PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Mags?

Go Navy
01-02-2011, 8:15 AM
You're planning to head to your favorite shooting range. To save a little front end time at the range, you do some of the tedious work of loading, say, a half-dozen mags at home (the number doesn't matter....I assume). You put your semi-auto rifle or pistol in its case, and then in the trunk. You put the loaded mags into your range bag and it goes in the trunk. Then you lock the trunk.

You get underway for the range. Are you in compliance with Taxifornia law?

SikDMAX
01-02-2011, 8:17 AM
Yes.

EOD Guy
01-02-2011, 8:17 AM
You're planning to head to your favorite shooting range. To save a little front end time at the range, you do some of the tedious work of loading, say, a half-dozen mags at home (the number doesn't matter....I assume). You put your semi-auto rifle or pistol in its case, and then in the trunk. You put the loaded mags into your range bag and it goes in the trunk. Then you lock the trunk.

You get underway for the range. Are you in compliance with Taxifornia law?

Yes.

MudCamper
01-02-2011, 8:19 AM
Yes, legal. Many folks will tell you otherwise but they are incorrect. Loaded magazines are not loaded guns. See the What Is Loaded (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=103660) thread for more details.

Nor-Cal
01-02-2011, 8:24 AM
Yes perfectly legal!

Matt3989
01-02-2011, 8:30 AM
yes, just don't have the mags in the gun and you are fine

CaliforniaLiberal
01-02-2011, 8:58 AM
In times past there have been some cops who believed that a loaded magazine all by itself, not inserted in a gun is equivalent to a loaded gun. Lots of Californians will tell you that if you have ammo in the same container as an unloaded gun, that's equivalent to a loaded gun. A quick reading of the Code will show that neither of these beliefs are accurate. An unloaded gun is unloaded regardless of magazines or ammo nearby.

Uriah02
01-02-2011, 9:06 AM
I always preload my magazines, I keep them in the range bag. The thing to be specific, a loaded magazine is only considered a loaded weapon if you are in the process of commiting a felony and they are within reach (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1247874&postcount=2).

Jake71
01-02-2011, 9:14 AM
1/2 dozen 10rd mags... tedious = no
1 dozen 30rd mags... tedious = maybe

Tripper
01-02-2011, 9:14 AM
thats one I find really amazing, that case was settled back in like 96 with state vs. clark, (i could be referencing the wrong case, but there is case law) but until this latest Open Carry movement, you ask any LEO if you can have a gun in open holster on your right side, with loaded magazines on your left side, they would conclude the gun is loaded. that to me, is neglegent on behalf of the academy, the agency, and the officer, for not knowing otherwise. Only recently as last year was there a lexipol memo, coming out that advised LEO's otherwise. even now, a significant number of officers do not know that. Pretty bad that you have to go to jail, get a DA reject, to move on, then wait 60-90 days to get your gun back, based on negligence, If it me being ignorant of the law, its no excuse, but its ok for LEO's to be ignorant of the law, and even worse for the them to still enforce something that you can show them is incorrect, thats beyond negligent.

MrClamperSir
01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California

Full Clip
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
1/2 dozen 10rd mags... tedious = no
1 dozen 30rd mags... tedious = maybe

1 dozen 30rd mags... AWESOME!!!!!

paul0660
01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
You get underway for the range.

Just to be perfectly clear, going to the range has nothing to do with it. You can drive around like this forever, and almost anywhere.

Pat Riot
01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Mags, perfectly legal,

The guns? Depends on where your car is parked when you put them in the trunk. If you put your guns in an unlocked back and carry them to a public place (including your driveway if you do not have a gate between you and the street), and you do not have a CCW then you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

So if your car is parked in a public place and you bring your guns in an unlocked container to your trunk you are in violation of state law. I think 12050...

paul0660
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
It's 12025, and only applies to concealable weapons, not long guns.

Go Navy
01-02-2011, 1:16 PM
Excellent replies and info......thanks to all.

DannyInSoCal
01-02-2011, 1:31 PM
Mags, perfectly legal,

The guns? Depends on where your car is parked when you put them in the trunk. If you put your guns in an unlocked back and carry them to a public place (including your driveway if you do not have a gate between you and the street), and you do not have a CCW then you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

So if your car is parked in a public place and you bring your guns in an unlocked container to your trunk you are in violation of state law. I think 12050...

Sidearms - Correct. Rifles - No.

