PDA

View Full Version : GD Effing California Gun Laws!

GW
12-31-2010, 10:04 PM
To celebrate Christmas I purchased a Kimber Raptor at a local gunshop. 2 days after I started DROS I spotted a used Wilson CQB on Gunbroker. The price was great and I pounced. It arrived yesterday at my favorite local gun store. and that's where I discovered that despite the fact that it is used, the DOJ views it as "new" and I am now unable to even start DROS for another 20 days!!! And, as there were little kids around, I couldn't even give full and descriptive prose as to the lineage and low moral character of Don Perata and the rest of the libtard inbred pederast feckless unmanly cowardly wretches that would pass such a law in the first place.
BAH!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

voiceofreason
12-31-2010, 10:24 PM
People work hard to force their views and beliefs upon others. It makes them feel morally superior. I'm sorry you're a victim of said politicians and antis.

Congrats on the Wilson CQB, niiiice.

frankm
12-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, that sucks. I think you ought to buy a third gun just to stick it in their craw.

meaty-btz
12-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I'd rather kneel before Zod.... I sure hope I am blowin this joint soon to a free state.

GW
12-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, that sucks. I think you ought to buy a third gun just to stick it in their craw.

Whatcha selling?:D

SoCal Bob
12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
The good part is it will soon be yours, the bad part is that is that there is no logical reason why that will be later than sooner.

foxtrotuniformlima
12-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Another great reason for a COE & 03FFL

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Certificate_of_Eligibility

gtturborex
12-31-2010, 11:02 PM

Well thats funny. I have 3 in waiting now. XD45 is currently in jail. XD40 will arrive on Tuesday but wont be able to dros for 20 days after the first pick up. XD9 will be 20 days after the 2nd pick up.

Damn this sucks

frankm
12-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Well thats funny. I have 3 in waiting now. XD45 is currently in jail. XD40 will arrive on Tuesday but wont be able to dros for 20 days after the first pick up. XD9 will be 20 days after the 2nd pick up.

Damn this sucks

LOL! Ok, to really get their goat, bury one in cosmoline out in the desert somewhere. LOL.

ke6guj
01-01-2011, 1:36 AM
It arrived yesterday at my favorite local gun store. and that's where I discovered that despite the fact that it is used, the DOJ views it as "new" and I am now unable to even start DROS for another 20 days!!! not sure what this "used" or "new" business is about. The penal code does not mention new or used anywhere. The PC says that you can only buy 1 handgun (no new or used differnce) every thirty days, and then lists some exemptions.

12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(i) Any law enforcement agency.
(ii) Any agency duly authorized to perform law enforcement duties.
(iii) Any state or local correctional facility.
(iv) Any private security company licensed to do business in California.
(v) Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, and who is authorized to, and does carry a firearm during the course and scope of his or her employment as a peace officer.
(vi) Any motion picture, television, or video production company or entertainment or theatrical company whose production by its nature involves the use of a firearm.
(vii) Any person who may, pursuant to Section 12078, claim an exemption from the waiting period set forth in subdivision (c) of this section.
(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.
(x) The exchange of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person where the dealer purchased that firearm from the person seeking the exchange within the 30-day period immediately preceding the date of exchange or replacement.
(xi) The replacement of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person when the person's pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person was lost or stolen, and the person reported that firearm lost or stolen prior to the completion of the application to purchase to any local law enforcement agency of the city, county, or city and county in which he or she resides.
(xii) The return of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to its owner.

Hunt
01-01-2011, 1:37 AM
the desire to excersize authority over others is a mental illness, these lawmakers are indeed sick in the head.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-01-2011, 2:13 AM
To celebrate Christmas I purchased a Kimber Raptor at a local gunshop. 2 days after I started DROS I spotted a used Wilson CQB on Gunbroker. The price was great and I pounced. It arrived yesterday at my favorite local gun store. and that's where I discovered that despite the fact that it is used, the DOJ views it as "new" and I am now unable to even start DROS for another 20 days!!! And, as there were little kids around, I couldn't even give full and descriptive prose as to the lineage and low moral character of Don Perata and the rest of the libtard inbred pederast feckless unmanly cowardly wretches that would pass such a law in the first place.

