PDA

View Full Version : How to find out what you gun can handle?

Jubba
01-02-2011, 7:40 AM
Not quite sure where to look or what to specifically search for to figure out if one of my guns can handle a specific load, or if it'll handle all different types, as long as it's in the same caliber.

I'm mainly looking at the Llama Comanche III .357 Magnum, making sure it can handle the .357 Bear Loads before I put any through it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM3160-1.html

Probably a stupid question, and the answer will be something along the lines of it's a .357, it can handle .357 loads. But I just want to make absolute sure.

Thanks in advance,
Jubba

jdg30
01-02-2011, 7:54 AM
If your gun is marked ".357 magnum" then it should be fine with those cartridges. They're just called Bear loads because the 180gr bullet is on the heavier side compared to other .357 bullets.

RedFord150
01-02-2011, 8:26 AM
The Ruger GP100 is probably the toughest .357 mag on the market. It will fire just about anything. If you have doubts about the Llama, you may want to consider the GP100 instead.

Davidoff
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
The international organization that sets standards for firearms and ammunition is called SAAMI. SAAMI specifies the max pressure for a particular caliber, and manufacturers will generally meet or exceed these specs when designing a firearm for that caliber and when creating a new loading of that caliber.

Therefore, as long as Llama is doing their job, any SAAMI spec .357mag round should be safe to fire in your revolver. For more detail you can contact the ammo manufacturer, they should be able to provide more information.

Jubba
01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you for the information. ^_^

B Strong
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Not quite sure where to look or what to specifically search for to figure out if one of my guns can handle a specific load, or if it'll handle all different types, as long as it's in the same caliber.

I'm mainly looking at the Llama Comanche III .357 Magnum, making sure it can handle the .357 Bear Loads before I put any through it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM3160-1.html

Probably a stupid question, and the answer will be something along the lines of it's a .357, it can handle .357 loads. But I just want to make absolute sure.

Thanks in advance,
Jubba

The 'Lama can take it, but has zero resale value and doesn't have a very well established servie life.

Better a used 'Smith, a Ruger, or if you really want a strong .357, the Ruger Blackhawk - the BH may be your best bet as you can find used examples for a price comparable to the 'Lama.