Matt C
01-02-2011, 1:38 PM
Is the "locked" trunk accessible from inside the car? Many are. Also many cops still don't understand the case law on this, so you may still take a ride. Don't consent to warrantless searches.

blazing
01-07-2011, 8:03 PM
i have a rilfe case that has a side pouch that has a holster and some mag pockets. could i have a lock on the pistol and have an have unloaded mags in the mag pockets? there will also be rifles in the main compartment if that matters.

Oceanbob
01-07-2011, 8:17 PM
i have a rilfe case that has a side pouch that has a holster and some mag pockets. could i have a lock on the pistol and have an have unloaded mags in the mag pockets? there will also be rifles in the main compartment if that matters.

If you place a bare pistol on the floor of your (inaccessible) Trunk, that is considered a LOCKED CONTAINER. (the Trunk)

Having a handgun in a rifle bag (unloaded) would work just as well as long as the Rifle bag was in the trunk.

A handgun lock does not count for anything. Ever.

To be legal a handgun has to be in a LOCKED CONTAINER and unloaded.

Nothing else applies.

blazing
01-08-2011, 8:24 PM
i was aware that the trunk act as a locked container cuz i had ask a cop that before. my question was could i keep the mags for the postol in the same pocket as the pistol if the mags were unloaded?

uyoga
01-08-2011, 8:33 PM
i was aware that the trunk act as a locked container cuz i had ask a cop that before. my question was could i keep the mags for the postol in the same pocket as the pistol if the mags were unloaded?

You can keep the mags, LOADED or UNLOADED, in the same container as the pistols AS LONG AS there is not a LOADED mag IN the pistol.

Rock6.3
01-08-2011, 9:13 PM
What must be done if the vehicle is an SUV, no trunk? Can the pistol be locked in its case in the rear, and ammo in an unlocked box?

blazing
01-08-2011, 9:14 PM
stright foward answer. just what i was looking for. thxs :clap:

Librarian
01-08-2011, 9:28 PM
What must be done if the vehicle is an SUV, no trunk? Can the pistol be locked in its case in the rear, and ammo in an unlocked box?

That, or in the same box. Just not inserted in the gun.

Decoligny
01-08-2011, 9:29 PM

The pistol can be locked in a box on your lap with the ammo in the same box. As long as the pistol is not loaded you are fine.

Lrchops
01-08-2011, 9:55 PM
not only are you in compliance,,,you can open carry your gun unloaded and have loaded mags in mag pouches on your holster belt ready to rock!!!!

racky
01-08-2011, 10:17 PM
1 dozen 30rd mags... AWESOME!!!!!

/agree :yes:

B Strong
01-09-2011, 8:54 AM
Yes - a loaded mag that isn't in the rifle/handgun/shotgun is permissible to have in your vehicle, and it does not need to be locked seperately from the firearm.

Smokeybehr
01-09-2011, 9:49 AM
To try and make this as clear as possible, there must be at least one lock on a container that fully encloses the handgun between the gun and the outside world. Car trunk, locked tool box on a pickup, locked gun case in an SUV, or locked case on the front seat of your car are all legal. It doesn't matter where you have the magazines if they are unloaded. It doesn't matter where you have the loaded magazines as long as one isn't *in* the gun.

IANAL, YMMV.

motorhead
01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
one dozen loaded 30's (preban, of course)=really friggin heavy! i always have to suppress a giggle when someone wants a chest rig that holds a dozen 30's. strippers and a guide speed up reloads at the range.

HellnBack
01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
[/B]You can keep the mags, LOADED or UNLOADED, in the same container as the pistols AS LONG AS there is not a LOADED mag IN the pistol.

Extracted/Reducted copy from the CHP web site:

FAQ= I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

ANS.California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

HTH

Python2
01-09-2011, 12:32 PM
[/B]

Extracted/Reducted copy from the CHP web site:

FAQ= I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

ANS.California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

HTH

Umnnn....what is the point of this post? Uyoga and yours is in agreement. Did I missed something here or you missed the bolded part?

HellnBack
01-09-2011, 1:13 PM
Thank you for calling out Bro!! Its just an affrirmation/confirmation of what Bro uyoga had posted. To make the point stronger. I should have made my self more clear.
Salamat Bro! See you in ProGun Pinoy.

Liberty1
01-09-2011, 2:24 PM
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12020-12040

12027 (f) PC - Unlocked transport (to/from) is lawful for members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting on established public or private ranges. 12025 does not apply.

