PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

nickaber
08-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok, I just purchased a OLL, I have a simple question?
If I have no evil features I can have detachable mags and be legal or do I have to have a Fixed mag?

Thank You

bu-bye
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
You are correct. No pistol grip and you can remove that mag all you want. Check out the link in my sig for more info.

tenpercentfirearms
08-02-2006, 11:38 PM
You are correct. No pistol grip and you can remove that mag all you want. Check out the link in my sig for more info.
He means no evil features and you can have a detachable magazine. Don't forget about the other 5 features, especially with all of the flare and grenade launchers lying about. :rolleyes:

Charliegone
08-03-2006, 12:18 AM
He means no evil features and you can have a detachable magazine. Don't forget about the other 5 features, especially with all of the flare and grenade launchers lying about. :rolleyes:

Its for the children!!! Soon the streets will be running amuck with criminals firing inert grenades and flares!!! Think of the children!!;) :D

Gunsrruss
08-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Its for the children!!! Soon the streets will be running amuck with criminals firing inert grenades and flares!!! Think of the children!!;) :D

Do you own a Bazooka?? Do you know that there is absolutely no market in the black market for 3.5 rocket shells.

JPglee1
08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Do you own a Bazooka?? Do you know that there is absolutely no market in the black market for 3.5 rocket shells.

Hrm... Rico told me he's got 3.25" shells, but they're in Otay Mesa. He said check with him on Tuesday, Mondo should have them out the tunnel by then :D :rolleyes:

JP

P.S. In case you think Im serious...I'm not LOL

xLusi0n
08-06-2006, 12:39 AM
How are we going to put up a good insurgency (like in Iraq) when we're over ran without 107 and 122 mm rockets and machine guns!?

colin1
08-06-2006, 4:02 AM
As long as you do not have a pistol grip or any other "evil" features, your ok, but be careful there is a lot of people pinning mags and going ape sh&t with "evil" features, this does not help our cause. BUT stay legal read the AR/AK faq all the info you could ever need is posted.

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 8:00 AM
As long as you do not have a pistol grip or any other "evil" features, your ok, but be careful there is a lot of people pinning mags and going ape sh&t with "evil" features, this does not help our cause. :confused: How is building a legally configured rifle "not helping our cause"?

colin1
08-06-2006, 1:02 PM
Hey I would love to tweak my AR with all the goodies, I have a OLL and a pre ban bushmaster. BUT the fact of the matter is that the government that makes laws to ban certain firearms justs looks at it, if it looks mean they want to ban it, it has nothing to do with how it operates. For five years I kicked myself for not buying more firearms before the ban, but now we have the chance to own once again. Our point is these are not AWs but long rifles, this would look a lot better if people didn't dress them up like a full on battle rifle, that is all I'm saying. Who needs a telescoping stock, bayonet lug, or flash supressor anyways. I think we are playing with fire here in this country called kalifornia, after this they will probaly ban all centerfire selfloading rifles with a detachable mag, ie. mini 14s, M1As, keltecs, and so on. I think our best coures would be to make our rifles look like anything but a battle rifle. This is only my opinion, in the last 10 years I have watched gun rights go down the drain in this "great state", and everytime gun owners have lost, to many liberals, but hey this is just my opinion.

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 7:03 PM
Hey I would love to tweak my AR with all the goodies, I have a OLL and a pre ban bushmaster. BUT the fact of the matter is that the government that makes laws to ban certain firearms justs looks at it, if it looks mean they want to ban it, it has nothing to do with how it operates. For five years I kicked myself for not buying more firearms before the ban, but now we have the chance to own once again. Our point is these are not AWs but long rifles, this would look a lot better if people didn't dress them up like a full on battle rifle, that is all I'm saying. Who needs a telescoping stock, bayonet lug, or flash supressor anyways. I think we are playing with fire here in this country called kalifornia, after this they will probaly ban all centerfire selfloading rifles with a detachable mag, ie. mini 14s, M1As, keltecs, and so on. I think our best coures would be to make our rifles look like anything but a battle rifle. This is only my opinion, in the last 10 years I have watched gun rights go down the drain in this "great state", and everytime gun owners have lost, to many liberals, but hey this is just my opinion.
Your opinion has been noted. I disagree. I will not lick the hands of my masters. If they think they can come back and ban all semi-autos, then let them try. If they succeed, then it was something they wanted to do and could do whether we cowered at their feet and only had "hunting" or "sporting" rifles or whether we built up legal off list lowers with fixed magazines. Trying to appease them by not rocking the boat is as effective as giving Hitler Lorraine Alsace, Austria, The Sudentland, and the rest of Czceckoslovakia. Appeasement does not work.

So let the liberals try to take all semi-autos. If it is allowed to happen it isn't because free men chose to build rifles that were seen as "evil". It will be because free men didn't stand up and fight this political fight like they should have. Or it could simply be because we are out numbered in this state. It sure as hell isn't because thousands of us decided despite the scare tactics, we weren't afraid to exercise our rights.

