PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Umarex M16 SPR

calibanman
01-02-2011, 5:28 PM
I was just looking for something to spend my $50 gift certificate on and ran across the SPR on sale for 399. I knew I wanted another 22 so what the hell. I know nothing bout this 22 so talk to me fellas. Its not like me to buy with out researching but I saved 300 bucks and today was the last day of the sale... Until it goes back on sale two weeks from now lol.

brassburnz
01-03-2011, 5:57 AM
The rifle at Big 5 is the M16 version of the M4 that a lot of us on Calguns already have. It's not really an AR15, but it looks like one. About the only thing on it you can replace with a real AR part is the stock.

The AR slide release is a dummy. When you open the top, be sure not to lose it. The fire controls sit inside a module that fits inside the AR looking lower.

The real bolt catch is inside the magwell. If you try to insert a real AR mag, it will hit the bolt catch. To drop the bolt, just pull the charge handle and release. To lock the bolt back, you need to insert an empty mag, or you can reach inside the mag well with your finger and push the bolt catch up.

With that said, my M4 is a cool little rifle that is extremely accurate with Aguila SE standard velocity ammo. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards and can easily keep all shots within a 1 inch Shoot N See sticker.

My only gripe is the trigger. It's horrible, but correctable. I liked my M4 so much, I bought another one used off of a fellow Calgunner. Still haven't taken it out to shoot it.

I saw the M16 version you bought at Big 5 and thought that was a great deal. If I didn't already have two M4s and a dedicated .22 cal AR upper, I'd buy one.

jackandblood
01-03-2011, 8:26 AM
From what I understand the big5 coupon cannot be used on firearms, ya gay. :rolleyes:

Still its a damn good deal what with full length aluminum rails. Quality on Umarex rimfires are excellent. I think with the 20" barrel you could probably get good results with that 60 gr. Aguila round too.

oh ya and as I mentioned previously mil spec m-7 bayonets fit perfectly. Why is this important? IDK. If you take it camping and get attacked by a bear and the varmint rounds dont do, you can stab him a few times before he mauls you.

_Z_
01-03-2011, 8:30 AM
From what I understand the big5 coupon cannot be used on firearms, ya gay. :rolleyes:

Still its a damn good deal what with full length aluminum rails. Quality on Umarex rimfires are excellent. I think with the 20" barrel you could probably get good results with that 60 gr. Aguila round too.

He has a gift cert so it should be fine

BHP FAN
01-03-2011, 8:49 AM
I like that the bayonet fits....I wish it fit my M Forgery. I love that Umarex/Colt/Walther otherwise. If I had it to do over again, I'd STILL get the M4, but I might not have got the GSG 5 SD. I might have gone for the full size ''M 16'' from Big Five instead.

DirtNapKing
01-03-2011, 8:50 AM
Its a 50/50 draw. You will get a good rifle or one that is junk. You might want to do a little more on-line research into the results people are having with the Umarex Colt clones. I had one last year and took it back. I myself read all the bad press and chose to go ahead with the purchase. Big mistake!

jackandblood
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
what was wrong with yours? Just out of curiousity

Ksmash01
01-03-2011, 4:59 PM

oh ya and as I mentioned previously mil spec m-7 bayonets fit perfectly. Why is this important? IDK. If you take it camping and get attacked by a bear and the varmint rounds dont do, you can stab him a few times before he mauls you.

Actually, Big 5 will sometimes release coupons specifically for the purchase of firearms.

Not all of the Big 5 Coupons say they can't be used for firearms, but some do. When in doubt, just read the coupon.

homemade
01-03-2011, 8:44 PM
the rear take down pin has problems on those and a lot of them broke the lower where the rear stock mounts.
the rear pin takes excessive pressure to push out and it breaks the receiver.
Do some more research before you buy one.

