PDA

View Full Version : Good shooting day

infamous209
01-02-2011, 3:56 PM
I went to the range yesterday with my dad and brother, all of us shooting .22s, my bro just got a 1022 and i have to admit im very impressed with its ability to shoot "anything". We helped him sight it in a bit and then decided to test it out by finding ammo that had been dropped by other shooters, some were in water and still fired, the only problem was Remington GB that was proven garbage ammo.

Mail Clerk
01-02-2011, 6:11 PM
Generally I like Remington GB's. I liike the dry lube "golden color" on the lead bullets compared to CCI's Mini-Mag version but those has a greasy copper feel top them and creeps me out. Tha's why most of the time I like to shoot the non-coated bullets instead.

Remington bullets has had duds before but CCI is much more relaible but in the 22long rifle game no matter the brand expect dud on every brick you fire. it's normal considering how many is produced at one time during production. It also mean nothing negative against your rifle it's strictly the ammo.

Mail Clerk

infamous209
01-02-2011, 6:23 PM
I have shot over 1000 cci mini mags both hp and rn, to this day i have not had one single dud, ftf, fte, stovepipe or any kind of hick up. I had on average 8 out of 10 were good with the remington gb, in my opinion a horrible statistic from in my opinion a front runner in the gun industry. I also feel to each his own and if it works for you, dont let me hold you back, I just would never recommend it to anyone.

870JG10/22
01-02-2011, 7:12 PM
I was strongly disappointed in the fact that Remington numbers are that horrible as far as things go they make FANTASTIC guns but 8/10 is not what I want especially in the event of a break in to my home I shoot Federals and although haven't finished my first box of 550 have not found a single dud, ftf, I did have one failure to eject all the way it was partly ejected and the bolt closed on it. I really enjoy my new 10/22 and other then needing to finish sighting it in I had a lot of fun with it.

jyo
01-02-2011, 7:43 PM
It used to be that the Remington "Golden Bullet" was the gold standard of .22 ammo---I bought bricks and bricks of this stuff over the decades---always top-flight---until recently---the last few years when it became very prone to missfires---sad to see this fine American brand go downhill so badly. Remington QC on their firearms has also taken a bad turn in the last several years. In .22 ammo, I believe the CCI products (Mini-mags etc.) are now the best you can buy. I shoot several thousand .22lr rounds a year thru many different guns long and short.

dangerranger
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
If you like that "golden" look, Lee sells a bullit lube called Liquid allox [LLA]. properly applied it has that golden look. if too thick it goes kind of brown. I have used it to lube some fed auto match. a buddy thought I was shooting GBs, and bought a bunch of them seeing how clean they shot in my gun. Boy was he disapointed! DR

USMC VET
01-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I've shot over 500 cci mini mags and about 200 cci stingers and have never had a dud. I'm really happy with cci and their rounds over 1260 fps.

MrPlink
01-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I've run countless thousands of various cci never an issue. Remmy on the other hand is a little crap tastic.
My 1522 seems to eat almost anything, and still groups very very well with blazers, so I don't think ill be buying mini mags anymore.

pilote
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I've shot over 500 cci mini mags and about 200 cci stingers and have never had a dud. I'm really happy with cci and their rounds over 1260 fps.

my inventory is 80% cci: minimags (mostly), velocitors and stingers...the other 20% is mostly agilia hi velocity, then other lesser cheap stuff like bulk fed, win and rem that comes my way from quick sale buys or gifts...

i will not waste my money on cheap dirty ammo.

870JG10/22
01-08-2011, 2:56 PM
I have to say that it does suck to see Remington going down the drain my 870 is a wonderful gun and have always been very happy with it but after shooting the Remmy's found on the range I will not spend the money on them im not to worried about my groupings on the range as long as im consistant. I just enjoy putting bullets down range on target I shoot Federal's Bulk packs mostly because I don't have alot of money to spend on shooting and 550 lasts me 2 days of shooting for the most part. But I did fire CCI minimags today on a fresh target and did notice that the grouping was alot tighter. When I go hunting im going to take CCI because I dont want to miss on moving targets hahahah.

Izzy43
01-08-2011, 3:07 PM
There is no questin that Remington .22 ammo is the bottom of the barrel. Just gotta look at various websites to see that 19 out of 20 shooters dislike it. I wouldn't shoot it if it was free. Too dirty, too many malfunctions which is horrible in a hunting situation. Its not inexpensive, its CHEAP crap. Rant over.

rojocorsa
01-09-2011, 12:16 AM
A buddy was shooting his old school Savage 29A (we found it in a very neglected condition in his garage, but it is still supper accurate--not even funny!). Anyway, we were shooting some .22s today, and he had a box of Golden Turds. He only had one problem, but it was bad enough that he had to strip the whole gun down. One of the brass expanded too much so that it gave the gun an FTE. Initially, I had thought that he had a split case, but still.

I've also had some issues with jamming Mk.2 and 3, and lots of misfires in those Rugers. (Primarily talking about a range rental, if it matters).

Even my cheap Winchester White Box .22 (with a Super-X headstamp) works better. I've not had any problems with it whatsoever. And this is supposed to be crappy too.

If I got free Golden Bullets, I would shoot them, and that's only because I don't have a lot of money, honestly.

The brand I want to try next is the Federal bulk pack, from Walmart. Except my lovely local Walmart in Marina, CA doesn't sell any ammo at all, which is totally lame. (I love their Federal birdshot value packs).

Francis Marion
01-09-2011, 2:39 PM
...my bro just got a 1022 and i have to admit im very impressed with its ability to shoot "anything". We helped him sight it in a bit and then decided to test it out by finding ammo that had been dropped by other shooters, some were in water and still fired, the only problem was Remington GB that was proven garbage ammo.

Any place outside of Peshawar, (we're not that hard up in CA yet) bad idea-
this will harm your barrel with time. Once it's dropped in the dirt, consider that round garbage. Much more so with range pickup ammo.

Glad you folks enjoyed a fun day at the range. Share with friends and family.