PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 80 DL - how to field strip it?

Rogerbutthead
01-01-2011, 9:10 PM
My uncle told me he had an old M1 Garand from a relative that was kept in the garage.

I volunteered to clean it as I told him keeping it wrapped in a cloth would attract moisture and lead to rust.

He brought the rifle over and far from being a Garand it was a Marlin 80 DL in 22 cal S-L-LR.

I have looked over the Bolt Action Rifle book by de Haas and the NRA takedown book I have and neither have any info on this rifle.

The internet seemed remarkably void of info too.

Perhaps my Googlefu is weak today, can anyone give me some info on this rifle before I try to take it apart?

Thanks.

Rogerbutthead
01-01-2011, 9:54 PM
Answered my own question.

Examined it, found the bolt came out when you had the trigger pulled back.

Receiver and barrel come up with the removal of the two screws around the magazine.

Magazine has the release latch on it.

Trigger guard is screwed into the stock, not the receiver.

Slight rust on the Weaver 66 scope, seemed to rub off. Slight rust on the front sight, oiled it.

Rifle was made from the 40's to the late 60's, no serial numbers on it.

Kinda disappointed that no takedown info is on the internet.

A rifle worth maybe 100 bucks. He won't be happy with what I tell him.

Nite100
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I have an old model 80 made by JC Higgins. It's probably my favorite 22 rifle. Very accurate. Extra mags are still available.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Marlin_22_LR_Bolt_Action_Magazin e&i=402898&merchID=4004&r=view

dangerranger
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Mine is the glenfield model [ birch stock] it shoots honest 1/2" groups. in the 80s I paid $40 for it. I wouldnt take $150 for it now.

bohoki
01-08-2011, 2:31 PM
i too have one it has dispatched many snakes and rats

i dont like killing the snakes but my dogs are doofuses and i dont want them struck on the nose by a rattler

i have one spare magazine

both have metal followers ive seen the same magazine around but with a red plastic follower