PDA

View Full Version : "Top 10 Squirrels from 2010" video

capitol
01-01-2011, 5:27 PM
Im not a pro and I dont have a "how to video" but I do have a "Top 10 Squirrels from 2010" video I would like to share :D

I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I had shooting it:43:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJb2zIvNPNw

center_x
01-01-2011, 5:40 PM
Cool video. That was neat seeing the vapor trail on squirrels 8 & 4 during the slow mo's. Thanks for sharing.

ZirconJohn
01-01-2011, 5:48 PM
Very cool VID...

#3 my FAV... just love the vapor trail on that shot.

faveson
01-01-2011, 6:18 PM
looks like N. Cal to me. is it?

thinking bout surprise valley myself this summer.
tks for the vid :2guns:

capitol
01-01-2011, 8:35 PM
Check this one for bullet trail...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1odhvqX3c

spectr17
01-01-2011, 8:38 PM
"We have lift off" :D

I luv shootin them lil pests. You get the hate mail for the videos too? What kind of rifle?

mif_slim
01-01-2011, 8:46 PM
I dont think for the keyword or search should have "pet" PITA is going to jump you. Lol.

For us hunter, Great work!

capitol
01-01-2011, 8:59 PM
I dont think for the keyword or search should have "pet" PITA is going to jump you. Lol.

:rolleyes: :gunsmilie: bring it...

Oh Im using a 204 AR15 and those long shots are from a R-25 .243. All bullets are near 4000 fps. All fun and red mist

sarge1572
01-01-2011, 8:59 PM
HA!! 10 GOOD squirrels!!!!

What were you shooting them with? On slow mo it sounds like my dog sleeping after a plate of beans and squirrels!!!!

HA! We have lift off. SQUIRRELS FROM SPACE!!!!!

trautert
01-01-2011, 9:00 PM
My shooting buddy and I love busting ground squirrels in pastures outside Stockton (around Linden, mostly) with our .17 HMR Savages. :)

tenpercentfirearms
01-01-2011, 9:03 PM
I too liked #3.

However, you are shooting right towards some buildings in #10. Yeah I know that the bullet is going to break up and not go very far, but it still seems risky.

capitol
01-01-2011, 9:09 PM
I too liked #3.

However, you are shooting right towards some buildings in #10. Yeah I know that the bullet is going to break up and not go very far, but it still seems risky.

I know mom and I'll shoot my eye out. geez Wes really?

edgerly779
01-02-2011, 8:03 AM
Great footage did you know that peta stands for (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I HAD A MAGNETIC SIGN THAT SAID THAT ON MY TAILGATE AND SOMEONE STOLE IT WHILE PARKED IN BEVERLY HILLS AT CITY HALL. BIG SURPRISE.

tenpercentfirearms
01-02-2011, 9:30 AM
I know mom and I'll shoot my eye out. geez Wes really?

Really. If I were shooting towards buildings, I wouldn't post it up on the Internet. Better yet, I would try not to shoot towards buildings.

Rule # 4 - Be absolutely sure of your target, and what is behind it [beyond]

If that were my house/barn out there, I probably wouldn't have liked to have seen the video either. If you want to stand on the other side of the squirrel, then you might poke out your eye. However, that is someone else's eye you are poking out when you are behind the rifle and the camera.

Now if they are your buildings and you know no one was over there, then no big deal. Your property, your decision.

Sorry if I ruined your fun with safety concerns. That darn firearms safety seems to get in the way of anything fun. :rolleyes:

Falstaff
01-02-2011, 4:25 PM
I forgot how much fun squirrel huntin' is. I WISh I had video of this but all I can do is relate it, I used to hunt them in feed corn fields. At the intersection of 4 fields (sugar beets, feed corn and barley) there would be a section where the dirt pile up like a berm between fields on the fence lines basically. Anyway, thats where all their dens/holes were. So, the trick was to creep up on their dens while they were all out in the field macking down on the feed corn. And believe me, these lil bahstads can wipe out alotta corn! OK so once we'd get to the center, someone would fire a shot and I crap you not, it sounded like some sort of horror movie (children of the corn??) the whole field would start russling like an invisible breeze as the little guys would haul *** back to their holes en masse, within a couple seconds you'd have several score squirrels running straight at you lookin' like some sorta squirrel jihad, some of them carrying corn cobs in their mouths... Then we'd open up on them. Shotguns were very effective, sometimes you'd two 'fer every shot with #8.

The other fun thing was getting them long range (well long range for us then was 200 yards or so) with .22lr. Squirrels are very curious by nature, so you could fire a shot, miss them, they'd dive under ground for while, but they just HAVE to come back up and try see WTF that was that just went by them! I got to where after a couple shots I'd be dialed in and could lob one right where the they'd stand up. A couple times I fired before they popped up so the bullet impacted just as they emerged...

