PDA

View Full Version : Keeping old hi cap parts

santacruzstefan
01-02-2011, 3:37 AM
I have some older magazines my father gave me before the ban, and I'm wondering... if I repair them using newer mags, do I need to keep the old parts in order to prove that I once had magazines that were pre-ban? This is especially concerning a repair from a USGI to, say, a PMag, or other magazines that didn't exist in 2000. Apologies if this has been covered before; I checked the wiki and it didn't get this specific.

Exile Machine
01-02-2011, 7:24 AM
No need to keep the old parts.
BTW, Here's the granddaddy of all high-cap magazine threads. Very long thread but worth a look. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

-Mark

IllTemperedCur
01-02-2011, 8:13 AM
If they have visible date codes, you may want to put those out on gunbroker. Some states with normal-cap magazine bans allow them if they are manufactured before the ban date. Jay G at stuckinmassachusetts is always talking about acquiring pre-ban manufactured AR mags.

Put 'em out there to help a gunnie in another non-free state!

jtmkinsd
01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
If they have visible date codes, you may want to put those out on gunbroker. Some states with normal-cap magazine bans allow them if they are manufactured before the ban date. Jay G at stuckinmassachusetts is always talking about acquiring pre-ban manufactured AR mags.

Put 'em out there to help a gunnie in another non-free state!

Why? It is NOT illegal for me to possess/use a magazine with a date on it...even if that date is yesterday.

B Strong
01-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Why? It is NOT illegal for me to possess/use a magazine with a date on it...even if that date is yesterday.

Other states have different laws.

GearHead
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM

That's not the case in every state, is the point. He was saying fix your mags and put the old ones for sale on GB

jtmkinsd
01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Ah...my bad :o

IllTemperedCur
01-02-2011, 4:26 PM
No worries jtmkinsd. Should have made it clearer.

Cokebottle
01-02-2011, 4:33 PM
Ya, several other states that still have AW and high cap bans follow the Clinton AW ban.
Manufacture of NEW high caps for civilian use was prohibited, but the possession, use, and transfer of pre-ban mags was not restricted.

So in a "free" state under the Federal AW ban, it would still be legal for a gun shop to sell you a 1993 USGI magazine.

And this is still the case in some states.

Now, the problem for the OP's "customer" is that he would be shipping the parts kit to the customer. I'm not sure if the customer's subsequent rebuild would be considered "manufactured" or not.