View Full Version : Helped a rancher and shotgunned 3 coyotes! Over the shooter's shoulder action photos!

12-31-2010, 6:11 PM
This is a cut and paste from CPC as told by DerbyAcresBob (aka my father).

My son Wes and I left town at 6:30 am to do some calling before going to help the rancher and his family, gather , sort and brand some calves.

On the first stand we had a pretty good cold breeze blowing and it was blowing down towards some farm land we can't hunt. I set up to call into the wind but I told Wes to watch cross wind and the downwind side because the wind was going to carry the sound that way even though we had the speakers pointed the other way.

I was laying down with my shotgun and a pillow about 15 yards from my CS-24 and SP-55 speaker. I started the CS-24 playing Bay Bee Cottontail on volume 40. This was open grass land with no brush or bushes anywhere to be seen.

After Bay Bee Cottontail had been playing for 3 or 4 minutes I saw movement out of my right eye real close to me. So I turned my head and saw a coyote heading away fast, he had smelled me or the caller. So I sat up and saw another coyote about 25 yards away looking right at me. This coyote just stood there with a " where did you come from" look on his face.

I shot the standing coyote and then turned and whipped a big lead on the running coyote and shot at him with a 3" Rem Wingmaster HD "T" Predator load. The second coyote flipped head over heels and hit the ground hard but got right up. I shot at him again as he ran into a ditch about 70 yards away. When we finished the stand Wes told me that there was 4 coyotes that came running in all at one time.

We went over to where the second coyote I shot at ran into the ditch. Wes walked up the ditch and I walked down the ditch and Wes found the dead coyote about 100 yards up the ditch from where he entered it.

The above picture is the shotgun double we got on the first stand. We blanked on the next two stands and then headed for the corrals to do the cattle work.

When the cattle work was over we headed in a different direction and started to do some more stands. We blanked on the first one.

On the second stand in the afternoon Wes was using the pillow and shotgun. I set up my new Foxpro Jack Attack Decoy next to my CS-24 about 15 yards away from Wes.

I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail again on volume 40. We were up in the hills on this stand and it looked like a coyote could come right around the ridge to Wes and Wes wouldn't see it until it was 20 to 30 yards away. Wes could see a long ways to the right and out in front but not very far to the left.

I had my camera ready pointed towards Wes and the caller and decoy. Not too long after starting Bay Bee Cottontail I was looking to the right. When I turned my eyes back towards Wes there was a coyote standing in front of him and it was very close to him. So I started taking pictures.

This is Wes sitting up and raising the shotgun from the laying down position.

Here is Wes pointing the shotgun at the coyote but waiting for just a second or two for me to take some pictures.

In this picture Wes just fired the old Remington 11-87 at the coyote.

In this picture the Hevi-Shot "B" shot Waterfowl load has just reached the coyote. You can just barely see the Jack Attack decoy to the right of Wes in this picture.

In this picture the coyote is getting ready to fall over.

12-31-2010, 6:11 PM
Here is a picture with the third coyote of the day. We blanked on the next stand and then headed home. It was a great day, we helped the rancher and got 3 coyotes and some pictures.

Eric Mayer
12-31-2010, 6:14 PM
Nice shooting and great action shots!

Eric :cool:

12-31-2010, 6:24 PM
This is Wes again. Here is my take of the day.

On that first call, we knew the coyotes were probably going to come from that way, so I kept an eye out. It only was about two minutes into the call I glanced back over to the right and I just kept seeing movement every where! I finally figured out I was looking at four coyotes trotting in about 200 yards away. One coyote was on the other side of the ditch being awfully cautious. The other three were on our side of the ditch and about 100 yards out they kind of slowed down. I thought they were evaluating whether they really wanted to come the rest of the way or not.

Then two of them put their heads down and started racing for the call. Honestly it was kind of an overwhelming call! I couldn't figure out which coyote to cover. I ended up figuring my dad would get the first two so I tried to stay on the third one that was in range and see if I could get a shot on him. Well I am constantly shifting my eyes from the coyotes heading in and the coyote I am trying to get in my scope and now I am realizing my dad isn't shooting.

I look back over and the one coyote is standing there broadside staring at the call and I started to think maybe my dad doesn't see them. Then he shoots. I look back to my right to see if I can track the out of shotgun range one. I check back to my left and see my dad hammer the other one quite a ways out. I look back to my right and watch the third coyote run right on out of sight like he knew what was up. I never did see the fourth one again.

Seriously, for those of you who aren't taking a shotgun along on wide open calls, you need to. We might have only gotten one of those coyotes with a rifle only. Four coyotes came in and I didn't shoot at a single one with the rifle.

On the last coyote, the call had probably only been going 4 minutes or so. I really only had one spot I could watch that was in range as we were on the side of a pretty steep hill. Like magic, a coyote appears just standing there looking over towards me and the decoy flopping around. I waited for about two seconds, maybe three, but it seemed like an eternity. I knew we were wanting to get photos, but I wasn't sure how long he had been staring at the call (probably no more than 10 seconds) and he was in a position if he turned and ran, he would be out of sight possibly before I could get up and get a shot.

So I sat up. The stand before dad had told me if I could wait a few seconds before shooting so he could get some photos. So I pointed my shotgun at the coyote and held it there for about an hour. Well it felt like an hour, but it was probably about three seconds, maybe four. I shot once, the coyote flopped onto his back, I shot once more. I started to reload and dad said shoot him one more time since he was still struggling over there, so I shot him one final time.

I tell you what, DerbyAcresBob really makes this camera action look easy, but man I am surprised he got that good of photos on this one. The whole thing happened so fast I didn't think he could have possibly gotten on the coyote, and snapped off any photos in time. He really is that good. He doesn't let me use the camera much anymore because they time I tried to photo him getting one, they were all blurry.

Not a bad way to end 2010.

12-31-2010, 6:33 PM
great job! I have had no time to get out this week at all.

12-31-2010, 6:46 PM
Great photos. Are those full size, or do you have larger photos? The fifth photo looks like the coyote is having words with the shooter.

12-31-2010, 6:49 PM
Awesome pictures.

I hope you made good use of that fresh coyote meat! :)

G-Man WC
12-31-2010, 7:15 PM
Nice action photo's. Dog's down;) -g

12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a very productive day. Nice shooting.

Big Jake
01-01-2011, 1:03 PM
Great pics brother. Awsome day!

01-01-2011, 1:54 PM
Great write up & pics.
Thanks for sharing.

01-01-2011, 6:37 PM
good job you may have saved a fawn

01-01-2011, 7:42 PM
Kewl shots. I've shot coyotes with my Hevi Shot turkey loads and it flat stones them. Luv that stuff.

01-02-2011, 3:23 PM

01-02-2011, 3:55 PM
That is good stuff right there Wes. I think I will take Amber's Nikon DSLR out one of these time and try that. Are you (your dad) using the multi shot feature of the camera? I think he uses a Cannon?

Take care,Stan

If by multi-shot you mean when he holds on the button and it sounds like it is going full auto, then yes. I remember the first time I took a picture with it: I actually took three.

Yeah there is no way he could have gotten those shots pushing the button each time. It really all went down in probably less than 7 seconds.

01-02-2011, 4:28 PM

01-03-2011, 8:54 AM
Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing!

01-03-2011, 9:02 AM
Great hunt and photos, thanks for sharing.

Great photos. Are those full size, or do you have larger photos? The fifth photo looks like the coyote is having words with the shooter.

Yeah, it looks like he's fighting the shoot to me too, sometimes they drop after that.