PDA

View Full Version : 80's 92f questions, sights and ammo.

Jwind
12-31-2010, 8:02 PM
I finally convinced my dad to take his 80's Beretta 92f out to the range sometime next week. He has only put about 200rds down the barrel since he picked it up way back when. First time I'm shooting it with him, and had a few questions I was hoping the Calgunners could help me out with before I look like a total noob in front of my dad :D

1-The sights are different from my 92fs which came with a 3 dot night sights. His looks different and I'm not 100% sure how to line them up. On the rear, it looks like a half circle in the middle, and up front its a full circle. So to line these type up correctly, do I fill in the rear half dot to make it a full dot by using the front full circle? IE, trying to complete the rear circle since the upper half is missing, by using the front sights as the filler? Hope I made some sense there lol. Pics are attached to help.

2-Also, would it be safe to shoot my FMJ 124gr bullets from the 92f? How about 155gr? I only shoot 124gr from my FS, but since reading up on the slide problem of the older models I am a bit worried.

Rear Sights,
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg96/jnmashimaro/Forums/RearSight.jpg

Front Sights,

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg96/jnmashimaro/Forums/FrontBlade.jpg

G-forceJunkie
12-31-2010, 8:54 PM
Level the sites across the top, ignore the dots and whatnot. I would shoot anything i could stuff in there, not much commercial is at or near NATO specs.

586L-Frame
12-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Align the bottom of the front sight dot... on top of the rear sight half dot.
then shoot a grouping to determine point of impact and adjust accordingly.

I don't have a 92f but I do own three 92fs's.
Have fun and enjoy shooting your Dad's 92f.

586L-Frame

TrailerparkTrash
12-31-2010, 11:22 PM
The slide thing was not a problem, unless you shot "proof" loads out of the gun, which you can't get.

Second, is your dad's gun a "92F" or "92FS" model??? The later "92FS" model had an (unnecessary) safety added to the left side of the slide, in conjuction with a big round disc shaped item on the frame. This was designed in response to the older 92F gun's slides cracking and flying into the face of the shooter. By the way, where are these "mystery" shooters that suffered a slide going right into their faces during testing of these guns????

Anyway, as the last poster said before me, you can shoot anything through the 92F series of guns. It eats anything you feed it. :D:D

Jwind
01-01-2011, 1:14 AM
Level the sites across the top, ignore the dots and whatnot. I would shoot anything i could stuff in there, not much commercial is at or near NATO specs.

I don't have a 92f but I do own three 92fs's.
Have fun and enjoy shooting your Dad's 92f.

586L-Frame

So using 586L-Frame's way, would it level out the top, ie G-forcejunkie's way?

The slide thing was not a problem, unless you shot "proof" loads out of the gun, which you can't get.

Second, is your dad's gun a "92F" or "92FS" model??? The later "92FS" model had an (unnecessary) safety added to the left side of the slide, in conjuction with a big round disc shaped item on the frame. This was designed in response to the older 92F gun's slides cracking and flying into the face of the shooter. By the way, where are these "mystery" shooters that suffered a slide going right into their faces during testing of these guns????

Anyway, as the last poster said before me, you can shoot anything through the 92F series of guns. It eats anything you feed it. :D:D

All right, so thats 3 for 3 on the ammo question haha, I'm at ease with that then.

Well, I had a 92FS which I ended up selling, which I did regret after awhile. I had alot of boxes of 9s left though, which is why I was wondering about the above. My dad is the one with the 92F, which we should be able to get rid of very quickly, what with his 15rd and 20rd mags and all lol.

Also as for the slides in the face thing, I was also curious why I can't find any cases yet. I have a feeling its one of those "Remington Under Fire" bs. But it does make you second guess abit.

Munk
01-01-2011, 2:07 AM
Complete the circle. That's how i've aimed with it in the past, and it works great. However, due to whatever issues you may have, you'll probably wind up with something between flattening the top of the sights, or making the circle.

The 92 will eat damn near any ammo. I've shot odd stuff that i think is steel jacketed before (have no idea where dad got it, odd surplus)

The "slide in the face" issue is popular folklore about them from the testing days of the 92, when they were shooting carbine ammo through them. I'm sure someone took a piece of debris to the face, but i think the tales are exaggerated by haters. So long as you don't have something in the realm of +P+++ (doesn't exist, i know, it's for the sake of argument.) you won't have this issue.

