PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Home Depot Sentry Safe

insin
08-01-2006, 3:46 AM
Im about to drop the cash on the Sentry Gun Safe for sale over at Home depot some time this week when I can get a truck over there to pick it up. Before I do though I wanted to get confirmation that this safe is still considered a quality product by those that have one.

Also how many of my AR/Ak's can I "actually" fit comfortably inside without them being all piled on top of each other? I know they advirtise 14, but when I opened it at the store, there is no way 14 ARs are gonna fit in there without some scuffing.

Thanks

Diabolus
08-01-2006, 5:38 AM
I went to look at a Sentry this weekend and decided to spend my money on a quality Cannon C15 safe. You get what you pay for and the Cannon warranty is fantastic and made in the USA.

insin
08-01-2006, 6:52 AM
Yeah, I have been thinking about the same thing. Costco has a Cannon for sale in some of its stores for $699 I believe. I still dont know the exacy model, however I have been debating which route to go.

shonc99
08-01-2006, 7:05 AM
I bought a Cannon C23 and am VERY pleased with it. :D It was actually a scratch and dent model, $100 off the regular price. :D (The scratch is 1/4 by 1/2 on the side) If you plan on getting any more firearms or storing anything else like ammo, powder etc. you may want to invest in a bigger model. They seem to shrink pretty quick. The brochure said I could fit 12 rifles on a side. YEAH RIGHT, 12 regular rifles without a scope. Also, consider if you can bolt it to the ground and if there is a hole in the back for an electrical cord for a goldenrod or light.

grammaton76
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I've got a Sentry. While it works great for most C&R type rifles, the angled buttstocks and swelled handguards on ARs play hell with trying to get 'em to fit into the safe. In order to get them to rest against the channels on the side, you have to either:

1. Get a wedge of some sort to put on the bottom so the stocks have angles to rest in.
2. Let them stick so far forward that they intrude into the center area of the safe.

There's another option of course, you could get creative with some kind of restraining loop on the barrel notches.

Oh yeah, and the pistol grips love to protrude into the center area too.

Shane916
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I know they advirtise 14, but when I opened it at the store, there is no way 14 ARs are gonna fit in there without some scuffing.

Maybe they forgot to mention that's 14 stripped AR lowers that will fit without any scuffing ;)

snafu510
08-01-2006, 8:04 PM
I have the Home Depot model. I have a tight space in the back of a closet upstairs that it fits in well. Even 14 unscoped guns wouldn't fit in it though. Any gun with a scope counts as 2 or 2 1/2. I think I can probably work 8 or so in there if I really let them get to know each other. Quality seems okay to me for what I paid. If you have the space get a bigger one.

Robf
08-02-2006, 8:54 PM
Friend has the Home Depot safe. It's nice but as others have said, it's much smaller than 14 guns. Still a good buy.

Yeah, I have been thinking about the same thing. Costco has a Cannon for sale in some of its stores for $699 I believe. I still dont know the exacy model, however I have been debating which route to go.

Which Costco is this? I'm interested in a Cannon safe for $700.

Rob

xenophobe
08-03-2006, 1:10 AM
I have a Home Depot Sentry. It was cheap and fit the exact size requirement I had with very little room to spare.

I have 2AKs, a Dragunov, PSL, 2 ARs, M1A, G3, UMP, BM-59... and two complete lowers strapped to the door. That's all that it will fit. So 10 AWs tightly arrainged.

Oh, and the little lock box can hold a whole bunch of stripped lowers ;) And the shelf next to it holds my binoculars nicely.

Cato
08-07-2006, 9:19 PM
I have a Home Depot Sentry. It was cheap and fit the exact size requirement I had with very little room to spare.

I have 2AKs, a Dragunov, PSL, 2 ARs, M1A, G3, UMP, BM-59... and two complete lowers strapped to the door. That's all that it will fit. So 10 AWs tightly arrainged.

Oh, and the little lock box can hold a whole bunch of stripped lowers ;) And the shelf next to it holds my binoculars nicely.

__________________________________________________ _________
How'd you get an UMP in California? Are they legal?

dawson8r
08-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I bought a Sentry from Costco about a year ago. Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11043012&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

I've got 2 SKS's, a shotgun, a 22 rifle, and 3 "battle rifles" in it. Probably room for another 4 - 5 rifles. I configured it with about a 10" shelf on top for a couple handguns, mags, papers, coins, etc.

When I bought this it was $300 off. I paid $850 after tax and all. It has holes in the bottom. A friend with a hammer drill put some holes throught the slab of my garage. Squeezed in some concrete anchor epoxy and some threadbar and that sucker ain't going nowhere.

xenophobe
08-09-2006, 11:13 PM
__________________________________________________ _________
How'd you get an UMP in California? Are they legal?

