PDA

View Full Version : .45 ammo for HD

guitargeak99
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Looking to purchase some Speer Gold Dot .45 HP ammo for HD. My preference is 230 gr, but I see they also offer 200 gr +P. Any opinions? What situations would warrant one over the other?

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2011, 10:32 AM
The weight of the projectile is only one ingredient of the ammo recipe. So, without knowing the rest of both recipes, it's impossible to say if they are designed to transfer the same amount of kinetic energy or not.

Normally, a lighter bullet will have less recoil. But, again, this does depend on powder charges.

NapaCountyShooter
01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
How long is the barrel on your HD weapon? If it's a full sized 1911 or service pistol, you should get plenty of velocity to reliably expand a 230 gr. HP. If you have a compact .45 like a Glock 30/36, maybe a commander sized 1911, you might want to go with the 200 gr. +p to make sure your velocity is high enough to reliably expand the hp.

steelcore
01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I would think HP would be better than a FMJ in general, as it would hit and expand instead of enter and exit like a FMJ +P is likely to do. Ballistics aren't my expertise, but it's just what I'd initially think.

I picked up 500 rounds of the Speer +P yesterday, so I can tell you it's FMJ.

NapaCountyShooter
01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
What you got is the Speer Lawman. It's practice ammo for people who use Gold Dots. Same charge as the Gold Dot, just FMJ for cheaper practice. There is GD 200gr. +p JHP.
I would think HP would be better than a FMJ in general, as it would hit and expand instead of enter and exit like a FMJ +P is likely to do. Ballistics aren't my expertise, but it's just what I'd initially think.

I picked up 500 rounds of the Speer +P yesterday, so I can tell you it's FMJ.

steelcore
01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Ah! Yes you are correct. I noticed the box states TMJ, not FMJ. What is this?

NapaCountyShooter
01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Ah! Yes you are correct. I noticed the box states TMJ, not FMJ. What is this?

TMJ is total metal jacket. It means there is no lead exposed. In FMJ, there is lead exposed at the back of the bullet. TMJ is good for indoor ranges where lead contamination is a problem such as in many police dept. ranges.

postal
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
TMJ= total metal jacket- There is no exposed lead on the projectile at all- it is completely encased in copper.

FMJ= full metal jacket- the base of the projectile is exposed lead.

For HD, you typically want JHP= jacketed hollow point. (assuming they feed reliably in your gun.)

oddjob
01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I use 230gn jhp's Win Ranger ammo. I use 230's because first of all I don't think .45acp travels fast enough to expand reliably. If it does expand....I consider it a gimme. If it doesn't its just a 230 ball. In other words I have nothing to loose by using the 230 jhp. This assumes its reliable in your .45.

I have had the luxury to attend ballistics seminars and speak to officers and investigators where the .45 was used as well as the other calibers. Bottom line is .45 acp (230's) in jhp or ball is pretty decent stuff.

guitargeak99
01-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Good info guys - thanks. I have a compact .45 Colt Defender (3" barrel) and a mid-size Colt .45 (4" barrel). I like Speer's line of "short barrel" ammo, so I use that in the compact - it's 230 gr. My original post was regarding my mid-size gun. If you go on Speer's website you can see their ammo listing designed for short barrel pistols.

Jake71
01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I use 230g Fed Hydroshocks in my Glock 30.

axhoaxho
01-01-2011, 1:40 PM
Like folks suggested, in general JHP is good for home defense. If you have a 3" and 4" barrel 1911 models, the more important thing for JHP is if your guns feed the ammos well. Believe it or not, even the same make/model of two guns, one might feed certain ammos well and the other not.

Try different JHP ammos on each of your gun and see which one they like. If in doubt, try the Remington Golden Saber -- it is known to be more friendly to feed for most 1911s.

An 1911 old timer once told me that he carries two magazines for his 1911. The first magazine has JHP ammos for self defense, and the second magazine has 230g balls as backup. If there is any feeding-hicup in the first (JHP) magazine, he can switch to the second (ball) magazine.

Regards,

MOONDAWG
01-01-2011, 2:29 PM
Generally speaking there isn't nickles worth of difference between the performance of most of todays JHP ammo; the main issue is it's reliability in your chosen gun.

The .45 ACP made most of it's hundred year old reputation using 230 gr. hardball and this is one caliber I don't feel "under-gunned" with if limited to it.

When it comes to .45 ACP JHP's I carry what's on sale, as long as it is reliable in my particular guns.

DaveFJ80
01-01-2011, 9:10 PM
The one main thing I like about Speer Gold Dot .45 ACP 230 grain JHP rounds, are that the bullet nose is rounded pretty good so it's similar to a FMJ bullet nose. No issues when feeding them from the mag.

I personally use Federal HST +P 230 grain JHP ammo, mainly because I got it cheap and quite a few boxes of them. Plus, the expansion on them is nice & big, and there are good videos out there of the round in action. I've put 200 rounds of it through my Kimber and it's been flawless, so I know I can depend on that brand of ammo for HD.