PDA

View Full Version : STEEL brass

NYY
01-01-2011, 6:32 PM
Same day bought my Mosin, wanted to look at some 7.62x54r.. aaand they were STEEL. ME NO LIKE. your take? ya cheaper, but heard it gums up the receiver

Bigtwin
01-01-2011, 6:47 PM
These rifles were designed to use steel cased ammo. No it does not gum the reciever.

NYY
01-01-2011, 6:53 PM
Interesting

cmaher55
01-01-2011, 7:04 PM
I've been shooting laquered steel 7.62 x 39 cases in my AKM for over 20 years now. It is a little more hard to clean in the chamber area as the laquer flakes off and gums up a little bit but it is really not a problem. Lately I have switched over to the "Silver Bear" soft point stuff which is nickel plated with no laquer and I like it much better. It's slightly more expensive than the laquered steel ammo but well worth it. For my Mosins I have been using Silver Bear 7.62 x 54R in 203 grain but I can't find any of that cheap enough so I just bought some of the regular laquered cased stuff in soft point about 20 minutes ago online.... Wideners, $6.00 a box of 20 which is not bad at all. Regards

Turo
01-01-2011, 7:06 PM
Steel doesn't gum up the receiver. Some steel cased ammo has a lacquer coating on it that can possibly cause fte in semi autos. Your Mosin was designed to use steel cased ammo, run as much of that stuff through there as you want, unless you want to spend almost a dollar per round for no reason.

Remember, that steel used in those cases is almost as soft as most brass, so there's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

comblock
01-01-2011, 8:21 PM
Just bring a mallet out to the range once your bolt becomes sticky.

ElvenSoul
01-01-2011, 8:25 PM
Steel Case Ammo has it's place...just not in my weapons!

Bigtwin
01-01-2011, 8:38 PM
Just bring a mallet out to the range once your bolt becomes sticky.

Or you could give it a proper cleaning and avoid that problem!:rolleyes:

Spiggy
01-01-2011, 8:47 PM
^ +1, a properly cleaned and set mosin should not stick or bind, nore should the ammunition stack and jam during loading and unloading from the magazine.

Cowboy T
01-01-2011, 9:59 PM
Or you could give it a proper cleaning and avoid that problem!:rolleyes:

^^^ This!

Flyin Brian
01-01-2011, 10:35 PM
These rifles were designed to use steel cased ammo.

Your Mosin was designed to use steel cased ammo,

Do either of you have a source for this info? According to the 7.62x54r.net website, steel cased ammo did not appear until 1934:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm

CaliB&R
01-02-2011, 7:47 AM
Do either of you have a source for this info? According to the 7.62x54r.net website, steel cased ammo did not appear until 1934:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm

If I am reading that page correct, copper washed steel cases appeared in 1934, prior to that they were just steel. But I know little about Mosin Nagants, so I could be wrong.

Noonanda
01-02-2011, 8:11 AM
The laquer does not Gum up the reciever. What happens is the Steel cases do not contract like brass ones do so extraction is harder. Hell this happens with copper washed cases as well. if you think the Laquer is gumming up your rifle take a casing and hold it to a flame. does the laquer get all gummy when heat is applied? I'll bet it doesnt. Causes for sticky bolt syndrome are Cosmo in the chamber/lugs, or Steel cased ammo not contracting. Now if you have both at the same time thats when you hear of people talking about using a rubber mallet or piece of wood to open their bolt

Milsurps
01-02-2011, 8:19 AM
Steel doesn't gum up the receiver. Some steel cased ammo has a lacquer coating on it that can possibly cause fte in semi autos. Your Mosin was designed to use steel cased ammo, run as much of that stuff through there as you want, unless you want to spend almost a dollar per round for no reason.

Remember, that steel used in those cases is almost as soft as most brass, so there's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

^^^ This.
I use Silverbear, Zinc plated, not Lacquer coated steel ammo, when not shooting Milsurp. ammo. The Lacquer melts and makes a mess in both simi-autos and MN's.

Alex$
01-02-2011, 8:21 AM
Cosmoline and laquer together in the chamber plus heat will make a sticky mess. If you can shoot cold bore and you have problems, then after 5-10 rounds your bolt is sticking you have a problem. Clean the chamber area and locking lugs well, the sticking will go away. (stay away from lapping/polishing/grit compounds, brass brush and drill is all you need)

Originally brass was the material for cases, '34-'35 this changed as steel was cheaper.

Shoot the steel, it's cheaper and more available in quantity and will not harm your rifle as it is a mild steel.

morrcarr67
01-02-2011, 8:28 AM
I've shot almost all of the European ammo; Tula, S&B, Fiocchi, Brown & Silver Bear, Polish Surplus, Yugo Surplus, Egyptian Surplus, surplus that I have idea where it came from. I'm still here and so are my guns. Get what ever you want for plinking but make sure you get good quality for HD.

:jump:

Bhobbs
01-03-2011, 8:40 AM
My Big 5 M44 had a problem with a sticky bolt so I cleaned the hell out of it and got all the cosmo out and now the bolt is smooth and easy to cycle. I use mostly copper washed steel case but that's because it is what I can find. I have used the laquer coated steel and have had no problems.

Lucky Scott
01-03-2011, 8:43 AM
My Mosins eat anything............

rojocorsa
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/eliminatesbs/index.asp

A clean Mosin will eat anything.

Seriously.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-03-2011, 2:06 PM
Mine operate much more smoothly with brass than with steel. Will they "eat" steel? Yeah...

...but brass is better.

Bigtwin
01-03-2011, 6:29 PM
My expierence with my Mosins, brass(true brass),copper washed, laquer coated, or Zinc does not matter after I cleaned it thourogh! No need for the mallet or 2x4!
YMMV!