the receiver. On the one I had problems with, the spring was bent down a little so that it put sideways pressure on the ejector and caused drag on it that prevented it from moving freely. Here is a photo I found on the net that shows someone lifting up on the spring. Notice how the rectangular hole is lined up with the slot:

http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/td33.JPG

Also, loosening the screw is NOT a solution to this problem. If you do choose to remove the screw and spring, be aware that the spring is held in place by a groove machined into the receiver. If you remove the screw, the spring will stay in place until you drive it out to the left with a punch.

Haggar85
01-03-2011, 1:50 PM
i tore it down and clean the interrupter. i think the spring is done for, i have to dig through project box to find my spare. strange thing is the spring is coated in black flaky lacquer.
i know this mosin had been passed around the soviet block states so it might be some strange part from another country.

Haggar85
01-03-2011, 4:16 PM
it was not the spring messing things up, it was the magazine. the small cut out on the left side was too small. The spring would just press up against it and not do much.

NYY
01-03-2011, 5:28 PM
At least you figured it out. Be careful with those live rounds in your rifle INSIDE your house as well :D

Haggar85
01-03-2011, 8:38 PM
no worries it was not in the direction of my neighbors or any populated areas.

OHOD
01-03-2011, 8:43 PM
I like this thread.
Learned a few things.
Thanks Haggar85