PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Purchase Questions

ckprax
01-01-2011, 4:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

I understand that similar questions comes up a lot. I have searched the forum and have not been able to find an answer.

I am looking to purchase a 4" blue gp100 from the consignment section at my local gun shop. This will be my first gun purchase (all of my guns have come from my father). I understand that I will need my (current) CA DL and a POR to satisfy the CA and federal requirements.

My understanding is that most people use the DL and car registration. I have both and the addresses match on the physical documents. The issue is that the address is my parents home, not my current address.

I have changed my address with the DMV and received the brown card. It appears that the brown card is not accepted by most FFLs because it could easily be faked. I do not have any other government issued documents with issued or expiration dates.

What other documents would be acceptable? All of the utilities are in my name and I am sure I can dig up my lease agreement. I would rather not change my registration because then I will have to deal with smog checks and such.

Should I just show my DL and registration? Will the change of address cause an issue during the DROS? Since this purchase will be from consignment, is it treated as a PPT, not count as my 1 in 30 days?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bear
01-01-2011, 5:23 PM
If your DL and the Registration Address match, you are good to go. Or a DL and a utility bill with the same address. The paperwork just has to match. You need the Handgun Safety Certificate thing too, but you can take the test at the dealer.

A PPT does NOT count in the 30 day purchase restriction. Cool, huh?

ckprax
01-01-2011, 5:35 PM
bear,

Thanks for the quick response. I already have a HSC. I picked it several weeks ago.

So to clarify, the consignment sale counts as a PPT? I am looking at getting a 1911 in the near future as well :) I am so glad to be out of the poor college kid phase of my life and finally into the "real world" where I have some disposable $$.

Fishslayer
01-01-2011, 5:48 PM
I am so glad to be out of the poor college kid phase of my life and finally into the "real world" where I have some disposable $$.

Trust me, accumulating firearms will fix that disposable income thing pretty quickly...;)

BillCA
01-01-2011, 6:08 PM
Best bet is to bring a utility bill that matches your change-of-address on your D/L and bring your car registration in that matches the address printed on you D/L by DMV. That way you're covered. ;)

BillCA
01-01-2011, 6:10 PM
bear,

Thanks for the quick response. I already have a HSC. I picked it several weeks ago.

So to clarify, the consignment sale counts as a PPT? I am looking at getting a 1911 in the near future as well :) I am so glad to be out of the poor college kid phase of my life and finally into the "real world" where I have some disposable $$.

The one-gun-a-month limitation excludes PPT's and consignment guns at dealers. You can buy one new gun this week and buy a five consignment guns during the new gun's waiting period... if you have the funds.