PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS

XYZ
01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I've searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be much discussion regarding the PPS. I realize it's not on the roster and that may limit the exposure but due to the single shot exemption I'm considering this as a possible purchase.

Any comments regarding this handgun by those that own or have shot one? I realize Walther had some recalls on their other models and I think the PPS is okay.

XYZ
01-03-2011, 10:11 AM
No love for the Walther?

sfguyhere
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
A co-worker and I were seriously considering get one, but for one reason or another (none on the gun's behalf) we never did.

I love my PPK/S and can only imagine the PPS would be as cool.

Bellehood
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
i rented and shot one recently. It was fairly comfortable to shoot, and thats coming from someone with large hands and long fingers. I dislike shooting many single stack handguns, Kahr's, anything really in .380, just because they shake around in my big hands. But the PPS was probably the most comfortable single stack 9mm I have shot (outside of 9mm 1911's). I prefer thick double stacks like Glocks and Sigs.

That being said, I think the PPS is right up there with the Steyr for ugliest gun. I think its ugly as sin, does not look like the P99 at all. If thats an issue for you, then you might want to look elsewhere. I use my guns as tools, I'm not one for chrome finishes or engraving or any of that crap, but I do like my tools to at least look a little bit high speed.

plan-b
01-03-2011, 3:14 PM
Thanks to Valkyrie Arms, I picked up a PPS yesterday. I'm a big fan of Walther handguns. I have a pair of P99s. I doubt that I'll have time to go to the range any time soon but I do have some early impressions though.

The trigger is gritty. Since it uses a pre-cocked striker system, there's a bit more travel before the break and that part is a bit sticky. But I'm betting that it'll wear in over time and that a bit of lubrication can help there. The slide is also a bit sticky. But again, it's a brand new gun. It takes a bit more effort to rack the slide. I'll strip, clean & lube it tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Aesthetically, it's very modern looking. It doesn't look quite as cool as the P99 does but it's still pretty awesome. It has a very chiseled look to it and works well.

jyo
01-03-2011, 7:00 PM
Well, a couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to pick up a PPS 9mm right here on the Calguns for sale site---PPT from someone who moved here from another state. All is well, neat little pistol---a touch larger and heavier then my Kahr CW9, but not much---runs 100%---shoots to point of aim after a small windage adjustment---very much a "Glock-like" trigger---very slim---not the prettiest pistol, but form follows fuction, and this one works! I can recommend them.