PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Nevada CCWs

CharlieK
01-01-2011, 6:42 AM
and in particular, Clark County? What's the skinny on getting a ccw there? From what I've read, it sounds like it's technically possible but I'm wondering about reality.

Thanks

AAShooter
01-01-2011, 6:48 AM
The challenge for a Nevada permit is the training has to be in Nevada and you have to be present to apply for the CCW or to pick it up.

Clark county requires that you are there for the application process. In Las Vegas it was a three step process (at least it used to be) after getting the training completed. It seemed like I went to one PD to get blue cards for the handguns you want to list, then another for prints and photos, and finally a third.

After the processing, they will then mail you the permit.

Nye County (next to Clark) allows you to apply by mail and pick up the permit in person.

TonyM
01-01-2011, 6:49 AM
I got mine in Washoe county (Reno) and it was very easy. Class time + range qualification are required.

Pretty sure Clark county will be the same, I know there are people here that have gone to an instructor in Clark County, so a search for Nevada CCW Instructors should come back with some hits.

AAShooter
01-01-2011, 7:06 AM
Here is a good instructor for CCW. He holds classes in Clark and Nye counties. He can also do private classes.

http://invictustraining.com/index.html

BTW, I have no financial interest in this recommendation. Chuck is a great guy to spend a day training with.

NiteQwill
01-01-2011, 8:10 AM
The challenge for a Nevada permit is the training has to be in Nevada and you have to be present to apply for the CCW or to pick it up.

Clark county requires that you are there for the application process. In Las Vegas it was a three step process (at least it used to be) after getting the training completed. It seemed like I went to one PD to get blue cards for the handguns you want to list, then another for prints and photos, and finally a third.

After the processing, they will then mail you the permit.

Nye County (next to Clark) allows you to apply by mail and pick up the permit in person.

You do not need a blue card for your handguns unless you are a resident of Clark County or plan on staying 60+ days.

You make it seem harder than it really is. You only need to go to one place to process everything (even blue cards, if you wish) and that is the location off Cameron.

AAShooter
01-01-2011, 8:14 AM
You do not need a blue card for your handguns unless you are a resident of Clark County or plan on staying 60+ days.

You make it seem harder than it really is. You only need to go to one place to process everything (even blue cards, if you wish) and that is the location off Cameron.

The process may have changed since I did it. When I did it I was told the Blue Cards were required, even for non-residents. I think the whole thing took 30-45 minutes. Of course, I went the first thing in the morning.

CharlieK
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks all.

We're moving from CA to NV. Refuse to pay CA taxes anymore or deal with all these nanny state restrictions on freedom. NV may not be nirvana but it's a step in the right direction. Taking the business with us too. November's election was the last straw.

Rocket Man
01-01-2011, 5:15 PM
My NV CCW was very very easy to get.

One fun day of class & shooting with like minded people.

Next day filled out app at Washoe SO, paid fee, fingerprinted, picture.

Waited 6 weeks for it to be mailed to me.

Bonus; my CCW NV ID is used for my second ID when making gun purchases :D

Side note; 25 people were getting there CCW's when I was there & 24 of them were from Kalifonia!!!!

gunsmith
01-01-2011, 8:26 PM
dang, my original and requal took three months each time!
giter done!

Dirtbozz
01-01-2011, 8:55 PM
My NV CCW was very very easy to get.

Side note; 25 people were getting there CCW's when I was there & 24 of them were from Kalifonia!!!!

I have an appointment for the CCW class at "The Gun Store", in Vegas, on the 12th. I'll probably put a few full auto rounds down range while I'm there. :83:

MP301
01-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I have an appointment for the CCW class at "The Gun Store", in Vegas, on the 12th. I'll probably put a few full auto rounds down range while I'm there. :83:

I did mine at the Gunstore and found out later they were way over priced! They charge $25 for each additional gun you add to your permit where as others charge $10 or are free. I would stringly suggest you check around! Every range has a resident CCW instructor and there are many in the phone book or online that do it as well.

Plus, the folks at the Gunstore look down their noses at Ca residents are can be rude at times.

Also, wherever you live, your Nevada CCW will come in the mail in about 21 days. You DO NOT have to pick it up. You do have to do the training in Nevada however.

I just added guns to my permit recently and was happy to see its no longer slammed at the finger print place. I went in at a peak time and there were 7 people there for other reasons. I asked and they said that because of changes to the Sheriff's card requirements (you need a Sheriff's card to work around gaming), it cut their workload considerrably.

You can usually knock out the class and the visit to the fingerprint place all in one day now...if you plan it right.

Dirtbozz
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I did mine at the Gunstore and found out later they were way over priced! They charge $25 for each additional gun you add to your permit where as others charge $10 or are free. I would stringly suggest you check around! Every range has a resident CCW instructor and there are many in the phone book or online that do it as well.

Plus, the folks at the Gunstore look down their noses at Ca residents are can be rude at times.

Also, wherever you live, your Nevada CCW will come in the mail in about 21 days. You DO NOT have to pick it up. You do have to do the training in Nevada however.

I just added guns to my permit recently and was happy to see its no longer slammed at the finger print place. I went in at a peak time and there were 7 people there for other reasons. I asked and they said that because of changes to the Sheriff's card requirements (you need a Sheriff's card to work around gaming), it cut their workload considerrably.

You can usually knock out the class and the visit to the fingerprint place all in one day now...if you plan it right.

According to their website, the class is free. I only plan to qualify one firearm. Am I missing something?

MP301
01-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I paid like $75 for my class their and then $25 for each gun after the first one. But, I would call them. I did mine a couple of years ago and maybe they changed it up due to serious competition. I know they got hurt when their rep went south due to mistreating tourists...but who knows.

I suggest you add more then one gun...if you have to barrow/rent one. They are listed on your CCW as model and caliber specific unless its a revolver. If all you ever carry or shoot are revolvers, then that will suffice.

Everytime you make a change, you pay $10 to the instructer per gun and $25 to clark county to add it.