Navy_Matt
01-09-2011, 4:41 PM
New guy here... This thread has really opened my eyes to CA crazy laws, and would have put me in a predicament when I go to pick up my first handgun on Thursday. I did my research and am the proud owner of an H&K USP 40 (full size), which comes with a cable lock and an "unlockable" plastic case. I drive an SUV without a "lockable" trunk. So, to pick up the firearm, I had to purchase a lockable case (I went with Pelican) this past week so that I could be 100% in compliance with the law for the short drive home. I have a BARSKA safe at home, but never would have thought that having my brand-new H&K in it's supplied case, locked with the cable lock would be not-in-concurrence with the law. Luckily, I'm active duty and won't have to live here forever. I feel for the rest of you....

CaliforniaLiberal
01-09-2011, 5:03 PM
Welcome to CalGuns Navy Matt!

If you think this stuff is crazy, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Have you heard the story of the Bullet Button?

Python2
01-09-2011, 5:11 PM
Thank you for calling out Bro!! Its just an affrirmation/confirmation of what Bro uyoga had posted. To make the point stronger. I should have made my self more clear.
Salamat Bro! See you in ProGun Pinoy.
No problem kapatid, I just thought I was missing something. Better to clarify than be sorry.

ALSystems
01-10-2011, 7:50 AM
one dozen loaded 30's (preban, of course)=really friggin heavy! i always have to suppress a giggle when someone wants a chest rig that holds a dozen 30's. strippers and a guide speed up reloads at the range.
No, those chest rigs are for hunters who can't aim so they need to carry a lot of bullets instead. :rolleyes:

akoba
01-10-2011, 8:09 AM
This is the one thing i like in Calgun. They still answer the same question again and again. This really helps us a lot who (like a review on whatts legal and whats not) think california gun law is confusing.

Thank You calguns. :)

stomper4x4
01-10-2011, 8:42 AM
Check this out....

I was watching that new CA. Fish and Game program on the national geographic channel this morning. It's basically COPS for game wardens.

They stopped a vehicle and the driver admitted to having a hand gun. The Warden stated that "In California the magazine is considered part of the gun, therefore the gun is considered loaded if you have rounds in the magazine, and the mag is in the glove box and the gun itself is in the trunk."

That's as word for word as I could get. Nice huh?

Fish
01-10-2011, 2:25 PM
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12020-12040

12027 (f) PC - Unlocked transport (to/from) is lawful for members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting on established public or private ranges. 12025 does not apply.

Hmm, I didn't know that.

... but you have to be a member of a club or organization. Just going to the local range as a random customer does not count -- unless there's some case law or something I don't know about?

MudCamper
01-10-2011, 2:28 PM
Check this out....

I was watching that new CA. Fish and Game program on the national geographic channel this morning. It's basically COPS for game wardens.

They stopped a vehicle and the driver admitted to having a hand gun. The Warden stated that "In California the magazine is considered part of the gun, therefore the gun is considered loaded if you have rounds in the magazine, and the mag is in the glove box and the gun itself is in the trunk."

That's as word for word as I could get. Nice huh?

This was discussed in detail in the thread Injustice on Nat Geo's "Wild Justice" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=374053).

rockdogz
01-10-2011, 2:32 PM
Hmm, I didn't know that.

... but you have to be a member of a club or organization. Just going to the local range as a random customer does not count -- unless there's some case law or something I don't know about?

Wait a minute... so unloaded guns in an unlocked range bag taken from a locked trunk into the shooting range is a no-no??

stomper4x4
01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
This was discussed in detail in the thread Injustice on Nat Geo's "Wild Justice" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=374053).

Whoops sorry bout that. :cool2:

Anchors
01-14-2011, 2:51 AM
Wait a minute... so unloaded guns in an unlocked range bag taken from a locked trunk into the shooting range is a no-no??

For handguns...
Technically, yes.
Being in the bag is concealed if it is unlocked, even if unloaded.
If the bag is locked it is fine.
Long guns are fine unlocked/unloaded (not considering the unenforced/unenforceable GFSZ).

*EDIT*
But to be honest, I always take them all out of a big locked container (such as a trunk) in their unlocked cases into the range.
I am on private property at that point, though it is a "public place" (like your front yard if you don't have fence) it is also a place were people legally carry and discharge firearms so I am not worried.