And to nip the inevitable PETA whiners in the bud, This was a FAR more humane way to control them BTW because the alternative was what we called "blue sunflower seeds". THe farmers would just poison them and it wasnt pretty how they died, slow and agonizing.

capitol
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
typical richard. always been and always will be

tenpercentfirearms
01-03-2011, 6:20 AM
typical richard. always been and always will be

So clever.

Don't post videos shooting towards buildings and then you wouldn't have to worry about it. It was #10. You could have picked any other one. You picked the one shooting towards buildings. Did you think no one was going to notice or say anything?

It just happened to be your favorite guy.

Spyder
01-03-2011, 8:00 AM
Hehehe, I take it there's history between you two?

taperxz
01-03-2011, 9:40 AM
Since you did put that vid on u tube i have to agree with tenpercent. Safety should not be taken lightly. You really did put YOUR fun before safety.

Now if that is your barn, it would be a good idea to let others know that it is yours and you know there is no one in it or it is an unused building.

Besides that, cool vid!

Eat Dirt
01-03-2011, 9:46 AM
Great shots..........

Myself And my wife enjoyed it complety !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those squirrels were all over the place ..........................:cool:

center_x
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow! Yet another thread crapped on. Ten%, everyone seems to know you and respect you, but im new to CG's and I don't. Seems like you have nothing better to do than post negative comments on threads. I don't get it. Guess you can't let somethings be. Maybe go to a different form and crap,while others enjoy CG's.

Op, thank you for taking the time to post your video. Please don't let any richards ruin your time spent.

tenpercentfirearms
01-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Op, thank you for taking the time to post your video. Please don't let any richards ruin your time spent.

Or dangerous backdrops. They shouldn't ruin your fun either! :rolleyes:

Sorry, if you post a video of questionable shooting practices, someone needs to mention it. I would expect the same from you if it were my video.

It reminds me of shooting from this big hill down at some water ponds. I didn't think it was a big deal. Then I just happened to get a hold of some tracers in my youth when I didn't realize they were illegal. Every single one of those things bounced off the pond and headed out into the valley where I couldn't account for the bullets. I haven't shot there since despite it being a heck of a good time.

I'll drop it at that. Hopefully we all learn a lesson about what is beyond our target, even if it is uncomfortable. It is better than learning after killing someone.

SupportGeek
01-04-2011, 9:30 AM
Wow! Yet another thread crapped on. Ten%, everyone seems to know you and respect you, but im new to CG's and I don't. Seems like you have nothing better to do than post negative comments on threads. I don't get it. Guess you can't let somethings be. Maybe go to a different form and crap,while others enjoy CG's.

Sorry, but TenPercent is spot on with his comment.
Safety is not a "negative" comment, nor should it ever be looked at as such, the gun/hunting community already has an image problem to the general public, and its always an uphill battle to keep our rights (It shouldn't be) but creating posts like yours with the tone that its OK to have a cavalier attitude about being unsafe with firearms only serves to tarnish that image further.
This site in general promotes the ideas of safe (and legal) firearms usage, if you cannot handle that, perhaps it is YOU who needs to go to a different forum.

center_x
01-04-2011, 3:37 PM
Geek, prob not. Thanks! Let me know when reality hits you when you step away from the computer.
It just amazes me how easy people get their feathers ruffled.
Think maybe the camera angle distorts the view of the actual bullet path or capital was told nobody would be in those buildings? Think there is a possibility they are abandoned? Prob not! It was only assumed and now capital's thread has been crapped on due to these assumptions.
I know ten% just went coyote hunting with his dad. I bet he had a blast and I know he was was 100% safe, but there can be assumptions of questionable safety practicies during the hunt if you look for them. Yet ten% knows that his father and him were safe during the entire hunt. Im just tired of the typical crapping on the what ifs.

Exile Machine
01-04-2011, 5:29 PM
Details on the caliber and rifle?

center_x
01-04-2011, 5:34 PM
.204 & .243

capitol
01-04-2011, 8:54 PM
Details on the caliber and rifle?

Oh Im using a 204 AR15 shooting 32gr vmax bullets and those long shots are from a R-25 .243 shooting 55gr nbt's. All bullets are near 4000 fps. All fun and red mist

The .204 with light fast bullets gets those high flyers with body parts going different directions out to 250-300 yards. The 243 with a light bullets gets you more red misting on squirrels even out to 500 yards. The closest I ever shot a squirrel with my 243 was about 20 yards out, not much left other then lil red chunks all over the place and 25 feet away from original contact :D

center x I appreciate you not assuming the unknown. Just to make it clear my shooting direction isn't the same direction the camera is pointing in the squirrel video. Im actually shooting straight down the field, but I can see how it looks like I'm shooting towards the building from the cameras point of view.

kahai808
01-05-2011, 1:25 PM
Man that looks like alot of fun!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-05-2011, 3:05 PM
Very nice.

Big Jake
01-05-2011, 4:35 PM
I wonder if the squirrels can do the Macahrana lol? :mnl:

spectr17
01-05-2011, 9:51 PM
I wonder if the squirrels can do the Macahrana lol? :mnl: