PDA

View Full Version : Ok fellas poss. Dumb question about 642 finish...

WILDMAN442
12-31-2010, 6:00 PM
I carry my 642 in an ankle holster for work (LEO) and have noticed some of the barrel starting to polish from rubbing on the leather on my boot...

Is it possible to polish the finish of the 642 with a mothers aluminum polish?

Just kind of curious....

Thanks fellas

Justin

Trapper
12-31-2010, 6:33 PM
Yes, the finish in the 642 frame will polish off but the cylinder and barrel are stainless steel and should be fine. My 642 has alot of wear in the back of the frame.

RTE
12-31-2010, 6:35 PM
642 is like a glass beaded aluminum finish maybe has an anodized coating.

I have found most everything can be polished,but I ran across a 640sc on GunBroker that somone had glass bead blasted to take the finish off of.....after the price got too high I asked a local gunsmith about it being bead blasted and he was under the impression that the 640sc had a hard cast coating and said the finish durability would suffer if bead blasted.

Mickey D
01-01-2011, 9:33 AM
FYI, the finish on the aluminum frame is a laquer finish. Do not allow long exposure to cleaning solvents, as this will tend to cause the finish to flake or be removed.

Blademan21
01-01-2011, 9:53 AM
My 642's finish started to flake off at the backstrap. I took it to a shop that uses baking soda to remove paint from custom and antique cars. The baking soda can remove paint from a beer can without cutting into it. After it was blasted I took Mothers Polish and polished the barrel, cylinder, cylinder release and trigger. I wanted to speed up the flaking process some and it worked. Over time that finish will come off as Mickey D said.

Mickey D
01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
My 642's finish started to flake off at the backstrap. I took it to a shop that uses baking soda to remove paint from custom and antique cars. The baking soda can remove paint from a beer can without cutting into it. After it was blasted I took Mothers Polish and polished the barrel, cylinder, cylinder release and trigger. I wanted to speed up the flaking process some and it worked. Over time that finish will come off as Mickey D said.

Still lovin' that 696! Thanks again.

Miss it?