1911_Mitch
08-06-2006, 8:21 PM
Well, if it does eventually come to banning all semi/mag fed weapons:mad: .....

Instead of the spray and pray, I guess it will have to be a dead-nuts sniper shot;) :cool: :D

colin1
08-07-2006, 1:35 AM
Hey I'm not just saying roll over and let them win, I think that by owning an OLL (many of them) I'm standing up for and fighting for my gun rights. Not to mention that I'm a NRA member, and range safty officer, as well as a member to four shooting clubs. I'm just saying if we rock that boat too much we might not like the outcome. Although I have pretty much givin up on california, I'm not keeping my hopes up for anything, when I bought my OLLs I bought them thinking that there was a good chance that I would not be able to keep them. Oh well I guess its time to move out of kilifornia and back to the United States....

HUTCH 7.62
08-08-2006, 10:13 PM
The way I figure i9t if I have an OLL with all the Evil features I will modify it to be legal in a post ban config if need be but if it turns ou5t that it's all legal with a pinned mag then hey at least I did not by a post ban upper and waste allo that money.

colin1
08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
How is buying a post ban upper a waste of money, mine shoots just fine. Plus if you need a bayonet in a fire fight things have gone REALLY wrong. Oh and if there is ever a reg period are you going to keep the mag pinned with all your EVIL features. I would take a detachable mag over any usless features like a bayonet lug, do you even own a bayonet?

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2006, 7:38 AM
WOW good spelling HUTCH, How is buying a post ban upper a waste of money, mine shoots just fine. Plus if you need a bayonet in a fire fight things have gone REALLY wrong. Oh and if there is ever a reg period are you going to keep the mag pinned with all your EVIL features. I would take a detachable mag over any usless features like a bayonet lug, do you even own a bayonet?
Colin, you really need to stop making a fool of yourself. In California the bayonet lug is not an "evil feature' and is not regulated in anyway. If you were going to harp on this guy you need to harp on him about a

flash suppressor
pistol grip
forward pistol grip
collapsible stock
thumbhole stock
grenade/flare launcher

Those are the features when combined with a detachable magazine that makes a rifle an assault weapon in California. Bayonet lugs are 100% legal and have nothing to do with California rifles and their legality.

Again, you are trying real hard to sound knowledgable, but often when you try and "bite back" at someone, you are flat out wrong. Again, you can get pissed at me and call me upity or do what you want. When you are right, you are right. When you are wrong, you are wrong. Your rationale and reasoning is wrong. I would highly recommend you learn CA law a little better so you can not only argue with people on this board more effectively, but with the liberals you might run into that might know the law better than you apparently do.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
!@#$$%#

Wow! less than 20 posts and already making friends...:confused:

colin1
08-09-2006, 1:06 PM
Wow Tenpercent I didnt know you were still looking at this thread, I was actually just messing with HUTCH7.62 as I know him and got him into the whole OLL. Plus I know that the only reason he posted was just to get a rise out of me. The whole point I was trying to make has been lost. California government bans on looks, if it looks mean its bad and needs to be banned. I think our best course is to make these rifles look like a long rifle not a battle rifle. But anyways this thread is getting old.....

blkA4alb
08-09-2006, 1:14 PM
Wow I missed an exciting thread. :D My rifle isn't decked out in evil forward pistol grips, yet at least I think it looks pretty darn 'evil'. Maybe you should paint your rifles white colin, the sign of surrender? :)

colin1
08-09-2006, 2:13 PM
This thread is getting sporty now! I guess I stirred the chili pot a little. I think people misunderstood me, I'm not against rifles with evil features or anything like that. I'm against laws that take away my rights, and I want to do anything to keep the few gun rights I still have in this state. Plus I guess because I have a reg'ed AR that I've been shooting for so long, that cant have "evil" features, I'm not used to them. In any case instead of bickering back and forth we should be helping one another, gun owners and supporters are a dying breed in this state and we need to stick together to save what we've got.

rorschach
08-09-2006, 2:38 PM
Bayonets are not an evil feature. That's a throwback to the 94 Fed ban. Has no affect on PRK now.

I like bayo lugs. Bayonet fighting is a dying art, I dont even think the Army teaches it anymore except for infantry MOS's.

Every Marine is still trained in bayonet fighting, in fact in todays modern military when bayonets are considered obsolete, the Marine Corps embraces them, and has even adopted a new bayonet for the 21st century, loosely based on the legendary Ka-Bar fighting knife. Most of my rifles are military style rifles, and I'm trying to keep them fairly authentic representations. Even though I'd never need it, much like flash suppressor, I'm pretty stoked to be able to have a bayo lug on my rifles now.

mailman
08-09-2006, 2:40 PM
Wow! less than 20 posts and already making friends...:confused:

DID U CHANGE HIS NAME TO COLON :D

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 2:43 PM
Plus I guess because I have a reg'ed AR that I've been shooting for so long, that cant have "evil" features, I'm not used to them.

