PDA

View Full Version : Selling guns and change of address

SarcoBlaster
12-31-2010, 10:35 PM
I recently moved and did the online change of address on the DMV's website. Everything went through and the confirmation said to write my new address on the back of the still valid driver license (doesn't expire until 2014), which I did.

However, since I don't have that brown change of address card, can I sell firearms with my driver license the way it is? Or do I still have the have the brown change of address card? If I am able to sell, which address do I write on the forms? The old address that I put down when I initially purchased the firearms? Or my new, current address?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SarcoBlaster
01-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Bump.

jtmkinsd
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I recently moved and did the online change of address on the DMV's website. Everything went through and the confirmation said to write my new address on the back of the still valid driver license (doesn't expire until 2014), which I did.

However, since I don't have that brown change of address card, can I sell firearms with my driver license the way it is? Or do I still have the have the brown change of address card? If I am able to sell, which address do I write on the forms? The old address that I put down when I initially purchased the firearms? Or my new, current address?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There is no requirement for the seller to provide proof of address...your license gets swiped, and you sign the DROS. Neither CA nor the Feds has a requirement for the seller to provide proof of current address, it is only on the buyer through the Federal form 4473 that one must provide proof of current address if the one on their license is not their actual address.

bussda
01-01-2011, 1:15 PM
There is no requirement for the seller to provide proof of address...your license gets swiped, and you sign the DROS. Neither CA nor the Feds has a requirement for the seller to provide proof of current address, it is only on the buyer through the Federal form 4473 that one must provide proof of current address if the one on their license is not their actual address.

But if the DROS cannot be completed, the firearm must DROSed back to the seller, which, as I understand, requires current address on the ID. And the problem is ATF audits, not DOJ.

jtmkinsd
01-01-2011, 1:21 PM
But if the DROS cannot be completed, the firearm must DROSed back to the seller, which, as I understand, requires current address on the ID. And the problem is ATF audits, not DOJ.

The DROS is a CA requirement...and they don't care about your address...unless you are buying...the background is done off of your ID number...not your address...and if you are already the owner...they don't care where you live...they just want to be sure you are not a prohibited person.

bussda
01-01-2011, 1:38 PM
The DROS is a CA requirement...and they don't care about your address...unless you are buying...the background is done off of your ID number...not your address...and if you are already the owner...they don't care where you live...they just want to be sure you are not a prohibited person.

I understand. But by using that logic a 4473 would not need to be completed for a PPT. It is completed, then failed DROS requires another DROS and 4473. At least that is how I understand the process.

jtmkinsd
01-01-2011, 2:06 PM
I understand. But by using that logic a 4473 would not need to be completed for a PPT. It is completed, then failed DROS requires another DROS and 4473. At least that is how I understand the process.

Negative...if the buyer is denied, DOJ runs background on seller...the firearm is and always was the sellers...you can't, or I should say, don't need to 4473 a gun you already own. DOJ is simply checking to see that you aren't a prohibited person. If the buyer is denied, the seller is checked and if you are not a prohibited person you go pick up your gun.

Spyder
01-01-2011, 4:00 PM
Regardless of what the law says, a LOT of ffl's won't do the transfer for you if you tell them your address is not current. Bring a utility bill, just like you do for pickup, and you should be fine. I had this issue just a few weeks ago. Went to sell a gun at TDS and they wouldn't do the transfer because I had moved the weekend before and I didn't have anything with my current address on it. Ridiculous, but you gotta play by their rules.

SarcoBlaster
01-01-2011, 9:46 PM
Well, looks like I'll be calling a few different shops to see who needs what in order to sell.

biker777
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I am in the same position.Changed my address online, so my CDL is the old address. Fortunately my registration on a motorcycle I just bought has my new address..that and a copy of my electric bill works fine everywhere I have went..so far..
Does not seem to be an issue

tenpercentfirearms
01-02-2011, 8:02 AM
Chalk me up as another FFL that could care less what the seller's ID address says because for all DOJ and ATF purposes, it does not matter.

As was stated, when I run a PPT, if the buyer fails, they will issue a delay (at least I think they delay it, they might flat out reject it, but that means they are doing your check before they deny). Then they check the seller's background. If both are prohibited, then I get to turn it over to the coppers. If the seller is clean, the seller simply comes in and picks up their gun. I merely finish dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the DOJ and ATF paperwork and then sign the gun out of my A&D book back to the seller.

You might be right that other FFLs are going to waste everyone's time trying to verify the seller's address. It would not hurt to have a government issued document and/or a utility bill showing the new address just in case the FFL likes to do extra work. Or simply find an FFL that isn't going to waste that much effort on a PPT. Good luck.

SarcoBlaster
01-02-2011, 9:29 AM
Chalk me up as another FFL that could care less what the seller's ID address says because for all DOJ and ATF purposes, it does not matter.

As was stated, when I run a PPT, if the buyer fails, they will issue a delay (at least I think they delay it, they might flat out reject it, but that means they are doing your check before they deny). Then they check the seller's background. If both are prohibited, then I get to turn it over to the coppers. If the seller is clean, the seller simply comes in and picks up their gun. I merely finish dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the DOJ and ATF paperwork and then sign the gun out of my A&D book back to the seller.

You might be right that other FFLs are going to waste everyone's time trying to verify the seller's address. It would not hurt to have a government issued document and/or a utility bill showing the new address just in case the FFL likes to do extra work. Or simply find an FFL that isn't going to waste that much effort on a PPT. Good luck.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info!