PDA

View Full Version : Ruger questions, SP VS GP, etc

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
When window shopping at Ruger revolvers, I see the common models are GP and SP, and don't really know the difference.

How do they compare in size to the S&W models? K frame, J frame, etc.

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Are they as heavy as they look? Heavier is better in my book for HD since usually there is less recoil.

Reliabilty? Recently had an issue with a Single Six locking up that worries be on any Ruger revolver now.

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Why one of these over an equally priced S&W or older Colt revolver?

Seems like used prices of these GP and SP series revolvers are asked at the same price levels as the S&W and older Colts although they don't seem to sell quite as fast..

yoteassasin
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
the gp is the medium frame the sp just a bit smaller and the redhawk and super redhawk being large and XL i have 4 ruger revolvers and 3 dan wessons I love the rugers for their weight and strength the metalugy is much higher quality in rugers vs smiths, i can reload my 45lc close to 454 preformance and not be worried but 44 mag smith frames stretch with factory loads.... the rugers turn counter clockwise so you will have to get used to that and the trigger is not as nice as most smith triggers ruger makes great revolvers you wont regret it

yoteassasin
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
if you can find a colt in 357 for the same price as a gp100 BUY it iether the colt is too cheap or the gp is too expensive

Legasat
01-01-2011, 1:02 PM
I don't think you can buy a better revolver for the money anywhere like a Ruger.

Smith's are nice too, but more money.

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 1:06 PM
I love the rugers for their weight and strength the metalugy is much higher quality in rugers vs smiths

The weight is more or less than the others?

The metallurgy is what I was wondering about as I understand the Rugers to be some sort of casting.

But I was also thinking the casting process may make a heavier gun, and possibly have less recoil...

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 1:11 PM
if you can find a colt in 357 for the same price as a gp100 BUY it iether the colt is too cheap or the gp is too expensive

That was what I was thinking. I've seen a couple older Colts in .38 and .357 go for $350 to $400 lately. I know that newer Colts go for twice that and up, just not sure how the older Colts compare to newer Rugers, Smiths, etc.

Seems that the asking price on nwer Rugers is $450 - $550 used whe you can find Smith's, etc. in this range.

I would take a Smith or a Colt over a Ruger if it's just a shooter or collectible, but if the (heavier?) Ruger has less recoil, then it's better for me to have around for my wife to shoot. She is sqeemish with J frames, .40 Glocks, etc, but does shoot an older Rossi with full underlug, and a top lug that I have quite well. Much less recoil with the same round in my S&W 13-2

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 1:13 PM
I don't think you can buy a better revolver for the money anywhere like a Ruger.

I see many older Smiths and older Colts in the same price range...

Andy Taylor
01-01-2011, 1:21 PM
The SP101 would be slightly larger than the S&W J Frame.
The GP100 would be slightly larger than the S&W L Frame.

The SP101 is a 5 shot .357 or a 6 shot .327.
The GP100 is a 6 shot .357, or a 7 shot .327.

Rugers tend to not be as refined as S&Ws or Colts. They do tend to be tougher, and slightly heavier, although neither S&W nor Colt is frail.

To use Ford Motor Company as an analogy-
Ruger= F350 4x4
S&W= Crown Victoria
Colt= Lincoln Continental

robcoe
01-01-2011, 1:23 PM
I see many older Smiths and older Colts in the same price range...

There are only 3 reasons I can think of for that

1. the Smiths and colts are abused

2. Someone doesnt know how much an older smith or colt is worth and is selling them cheap

3. Your local gun store is charging to much for a ruger revolver(they should be in the $500 range for the blued models, $550 or so for the Stainless)

If I could get one at the same price, I would get a Smith or Colt for the extra refinement in the produciton of the gun. But just for a day to day shooter a GP100 or SP101 is a great gun(the weight of my GP100 makes a .38sp round feel like a .22lr), and good luck breaking it, even if you try to.

INJUNTOM
01-01-2011, 1:36 PM
There are only 3 reasons I can think of for that

1. the Smiths and colts are abused

2. Someone doesnt know how much an older smith or colt is worth and is selling them cheap

3. Your local gun store is charging to much for a ruger revolver(they should be in the $500 range for the blued models, $550 or so for the Stainless)

Not talking gun stores - I'm talking about "Window shopping" the classified ads here on Calguns daily.

But just for a day to day shooter a GP100 or SP101 is a great gun(the weight of my GP100 makes a .38sp round feel like a .22lr), and good luck breaking it, even if you try to.

This is what I'm wondering about ^^

The gun that I own that my wife shoots comfortably in a larger caliber is an older Interarms Rossi that isn't very common. It has a full underlug and an overlug, so it is like you describe "(the weight of my GP100 makes a .38sp round feel like a .22lr)"

I would love to find another Rossi 951 in my area, but it's highly unlikely, and shipping one off Gunbroker may end up costing what a used Ruger may cost or only slightly less.

Fishslayer
01-01-2011, 5:57 PM

Pretty much sums it up. There are always exceptions but they just prove the rule.

As for strength, who cares? A GP100 or an L frame S&W are both stronger than they need to be.
Or get the N frame Smith. Also makes a handy club if ya run outta ammo. ;)

As for me, last month I had a choice of a used GP100 @ $500 or 20+ YO S&W 686 for $600. No question here. Not a thing wrong with the Ruger but S&W for me...

RedFord150
01-02-2011, 8:41 AM
...Reliabilty? Recently had an issue with a Single Six locking up that worries be on any Ruger revolver now.

I have personally never heard of a Ruger Revolver locking up. This is probably a one in a billion event. Send it back to Ruger and let them repair and explain the failure.
I have owned 6 Ruger Revolvers over the last 28 years. I still own 3 of them (2 are GP100's). I have never had a single failure.
I personally prefer the feel of the GP over the SP. Yes, the GP is a big heavy gun.