What evil features do you think you can't have? We get a lot of folks in here with reg'ed AR's who haven't realized that their restrictions ended with the 2004 expiration of the 1994 Federal AWB.

If it's registered, you're basically only bound by federal law. I think you might not be allowed to do a flare launcher on a reg'ed AW though, but I'm not sure - someone else probably knows.

colin1
08-09-2006, 3:01 PM
I thought that even though the federal ban was up cali laws still say with registered AWs you could only have one evil feature "pistol grip". I also thought it had to do when you bought your rifle. I ran out and bought a Bushmaster DCM right before the ban, and it came with no evil features but the pistol grip. At that time I was under the impression that I could not add anymore evil features. Has anything changed that?

Oh and Rorschach with the whole bayonet thing I was just messing with my buddy, he just got his Bushmaster upper with a bayonet lug and he was so excited about it. I know I'm going see him running around his back yard playing GI Joe attacking tree's with his bayonet soon. His wife is going to hate me for talking him into getting a OLL.:D

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 3:08 PM
I thought that even though the federal ban was up cali laws still say with registered AWs you could only have one evil feature "pistol grip". I also thought it had to do when you bought your rifle. I ran out and bought a Bushmaster DCM right before the ban, and it came with no evil features but the pistol grip. At that time I was under the impression that I could not add anymore evil features. Has anything changed that?

Nah, California law says you can't have ANY evil features with a detachable mag - unless it's a registered AW. If it's a registered AW, you can have as many evil features as you want. The overlapping bans resulted in a lot of people being told what "the law" said about their rifles, which was actually a composite of the two laws.

You don't have those rules to play by anymore, unless you want to. You can stick a telescoping stock, pistol grip, flash hider, and forward pistol grip on it if you want. Oh, and of course with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug. CA never cared about those features anyway. :)

colin1
08-09-2006, 3:13 PM
Well thats good news to hear, thanks for the info. I guess I will be ordering a new upper for my Bushmaster then, darn just when I thought I was done spending money on ARs! Oh well here we go again:)

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 3:22 PM
Well thats good news to hear, thanks for the info. I guess I will be ordering a new upper for my Bushmaster then, darn just when I thought I was done spending money on ARs! Oh well here we go again:)

An employee at my range let me try out his MAWP registered AR, which had a really neat build.

9mm upper, pistol grip, forward regular pistol grip with pressure-actuated taclight, collapsible stock, EOtech sight, and Uzi mags. That was a recipe for fun - if they do end up doing registration and allowing evil features, I'll probably end up doing something like that.

colin1
08-09-2006, 3:42 PM
sounds sweet, not sure how sold I am on a 9mm upper, but I havent shot one so I guess I cant make judgements. It take Uzi mags? That rocks! I might have to do some shopping.:p

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 3:50 PM
sounds sweet, not sure how sold I am on a 9mm upper, but I havent shot one so I guess I cant make judgements. It take Uzi mags? That rocks! I might have to do some shopping.:p

Main attractions to 9mm are:

1. Low priced ammo.
2. Low penetration, for when you actually WANT that.
3. Many ranges that won't allow rifles will allow rifles chambered in handgun rounds.

Of course, you have to have had the mags before the ban, unless you wanna shoot 10rd modded Uzi mags. Depending on the magblock you use, you could use Uzi, Sten, or original Colt SMG mags.

colin1
08-09-2006, 4:24 PM
All good points, mabey its a reason to own two uppers one for 9mm and one for 5.56.:D

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2006, 7:30 PM
See Colin, you learn something new all the time. You can indeed put as many evil features on your registered rifle as you want (with maybe exception to the flare/grenade launcher). And you can even build up a 9mm and if you just happened to have some 25 round Uzi or Colt mags that you bought before the 2000 ban, you can use those too! I am stuck with a 9mm and no 10 round magazines right now so I can't shoot it except as a single shot until I make some permanently 10 round mags! Now I am envous of you! How quickly the tides turn.

Please stick around here, we will get you good and educated. You need to know more about all of this bull crap so you can start changing hearts and minds. Don't worry, we all know these laws are crap. That is a given and talking about it around here is like preaching to the choir. We need to educate everyone though and you should know the laws of this state. It is hard to fight against it if you don't even know what is going on.

HUTCH 7.62
08-09-2006, 8:49 PM
How is buying a post ban upper a waste of money, mine shoots just fine. Plus if you need a bayonet in a fire fight things have gone REALLY wrong. Oh and if there is ever a reg period are you going to keep the mag pinned with all your EVIL features. I would take a detachable mag over any usless features like a bayonet lug, do you even own a bayonet?

Yes I own a bayonet and heck if I can own them now why not. If I want a detachable mag; if things go in our favor I will make it legal to do so or I will leave the mag pinned. One of the reasons I own multiple recievers is so that I can have choices. Do you have multipe recivers? And If things go real bad at least I can sell it for more money in another state than I could fetch for say, a post ban.