DirtNapKing
01-03-2011, 9:05 PM
what was wrong with yours? Just out of curiousity Fail to fire every 5th round on average no matter what ammo I ran and no matter where the bolt spring tension was set. Magazine issues feeding last 3 rounds just to list a few. Armed with what beating the gun took in on-line reviews and the results I had with the M4 I took it back. Got full store credit. When I spend a chunk of change on a gun it better work right out of the box. I shouldn't have to fiddle with it or wait for it to break in or send it back to Umarex 2 to 3 times in order to get it fixed like alot of people actually did. Just a bad gun when it came out. If it's coming around I am surprised. With all the bad press, and damage control I am seriously amazed Walther didn't discontinue the guns. I am not going to dig a year plus into the archives here on CG but I am willing to bet there are some lengthly threads on the matter.

BHP FAN
01-04-2011, 5:37 AM
Mine just went flawlessly though a brick of ammo, on it's first outing, with the factory magazine it came with and two more I bought online. I bought the screw replacement kit, but I'm wondering now if I even need it. The only screw that came loose was the one holding on the butt stock.

lewisracing
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I also bought my M4 from Big 5.

Now that my Umarex M4 is broken in, and I understand how to work it, it has been nothing but good to me the last 500 rounds or so... I LOVE this thing, most people cannot tell it's a .22 when it's next to my .223 except for the slightly different magazine design (see below). God forbid a bad financial situation or some major part breaking, I don't ever plan to sell this thing.

I have no idea why a lot of other people have issues. If people are breaking their rear pins, that is because they didn't read the instructions which tells you that you have to unscrew the compensator in order to release tension from the rear pin, at which point it comes out very easily.

The thing is accurate as hell at 100 yards. I only shoot Federal bulk packs from Wal Mart, I was told in other forums that this is the only good ammo for this gun, and so far that is correct.

http://www.spraceteam.com/images/layout.JPG

jackandblood
01-04-2011, 1:38 PM
Fail to fire every 5th round on average no matter what ammo I ran and no matter where the bolt spring tension was set. Magazine issues feeding last 3 rounds just to list a few. Armed with what beating the gun took in on-line reviews and the results I had with the M4 I took it back. Got full store credit. When I spend a chunk of change on a gun it better work right out of the box. I shouldn't have to fiddle with it or wait for it to break in or send it back to Umarex 2 to 3 times in order to get it fixed like alot of people actually did. Just a bad gun when it came out. If it's coming around I am surprised. With all the bad press, and damage control I am seriously amazed Walther didn't discontinue the guns. I am not going to dig a year plus into the archives here on CG but I am willing to bet there are some lengthly threads on the matter.

I hear ya. I think they must have started off bad and gotten better. Generally I remove the muzzle completely before going at the breakdown pin, but this may or maynot have been documented when they first came out.

Oh, for the OP. colt22rimfire.com has two excellent videos on maintenence procedure. Videos may have came out after it hit the market.

calibanman
01-04-2011, 7:56 PM
I was told buy the manager that the dust covers don't stay closed is that correct?

speeedracerr
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
I was told buy the manager that the dust covers don't stay closed is that correct?

That would be correct. If you notice... there is a little notch cut off on the upper receiver assembly so that the dust cover pin would not be able to stay closed.

bjl333
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM

That would be correct. If you notice... there is a little notch cut off on the upper receiver assembly so that the dust cover pin would not be able to stay closed.

On my M4 version the cover does close !!

speeedracerr
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
On my M4 version the cover does close !!

Hmmm... I guess some where manufactured to have a fully functional dust cover perhaps?

Hopefully this is the case because I was annoyed that my cover wouldn't remain closed. :(

DirtNapKing
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/33277/2398544100012641935S600x600Q85.jpgClosed
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/47188/2436263990012641935S600x600Q85.jpgOpen

Let me further help clear up the dust cover myths. Umarex/Colt/Walther meant for these to stay open. Some actually closed as did mine. It would open when you pulled the charging handle back same as an AR.

bjl333
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Hmmm... I guess some where manufactured to have a fully functional dust cover perhaps?

