PDA

View Full Version : Sprint EVO

Papa "J"
01-02-2011, 5:59 AM
Well I stopped service with ATT because my Iphone was very slow, dropping calls, ect. Maybe because it was just the 3G and over 2 years old. I would clear it out as much as possible and that didn't seem to help much.

I went wiht Sprint and got the EVO 1st and foremost the $$$ savings. I was paying $129 for unlimited usage and with a business plan it's only $89 with sprint. Also I like and will try out the hotspot feature for my laptop which in $29 per month, over my cricket broadband card of $45. Mainly need it for credit card processing anyway. So saving $55 per month savings

Can anyone make any recommendations on features of the phone. Still got a big learning curve on using it.

Anyone else using the EVO over the Iphone and what do you think? I have 30 days to try it out.

Dr Rockso
01-02-2011, 6:20 AM
I've had mine for about 3 months now, overall very happy with it. The mobile hotspot feature is nice if you need to tether multiple devices, but if you just want to connect a single device via USB or Bluetooth it's unnecessary...you can use an app like PDANet to do essentially the same thing without a monthly fee (and because of battery drain, it makes more sense to tether via USB for extended periods since the laptop will keep the phone charged up). The 4G network is still pretty sparse in most areas, and leaving the 4G radio on constantly tends to drain the battery, so I usually have that feature off unless I'm using it. Overall I think the iPhone still wins on a purely device comparison (I'm a fan of most Apple products), but with the expense and features available in the ATT plans vs. what's available from Sprint for less money I think the EVO is a much better value.

trapshot68
01-02-2011, 6:48 AM
^ my thoughts pretty much mirror the above. I don't do the device tethering, but amount of data I use on the phone makes me glad I'm not on AT&T (new users have that data limit and pay for more; Sprint still is unlimited).

4g is limited, and still, you'll have to pay the $10 premium data fee (they say it's not so much for 4g, but to be really unlimited......)

Only a couple of things about the Evo:
- not as many accessories as the iphone
- not a fan of the battery life. It's a real drainer, and I have chargers stashed out over the place.

Best thing: get it, try it for a few weeks, and if you don't like, cancel.

Outta Control
01-02-2011, 7:14 AM
I'm lucky enough to have gotten a grandfathered plan. I only pay $30/mo for 500 minutes and unlimited Data w/ 4G, if available. All in all I think AT&T is getting a lot of iPhone users upset, from what I heard, because there are too many user clogging up their network with data request that is why AT&T has dropped to #4 on the top carrier.

norcal-ar
01-02-2011, 8:19 AM
pretty happy with mine so far had it since oct. i upgraded to the 2000mah battery and like it a lot so far. the best app ive found so far is music junk its free and so is the music you can down load.

brassburnz
01-02-2011, 8:28 AM
I'm lucky enough to have gotten a grandfathered plan. I only pay $30/mo for 500 minutes and unlimited Data w/ 4G, if available. All in all I think AT&T is getting a lot of iPhone users upset, from what I heard, because there are too many user clogging up their network with data request that is why AT&T has dropped to #4 on the top carrier.

I had a Sprint phone on a business plan. I don't have the business anymore. When I tried to upgrade to a pair of Blackberry phones on a family plan, the guys at the store said they couldn't do it. Dang.

CSACANNONEER
01-02-2011, 8:34 AM
I've had mine for about 3 months now, overall very happy with it. The mobile hotspot feature is nice if you need to tether multiple devices, but if you just want to connect a single device via USB or Bluetooth it's unnecessary...you can use an app like PDANet to do essentially the same thing without a monthly fee (and because of battery drain, it makes more sense to tether via USB for extended periods since the laptop will keep the phone charged up). The 4G network is still pretty sparse in most areas, and leaving the 4G radio on constantly tends to drain the battery, so I usually have that feature off unless I'm using it. Overall I think the iPhone still wins on a purely device comparison (I'm a fan of most Apple products), but with the expense and features available in the ATT plans vs. what's available from Sprint for less money I think the EVO is a much better value.

I'm probably going to get an evo in the next week or two. Can someone explain this tethering thing to me. What needs to be done. I'm just looking at dropping my wireless hub and still being able to access the internet from one laptop. So, this sounds like a great way to save $360/year.

bombadillo
01-02-2011, 8:57 AM
Love my Evo. I would bypass paying the 30 smackers a month for hotspot when there are programs out there to do the same thing for free. Its a powerful phone with a lot of support right now and android is killing everything else to boot. Lots of games, lots of programs that are pretty functional, navigation on this thing is killer, google apps and google maps for navigation are pretty rockin. Street view when you are near your destination turns on and you can see the building you're trying to find. Mine has been nothing but perfect as a phone goes.

BALDANDTOPLESS
01-02-2011, 9:05 AM
I'm probably going to get an evo in the next week or two. Can someone explain this tethering thing to me. What needs to be done. I'm just looking at dropping my wireless hub and still being able to access the internet from one laptop. So, this sounds like a great way to save $360/year.

tethering is basically piggybacking onto your phones wireless data service.

sprint hotspot is a feature that is available for $30 extra that enables it to supply data/internet wirelessly to multiple devices.

There are wired tether options like PDANet, that allows you to turn your phone into a modem connected via USB. Upside is you only pay a one-time fee, usually $20 or less depending on the app you choose. But you are limited to using it only on one device, wired via usb to your phone.

remember that you cannot use your phone to call at the same time you are tethering, either way. unless you use a voip service like google voice or skype.

you can also root/unlock your android phones to turn on the hotspot feature for free, but this is at your own risk. Although like all platforms there is a slight learning curve, its quite easy to accomplish. read up on forums like xdadevelopers for more info.

personally 4g is still too spotty to drop my cable modem/home wifi. The technology is moving quick though. depending on where you live 3g service can do 1-3mbps on its own, so that may be enough for some of you.

megavolt121
01-02-2011, 3:05 PM
Root your Evo, then you can have a free hotspot.

In terms of apps, I recommend My Lookout, Angy Birds, Astro File Explorer, and of course google maps

Papa "J"
01-02-2011, 3:08 PM
what do you mean by this:

Root your Evo

megavolt121
01-02-2011, 3:36 PM
what do you mean by this:

Root your Evo

Root means giving yourself super user permissions. I will warn taht this will probably void your warranty, however, many people have reported that even though they've rooted their phone, sprint still takes them back when they break.

http://www.androidcentral.com/unrevoked-more-simpler-way-root-your-evo

Dan-0-
01-02-2011, 3:48 PM
I got on board with the EVO a while ago, and it's a pretty good phone. It's got some quirks, but which phone doesn't. Battery upgrade is a must, but the case is different (thicker).
There is a discount that Sprint gave me to maintain my Cell card with them, when I threatened to cancel.
I now pay $29 per month with a 4g cell card unlimited bandwidth.
Get a screen protector installed before you leave the store and one of those silicone cases.

One thing I should mention is that my EVO phone was actually dropped while on a call into a bathtub full of water, sunk right to the bottom. The call dropped and the phone reverted to playing the last MP3 I had been listening to. It was still playing when I pulled it out. I shut it down, pulled it apart, and very little water had penetrated the case that I could see. I dried it off all night and in the morning it was working flawlessly and hasn't missed a beat in over a month and a half.

audiophil2
01-02-2011, 4:12 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Evo and the Samsung Epic. So far it looks like Evo is better.