PDA

View Full Version : Prohibited Person Questions

Dutch Schultz
12-31-2010, 7:39 PM
I've gone to the range with a friend of mine a few times, and recently he decided he wanted to purchase himself a pistol and had found an excellent deal on one.

Unfortunately 3 or 4 days into his waiting period he was denied, as he failed the background check. Well one call to the DOJ later, he found out it was because of a battery charge from when he was 16 years old (part of a few outrageous charges trumped up by overzealous mall security) At the time his public pretender convinced him to just take one charge of battery in exchange for all other charges being dropped. And of course he didn't realize the far reaching consequences of this at that age. (He is now 24)

The woman from the DOJ he spoke with advised him he might be able to get a lawyer to clear this up for him. And he asked me to post this here to help him understand what some of his options are, and how difficult this will be to take care of.

Something I personally would like to know, is if he is just prohibited from buying firearms and would still be able to accompany me to the range and use mine.

I may not respond to this thread right away as I'm going out for the new year soon. But I will definitely comeback to this soon. Thank you in advance for your helpfulness.

CSDGuy
12-31-2010, 8:11 PM
If he is prohibited from buying a firearm, he's also likely prohibited from possessing one... That would include going shooting with you.

jtmkinsd
12-31-2010, 8:18 PM
DON'T give or lend him a firearm...advise him not to touch one until this is cleared up.

Tell him to call this number: (800) 556-2109

He can visit the CGF website too: Calguns Foundation (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/hotline)

Dutch Schultz
01-01-2011, 3:25 PM
If he is prohibited from buying a firearm, he's also likely prohibited from possessing one...

DON'T give or lend him a firearm...

Yeah, unfortunately that was my line of thinking as well.