Sorry, didn't see this until now...

I bought one of these in 1999:

http://members.cox.net/felt1/usc1a.jpg

Late last year, I sent it to Jeff at TacticalExcellence.com with some parts, and he sent me back this:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6229/teump240ty.jpg

And I bought the LEO only mags for $200 each before the ban. Ouch.

Cato
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry, didn't see this until now...

I bought one of these in 1999:

http://members.cox.net/felt1/usc1a.jpg

Late last year, I sent it to Jeff at TacticalExcellence.com with some parts, and he sent me back this:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6229/teump240ty.jpg

And I bought the LEO only mags for $200 each before the ban. Ouch.

xenophobe
08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
They were imported around October of 1999.

lazyman
09-12-2006, 9:11 AM
my buddy picked up a USC as well. did your USC have the recall done with the charging handle??

vlsgmc
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
You might want to look around for a local safe dealer. At the last Crossroads gun show in San Diego (last weekend) there was a local dealer that had the Cannon C15 for something like $550 gun show price. He doesn't have a storefront but if you call him and tell him what you want, he arranges a time for you to pick it up at a warehouse. S&G dial or pushbutton combo, same price.

Fjold
10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
You might want to look around for a local safe dealer. At the last Crossroads gun show in San Diego (last weekend) there was a local dealer that had the Cannon C15 for something like $550 gun show price. He doesn't have a storefront but if you call him and tell him what you want, he arranges a time for you to pick it up at a warehouse. S&G dial or pushbutton combo, same price.

Did you realize that the thread you're replying to is over a year old?

Also, it would help to list the name of the dealer, or else people will have to call every safe company in San Diego to find it.

vlsgmc
10-11-2007, 8:12 PM
Didn't notice how old it was but it didn't matter. Just thought the info I had was worth sharing. I did notice that a lot of replies mentioned locations NOT in the San Diego area, that's why I didn't mention the name of the dealer. I figured that if anyone was interested, they would ask. I joined CALGUNS just recently but found this thread through a search for Cannon C15.

DIG
10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Im about to drop the cash on the Sentry Gun Safe for sale over at Home depot some time this week when I can get a truck over there to pick it up. Before I do though I wanted to get confirmation that this safe is still considered a quality product by those that have one.

Also how many of my AR/Ak's can I "actually" fit comfortably inside without them being all piled on top of each other? I know they advirtise 14, but when I opened it at the store, there is no way 14 ARs are gonna fit in there without some scuffing.

Thanks

I always take the manufacturers count and divide in half. If they advertise 14-gun, it'll fit 7 comfortably. If you have 14 Rem870's you're ok but AR's/Ak's/anything with a scope/pistol grip/picatinny goodies take up lots of space. I guess the bottom line is to buy bigger than you think you need because a few months later you'll be wishing you went for that 24 or 36-gun safe.;)

odysseus
10-12-2007, 1:06 PM
I guess the bottom line is to buy bigger than you think you need because a few months later you'll be wishing you went for that 24 or 36-gun safe.;)

Another bottom line to think of is what kind of "safe" you are buying and what the value of what you are putting in there is, versus how much you are investing in security, aka $300 Sentry safe's length of time to hold off a brute force attack guarding $10,000 worth of firearms.

KenSFO
10-12-2007, 9:14 PM
I do warranty jobs for Cannon and LaGard. Most customers that I meet are very happy with Cannon's warranty policies, even when the cause of the lock-out may not actually be a warranty issue. I've even seen Cannon cover safes that were out of warranty.

I wish Cannon had one or two models with better fire and burglary ratings. Many of my customers have very expensive collections and need maximum protection. I might even be able to sell a few Cannons if they had a high-end TL-15 model with 2-hr fire.

http://www.advancedsafe.com/JPEGs/modulX_sizes.jpg

KenSFO

I went to look at a Sentry this weekend and decided to spend my money on a quality Cannon C15 safe. You get what you pay for and the Cannon warranty is fantastic and made in the USA.

socalsteve
10-12-2007, 9:15 PM
Just in case anyone is still interested in buying a safe.

Deans Security Safe Co. (www.deansafe.com) is having a scratch & Dent sale tomorrow at their warehouse location its in the San Fernando Valley North of Van Nuys --- 12990 Branfrd at the 5 freeway --- I don't work for them but I bought a safe from them and they have a big selection --- so much that it took me another two weeks to make uo my mind:).

I checked a long time and their prices are very competitive.

I ended up buying a used safe but they have a lot.

The post card they sent me says that the National Sales Mgr of Cannon Safe co. is going to be there FWIW.