(Also, did you say you'd be selling the hi-caps? remember, that's a no-go in CA unless you're a special class of citizen. Otherwise they've got to be disassembled and sold as parts)

Jwind
01-01-2011, 8:24 AM
Complete the circle. That's how i've aimed with it in the past, and it works great. However, due to whatever issues you may have, you'll probably wind up with something between flattening the top of the sights, or making the circle.

The 92 will eat damn near any ammo. I've shot odd stuff that i think is steel jacketed before (have no idea where dad got it, odd surplus)

The "slide in the face" issue is popular folklore about them from the testing days of the 92, when they were shooting carbine ammo through them. I'm sure someone took a piece of debris to the face, but i think the tales are exaggerated by haters. So long as you don't have something in the realm of +P+++ (doesn't exist, i know, it's for the sake of argument.) you won't have this issue.

(Also, did you say you'd be selling the hi-caps? remember, that's a no-go in CA unless you're a special class of citizen. Otherwise they've got to be disassembled and sold as parts)

I figured the "slide in the face" would be something like that. Couldn't find any hard evidence.

As for the Hi cap mags, these are per-ban mags. I was under the assumption nobody would question my dad who is the realm of 50 years young. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to shoot his 92F lol.

boink
01-01-2011, 8:26 AM
I'm under the impression you're supposed to "Dot the i" with that type of sight. In fact, my M9 has moon sights, and that is accurate for me.

Secondly, I would look at the type of locking block that is in the 92. If it is a first generation, you should most definitely replace it for a third gen. All locking blocks are universal. The 2nd and 3rd gen blocks helped reduce an issue with the block cracking. See this thread for more details:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45325

Here are some pics with labels.

Some notes:
The block letter markings can apparently vary within generations.
There are different versions of the radius cuts within Generation 2.

Gen 1 Locking Block
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/JohnKSa/Gen1-1.jpg
Photo by jmclv

Gen 2 Locking Blocks
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/JohnKSa/Gen2blueCmark.jpg
Photo by jmclv

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/JohnKSa/Gen2inoxCmark.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/JohnKSa/Gen2Blueunmark.jpg

Gen 3 Locking Block
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv206/JohnKSa/Gen3inoxUnmark.jpg

EDIT: here is a locking block kit directly from Beretta. Also comes with a new recoil spring. http://www.berettausa.com/products/92/96-locking-block-kit/

Munk
01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm under the impression you're supposed to "Dot the i" with that type of sight. In fact, my M9 has moon sights, and that is accurate for me.

Secondly, I would look at the type of locking block that is in the 92. If it is a first generation, you should most definitely replace it for a third gen. All locking blocks are universal. The 2nd and 3rd gen blocks helped reduce an issue with the block cracking. See this thread for more details:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45325

EDIT: here is a locking block kit directly from Beretta. Also comes with a new recoil spring. http://www.berettausa.com/products/92/96-locking-block-kit/

WHen I've seen them "dot the I" is when it's a square in the back with the dot in front. When you account for inconsistencies in MFG it's probably going to be somewhere in between until he gets used to it.

Absolutely check the locking block, it's probably not chipped or damaged yet if it's got so few rounds down it. Just be sure you check it out every other range trip or so. The new blocks are far less prone to breaking.

To the OP... Your dad can use his own pre-ban hi-caps all he wants, and if you're with him, you can use them in his presence as well.
My dad is the one with the 92F, which we should be able to get rid of very quickly, what with his 15rd and 20rd mags and all lol.
This is leading me to believe you're selling the gun and intend to sell the mags with them.... no. No you can't. Not in CA. The mags have to be rendered into 10rounders to be sold with gun, or they have to be dissassembled and sold as parts to the purchaser. Having the pre-ban mag means you've acquired them legally and can do as you will, however the ban itself is on the selling,giving,lending,importing,and manufacturing of hi-cap mags, which means your dad could get in trouble for selling them as a complete hi-cap.

My advice? Keep the mags. Go online, buy a factory 10round mag for 17 bucks and have that go with the pistol if you're selling it.

Jwind
01-01-2011, 2:17 PM
Hmm dotting the i ehh? Sounds like a plan. And I'll take a look at the locking block as soon as I get home and see if I can get some pictures up while I'm at if anything.

This is leading me to believe you're selling the gun and intend to sell the mags with them.... no. No you can't. Not in CA. The mags have to be rendered into 10rounders to be sold with gun, or they have to be dissassembled and sold as parts to the purchaser. Having the pre-ban mag means you've acquired them legally and can do as you will, however the ban itself is on the selling,giving,lending,importing,and manufacturing of hi-cap mags, which means your dad could get in trouble for selling them as a complete hi-cap.