Hopefully this is the case because I was annoyed that my cover wouldn't remain closed. :(

To be fair. If I shake it too hard 1/2 the time the cover will pop open. Maybe they got tired of fixing it and just made it non-closing?

speeedracerr
01-04-2011, 11:11 PM
If you notice where the cover closes... there is a notch that has been rounded-off so that it appears it was intentionally meant for the cover to remain open.

jackandblood
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
A non-issue. I dont get much debris standing in my tiny lil' lane.

DirtNapKing
01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Exactly! :D

speeedracerr
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM

I agree... The only purpose for a functioning cover is for people who are concerned about aesthetic when they clean their rifle and put it away would be my guess...

lewisracing
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
DirtNapKing, please tell us what all your options are on this rifle, it looks sweet!

Rail covers?
Scope?
Scope mount?
Pistol grip?

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/33277/2398544100012641935S600x600Q85.jpgClosed
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/47188/2436263990012641935S600x600Q85.jpgOpen

Let me further help clear up the dust cover myths. Umarex/Colt/Walther meant for these to stay open. Some actually closed as did mine. It would open when you pulled the charging handle back same as an AR.

calibanman
01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
^^^^ya what he said, especially the PG.

DirtNapKing
01-05-2011, 3:55 PM
PG: CAA UPG16 Still have it. I had to re drill and modify the grip to mount properly and clear the hammer strut. Fit and finish was perfect. Grip fit like a charm and not only looked good on the gun but fit my hand like butter once I set it up with the extra finger groove inserts.

FG: CAA FGA You can stuff a short Surefire or Fenix light in there. Push button activated.

Rail covers: Knights Armament I have a boat load in all different sizes that are unused. I think they were blems but not 100% sure. They looked nice enough and I'm picky.

Scope: 100% authentic Aim Point Comp ML3

If you guys are interested in having me install a grip for you send me a PM.

LovingTheYear1911
01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I have the M4 version and mine has been a great and fun gun. I use CCI and Federal bullets and it likes both of them. The quality is good and compared to a real AR, its hard to tell the difference.

Just remember to loosen the muzzle break if you are taking out the rear receiver pin.

Also, my dust cover stays closed too but if you shake the gun, it opens by itself. Its not meant to stay closed because if its closed and you shoot it, the little .22 shell does not have enough force to open the cover.

And a little tip, when you go to Big 5, tell them to honor the LAST SALE PRICE, and usually they will. So you can still get it for $399 even after the 'sale' is over. ;)

ROMANMCM
02-13-2011, 5:33 PM
I bought mine a month ago and took it to the range last week. I used 40gr CCI blazer ammo. It double fed or stovepiped every secong or third round. Clearing it was a pain in the rear and it just got worse as I shot it. Dry, oiled, soaking...no difference. So far I am convinced its a piece of C&#P. I called Colt about it and they said don't talk to us talk to UMAREX. I asked the customer service rep how much of the gun was Colt and she said, "I am not sure...probably not much of it". So basically I bought the name and emblem. The UMAREX guy was not much better..."adjust the bolt speed". Ok Sure...why didn't you in the first place? I will revisit this post later after I tinker with it. If anyone has/had the same issues and solved it please send a note my way. I will try my Federal ammo next...

JUST an update. Tried 5 differnet brands, adjusting bolt speed, lube types.
Its going back to UMAREX, and reluctantly on their part. Colt still no help at all and seemd to wash their hands of it completely. How can they put their name on this thing?
Could end up as a paperweight if it comes back with same problem.
Should have just converted one of my AR's.

zrockstar
02-15-2011, 1:10 PM
the rear take down pin has problems on those and a lot of them broke the lower where the rear stock mounts.
the rear pin takes excessive pressure to push out and it breaks the receiver.
Do some more research before you buy one.

