PDA

View Full Version : SR9c Review

Bill Steele
01-02-2011, 5:07 PM
So I finally got to take the Ruger SR9c out this morning. I had bought it for my wife as she loves her SR9, but she couldn't rack the slide easily and finally gave up on the gun (it is pretty stiff) so she gave it back to me.

I took the mag interlock out before shooting it and it seemed to improve the trigger some. It will never be a custom 1911 trigger, but I was actually pretty impressed with how the gun shot. The accuracy was astounding for such a short sight radius, easily keeping a magzine's worth within a 5" ring at 15 yards. I have never had a compact pistol shoot this well right out of the box. What is even stranger is the gun really doesn't fit my hand all that well with the back strap ending before my hand ends, so the lower part of my palm is kind of hanging in space.

I had feed and eject problems with one of the light reloads I was trying, but that wasn't the guns fault as even my H&K USP was having a problem cycling my 115gr Berry plated bullets with 6.5gr of Acurr #7. When I switched to the 6.2 gr vv-3N37 loads she cycled well (so did the USP) and the gun was a tack driver. I think I have already found my load for the SR9c. The gun is remarkable also with quick followup shots. The recoil is mild and she seems to fall right back down into the slot after each shot.

Anyway, I have to say, all things considered, the SR9c is a heck of a lot of value in a small package.

kTC xDEICIDEx
01-02-2011, 5:16 PM
SR9 is a great gun I might have to try out the compact model next time 

redhemi
01-02-2011, 6:07 PM
I enjoy shooting my SR9 and I really enjoy shooting my SR9c. Bill I,m glad you like SR9c it is a great little gun but you better be careful once that slide spring breaks in some your wife just might want it back. kTC make sure you have the money for the SR9c because after you shoot one I can almost bet you'll be buying one. Enjoy and be safe, Redhemi

Bill Steele
01-02-2011, 6:54 PM
Bill I,m glad you like SR9c it is a great little gun but you better be careful once that slide spring breaks in some your wife just might want it back. .., Redhemi

It was funny, when I got back from the range, I told my wife how surprised I was with the SR9c, saying I would surely put it in the bag each time I went from now on. She said, "Maybe after it breaks in a little, I can try it again... "

I have a feeling it will not me mine that much longer. :)

Speedpower
01-05-2011, 8:42 PM
So how is the grip on the SR9c compared to a full size SR9?

Legasat
01-05-2011, 8:53 PM
I haven't shot the "c" yet, but I liked the full size.

Glad you like your "c"

Bill Steele
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
So how is the grip on the SR9c compared to a full size SR9?

The grip is short. Even with the optional mag cuff (which does help with the pinky), the backstrap ends before my hand ends (my hands are probably med-large, but not NFL big). The strange thing is even with this less than perfect fit, I was shooting the SR9c as well as my V1 modded H&K P2000, maybe a little better on quick followup shots.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised at how easy it was to shoot very accurately. Felt recoil was definitely lighter than my P2000.

vico512
01-06-2011, 8:19 AM
The grip is short. Even with the optional mag cuff (which does help with the pinky), the backstrap ends before my hand ends (my hands are probably med-large, but not NFL big). The strange thing is even with this less than perfect fit, I was shooting the SR9c as well as my V1 modded H&K P2000, maybe a little better on quick followup shots.

I also love my SR9c -- my daughter (25) fired both an SR9 & my SR9c, and said they felt virtually identical to her. One advantage we have up here is the ability to use the 17-round magazine -- it adds around 1/2" to the bottom of the grip. I can consistently get 3" groups @ 7 yards with Bullseye/124 gr reloads.