Oh no, guess I worded that sentence weirdly. What I was referring to was the left over ammo I had from my 92FS. In that we could shoot my remaining 124grs and a few 155grs in a quicker amount of time due to the hi caps mags lol.

dachan
01-01-2011, 2:18 PM
I had alot of boxes of 9s left though, which is why I was wondering about the above. My dad is the one with the 92F, which we should be able to get rid of very quickly, what with his 15rd and 20rd mags and all lol.

Probably talking about getting rid of the ammo, not the mags; i.e., shooting the ammo through the 92F using the hi-cap mags which will facilitate expending the ammo quickly.

Falstaff
01-01-2011, 2:31 PM
Where'd you get 155 grain 9mm? The heaviest 9mm bullet I've ever found is 147 grain. I'd love to try some 155 in mine.

G-forceJunkie
01-01-2011, 3:32 PM
Dots, bars, U shapes...they are all secondary alignment marks for your peripheral vision. Since they are always below the top of the sites, it would make no sense to have the point of impact based off the dots...it would impact where you can't see! "Post and Groove" iron sites should always be set up to correctaly site with the tops level and a equal gap on both sides of the front post.

Munk
01-01-2011, 8:09 PM
Probably talking about getting rid of the ammo, not the mags; i.e., shooting the ammo through the 92F using the hi-cap mags which will facilitate expending the ammo quickly.

In that case... yes. yes it will. Going through 15+ rds in a matter of seconds is a blast... especially if you get them all on a silhouette. (Quite a few shoulder and arm for me though lol)

homemade
01-02-2011, 7:57 PM
check your locking blocks the older ones that are not radioused in the corners tend to start cracking at about 1000.

When I took the guys out to qualify I used to put a handful in my pocket to replace the broken ones at the range.

orangeusa
01-02-2011, 8:35 PM
Clean it, and enjoy. There is nothing wrong with that gun. Trailerpark described it well.

The 92F vs. 92FS - 'S' = slide stop. It was designed in during M9 selloff when over pressure loads were used and caused failures.

And I wouldn't worry about the locking block 'worries' as described above...
The gun was designed to be shot, and shot a LOT.

One thing I suggest on all 92's - the trigger needs some cleanup. The 'D' spring is not near as impressive of a change as cleaning up the hammer and the sear, but that's out of the range of this thread...

Mr. Beretta
01-02-2011, 9:09 PM

586L-Frame

This works for me.

And ref: all the FUD about the locking blocks? Don't believe it. My 1985 92F has at least 100,000 rds down range with ever a problem, With the exception of a pair of new grips and NP3 refinish on the slide, it's a 100% original including the locking block!

Enjoy your Dad's 92F !

homemade
01-03-2011, 8:17 PM
make sure when your cleaning your gun you check the locking block.
As an armorer I would put a handfull in my pocket on range trips because after a 1000 rds or so they started to break on the ones that did not have the radiused corners.
when the new ones came in i switched them out as they broke never saw any problems with the new ones.

Jwind
01-03-2011, 9:14 PM
Well checked my dad's 92f and found that the locking block is 1st gen. I'm going to see how often he/we'll be shooting it and decide if I should replace it then. I did talked to a few other guys with the older 92f. Haven't heard anything bad yet, but can't be too safe I guess.

I Cannot wait until Thursday though. Range day!! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Jwind
01-03-2011, 9:14 PM
Well checked my dad's 92f and found that the locking block is 1st gen. I'm going to see how often he/we'll be shooting it and decide if I should replace it then. I did talked to a few other guys with the older 92f. Haven't heard anything bad yet, but can't be too safe I guess.

I Cannot wait until Thursday though. Range day!! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

586L-Frame
01-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Hi Jwind,
Beretta USA has the 92/96 Locking Block Kit for $35.95
on their website. Just a FYI.
586L-Frame

http://www.berettausa.com/products/92/96-locking-block-kit/

MicronuT
01-04-2011, 1:10 AM
i could be mistaken, but i thought the difference between the f, and fs, was decocker only, vs, decock/safety...?

G-forceJunkie
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Your thinking of the G model.i could be mistaken, but i thought the difference between the f, and fs, was decocker only, vs, decock/safety...?

Munk
01-04-2011, 1:02 PM
Your thinking of the G model.

He is. i love my G.

For more explaination of differences Wikipedia is your friend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92#92F_.2892SB-F.29).