People not reading the instruction manual or the HUGE red card that comes with the rifle IS NOT a defect... Anyways, I have had mine for a couple weeks now, probably already put close to 700 rounds through it, and everything is very smooth. Had a couple light strikes, but unlike other people, I read the instruction manual and know there is a spring adjustment. I didn't adjust it, however, since it was just a couple boxes of leftover ammo, and the rifle had been functioning flawlessly for me on CCI Mini Mags, which is what I shoot in my Mosquito anyway. Pretty much all the problems you read with these rifles can be attributed to people not reading the instruction manual. Not saying that there isn't a few lemons out there, but that is with every gun.

lewisracing
02-15-2011, 5:41 PM
People not reading the instruction manual or the HUGE red card that comes with the rifle IS NOT a defect... Anyways, I have had mine for a couple weeks now, probably already put close to 700 rounds through it, and everything is very smooth. Had a couple light strikes, but unlike other people, I read the instruction manual and know there is a spring adjustment. I didn't adjust it, however, since it was just a couple boxes of leftover ammo, and the rifle had been functioning flawlessly for me on CCI Mini Mags, which is what I shoot in my Mosquito anyway. Pretty much all the problems you read with these rifles can be attributed to people not reading the instruction manual. Not saying that there isn't a few lemons out there, but that is with every gun.

+1, I have no issues with my Umarex M4 because I READ THE MANUAL and did not try to use crappy ammo and did not try to push out the rear pin like a regular AR.

raz0rbladez909
02-16-2011, 8:38 AM
+1, I have no issues with my Umarex M4 because I READ THE MANUAL and did not try to use crappy ammo and did not try to push out the rear pin like a regular AR.

I read the manual through and through and whether it is adjusted for high velocity ammo or regular ammo, I still get at least 1 failure to fire with each magazine. The gun is well maintained and cleaned after each time I have gone but it is a bit annoying to clear jams everytime with each magazine. I have used both CCI ammo as well as a few types of Winchester with no luck.

I haven't had the thing for over a year yet, and those of you that have taken yours back, how did you go about doing so? did they only give you store credit? whats the deal?

zrockstar
02-16-2011, 1:00 PM
I read the manual through and through and whether it is adjusted for high velocity ammo or regular ammo, I still get at least 1 failure to fire with each magazine. The gun is well maintained and cleaned after each time I have gone but it is a bit annoying to clear jams everytime with each magazine. I have used both CCI ammo as well as a few types of Winchester with no luck.

I haven't had the thing for over a year yet, and those of you that have taken yours back, how did you go about doing so? did they only give you store credit? whats the deal?

If you haven't tried it already, try out some of the American Eagle bulk. I ran a box (not brick) of it through mine based off a gun shop recommendation, and it functioned 100%. Also try incremental adjustments on the spring if you haven't already. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal, either all the way in or out, you can crank it a couple turns then adjust from there. If you've had it for close to a year already, I can't imagine any gun store doing a refund, you probably will want to go directly through Umarex if there is a true problem. Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different magazine at all? I have noticed if mine isn't fully seated then I get some fail to fires.

lewisracing
02-17-2011, 1:53 PM

Mine works fine on Federal Bulk (Both Champion and "Wal Mart special"). I did not need to make any velocity adjustments.

LovingTheYear1911
02-17-2011, 2:03 PM
My M4 likes the Federal 550 bulk pack from Wally world. In the beginning it would FTE but that went away after it broke in. Since then its worked well and I have put over 1000 rounds through it.

raz0rbladez909
02-17-2011, 2:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different magazine at all? I have noticed if mine isn't fully seated then I get some fail to fires.

That is something I have not yet tried, is there any other brands that make mags for our guns or is it only through umarex? Best prices on them?

LovingTheYear1911
02-17-2011, 5:25 PM
It doesnt seem like any other magazines will fit the Umarex M4/16 rifle. As for the magazine not seating in right, slam it in the receiver. Sometimes I have to hit it pretty hard to get seated. Its a tight fit.