Complete sympathy GW. I've been right there with you too many times before. I love CalGuns so much because they are the most effective organization to push back against the insanity of California gun laws, to give us hope that we can make a lot of this right in the end. Every time I get enraged by this crap I give another $50 to CalGuns and feel a little better.

wellerjohn
01-01-2011, 5:24 AM
I couldn't even give full and descriptive prose as to the lineage and low moral character of Don Perata and the rest of the libtard inbred pederast feckless unmanly cowardly wretches that would pass such a law in the first place.
Well said....:D

B Strong
01-01-2011, 6:51 AM

You're just discovering this in 2010?

I know it's a PITA, but I've been there too.

It's hard to have a piece in ten day jail and then find another out-of-state that you have to jump on to get. I just park the thing at the dealer before I do the paperwork.

gtturborex
01-01-2011, 8:37 AM
OP- Most all of us here feel the same way. This is why we are here and donate to our cause against the machine.

Ordnance1
01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Getting my C&R and COE was the best thing I have done in my 20 years in CA. Just bought three pistols all within a month and a half. H&K P30, HK45, and Sig 226. Still have about eight more on my "to get" list though. Only thing holding me back now is $$$$.

Dexster
01-01-2011, 10:21 AM
OP: Sorry about your situation, I will be waiting with you as well for my Kimber Ultra Carry II in a few days...

wazdat
01-01-2011, 10:45 AM
You're right, this sucks. Especially when you consider that you can do as many PPT as you want without having to wait 30 days between them!

Mesa Tactical
01-01-2011, 11:44 AM
It's not so bad.

On Friday I bought a suit at Nordstrom's and I won't be able to pick it up until the 13th.

monkeshine
01-01-2011, 2:21 PM
Any motion picture, television, or video production company or entertainment or theatrical company whose production by its nature involves the use of a firearm.

I am sure this little bit has been discussed at some point but I couldn't find it.

In today's age of YouTube fame (for example, Juston Beiber became famous from YouTube and there are many small budget films that go straight to Internet distribution) what specific qualifications and proofs are needed to obtain more than one weapon in a 30 day period under this "movie studio" exemption?

monkeshine
01-01-2011, 2:29 PM
Oh yeah, and fwiw, I am waiting at this moment. I picked up a beatiful 1920s era Colt Policeman revolver in mint condition - I didn't want anyone else to get it - And put a deposit on another weapon at the same time. The good thing about the law is it is every 30 days from DROS, which means you can actually be in the gun store about 3 times month. Do the paperwork, wait 10 days and go pick it up, wait 20 more days then go DROS another one. (ok, I know nobody ever expected "good thing" and the "one gun a month" law to be in the same sentnence around here, but I'll try to find something good inn thing if I can :-). ).

quiet-wyatt
01-01-2011, 3:32 PM
not sure what this "used" or "new" business is about. The penal code does not mention new or used anywhere. The PC says that you can only buy 1 handgun (no new or used differnce) every thirty days, and then lists some exemptions.

"(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082. "

So, Section 12082 is a Private Party Transfer (Which exempts it from the 1 handgun per 30 days prohibition)?

ke6guj
01-01-2011, 3:36 PM
"(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082. "

So, Section 12082 is a Private Party Transfer (Which exempts it from the 1 handgun per 30 days prohibition)?

yup

Cokebottle
01-01-2011, 3:56 PM
I am sure this little bit has been discussed at some point but I couldn't find it.

In today's age of YouTube fame (for example, Juston Beiber became famous from YouTube and there are many small budget films that go straight to Internet distribution) what specific qualifications and proofs are needed to obtain more than one weapon in a 30 day period under this "movie studio" exemption?
Home movies aren't going to cut it.
I haven't seen him on the forum in a few months, but look up user "TheDirector" and learn what is involved in having firearms on a set.
It is far more restrictive than regular gun laws are when it comes to a home movie. You've got BATFE, DOJ, and CalOSHA laws are in play.

Best bet for the 1-30 exemption is to simply apply for an 03FFL and a COE. Total cost is under $150, takes between 30 and 60 days.

Uriah02
01-01-2011, 3:58 PM
Is this rant about the wait or that someone might buy the Wilson while the OP is waiting?

chico.cm
01-01-2011, 4:05 PM
I'd like to feel for ya, but I have to play my envy card: you just bought 2 pistols that are on my 'must have' list, but can't afford, due to the disheartening economic debacle we find ourselves in! :rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2011, 4:09 PM

On a state level, you are correct. On a city or county level, one needs to check their laws. I know at least one small city called Los Angeles, where PPTs are INCLUDED in the one gun every 30 days thing.

spgripside
01-01-2011, 4:15 PM
...what specific qualifications and proofs are needed to obtain more than one weapon in a 30 day period under this "movie studio" exemption?
You can find out more about the Entertainment Firearms Permit (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/epp.php) from the CA Attorney Generals office.

Application (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/efpapp.pdf) for permit. Usually firearms on set are supervised by the prop department, although sometimes there is a designated armourer. This is the safety bulletin (http://www.csatf.org/pdf/01FIREARMS.pdf), that is most often attached to the call sheet when firearms are to be present.

GW
01-01-2011, 8:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
not sure what this "used" or "new" business is about. The penal code does not mention new or used anywhere. The PC says that you can only buy 1 handgun (no new or used differnce) every thirty days, and then lists some exemptions.

Yep
In my rant I should have said PPT instead of used
I thought that buying it used from someone on Gunbroker would qualify as a PPT
WRONG!:pinch: 30 Days in jail!
To another poster No the gun is mine It just irks me to have to wait for this an additional 30 days after waiting 15 years for a Wilson. Fortunately, it is safe in the hands of the good folks at Valkyrie:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nickvig
01-01-2011, 8:39 PM

Guns being transferred to an 01 FFL are entered in as stock (I'm probably not using the right terms....) into their book. When picked up by the purchaser they are transferred and are subject to the 1 in 30 for new handguns as they have become a part of the FFL's inventory. In states with a 1 in 30 law, those guns transferred in are looked at as new and subject to the 1 in 30 requirement. My father lives in Virginia and they have a similar law there, however, CCW holders are exempt.

On a state level, you are correct. On a city or county level, one needs to check their laws. I know at least one small city called Los Angeles, where PPTs are INCLUDED in the one gun every 30 days thing.

01 FFL's in Los Angeles City are held to a one in 30 for PPT or new handguns. Small cities such as San Fernando and Burbank do not have this law and go by the state law of 1 in 30 for new and no limit on PPT handguns. What I'm surprised is that no one has challenged the Los Angeles City statute under pre-emptive clause. (Did I say that right?)

Librarian
01-01-2011, 8:55 PM
01 FFL's in Los Angeles City are held to a one in 30 for PPT or new handguns. Small cities such as San Fernando and Burbank do not have this law and go by the state law of 1 in 30 for new and no limit on PPT handguns. What I'm surprised is that no one has challenged the Los Angeles City statute under pre-emptive clause. (Did I say that right?)

I believe it's because the state pre-emption is much narrower than generally thought:
Government Code 53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole
field of regulation of the registration or licensing
of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by
the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be
exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or
licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any
political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor
Code.For REAL pre-emption, see the next section: 53071.5 (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/GOV/1/5/d2/1/1/4/s53071.5)By the enforcement of this section, the Legislature occupies the whole field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, as defined in Section 12550 of the Penal Code, and that section shall preempt and be exclusive of all regulations relating to the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, including regulations governing the manufacture, sale, or possession of BB devices and air rifles described in subdivision (g) of Section 12001 of the Penal Code.

Beyond that, relatively low on the list of Things To Do, I think.