PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else's iPhone tried to kill them yet?

killmime1234
12-31-2010, 6:43 PM
I was driving to a hotel tonight for new years and the mapquest app on my iPhone tried to convince me to make a u-turn in the middle of a divided freeway!

The voice told me to get on the freeway so I did. Then, about four miles down the freeway it told me to "prepare to make a u-turn in xx yards." I got to the spot that was xx yards away and it told me "make a u-turn now." there was nothing there but cement divider.

So, I'm curious. Has anyone else's iPhone (or any phone) tried to terminate their master?

SikDMAX
12-31-2010, 6:44 PM
Haha... no bueno!

Which program are you using? As far as I know, the stock mapping doesn't have voice function?

killmime1234
12-31-2010, 6:56 PM
Haha... no bueno!

Which program are you using? As far as I know, the stock mapping doesn't have voice function?

It's not the stock one. It's mapquest's free one. It usually works very well. This one single time was a funny, albeit dangerous anomaly.

Lancear15
12-31-2010, 6:59 PM
Use Google FTW

Helpful_Cub
12-31-2010, 7:14 PM
Honestly my iPhone always seems to be unstable at those critical moments. Like if Google Maps crashes (and it does from time to time) it takes a good 30 seconds for it to restart and you better not be using the music feature at the same time or else it gets really pissy. That's one reason I use a Garmin GPS for navigation and only use my iPhone for internet related things such as finding the address of a store and possibly calling it to check store hours.

Super Spy
12-31-2010, 7:31 PM
I think someone hacked your phone and uploaded one of those zombie attack programs......Nah just BS'ing you, but it would be a good movie plot.

Just to see if I can open a can of worms let me add that my Android phone with Google Maps doesn't try and kill me....

webster223
12-31-2010, 7:58 PM
Didn't that happen in The Net? Someone hacked the car GPS and sent a driver to her death.

tankerman
12-31-2010, 10:10 PM
People still use MapQuest? I gave up on the 5 years ago after following their directions down a road to nowhere that didn't go through.

REDHORSE
12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Navigon FTW

Joe
12-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Reminds me of when Michael Scott drove into the lake

NSR500
01-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Nope... I don't follow GPS directions to a tee.

guns4life
01-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Just to see if I can open a can of worms let me add that my Android phone with Google Maps doesn't try and kill me....

Only because it's no smart enough. IPhone knows what IPhone wants...and it's gonna get it. It's only a matter of time OP... ;)

Ducman
01-01-2011, 1:17 AM
It's mapquest's free one. .

That's why...:D

berto
01-01-2011, 3:14 AM
Not yet but the stock map and direction program almost made me kill my iphone. Time to pay for a real program.

Navigon? Or something else?

Eljay
01-01-2011, 9:56 PM
No, but my Garmin once tried to send me through a nuclear testing area...

lorax3
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Reminds me of when Michael Scott drove into the lake

Ha! Thought of the same thing.

No issues with my iPhone, but I always use native map application.

stphnman20
01-01-2011, 10:07 PM
What app where you using?

FreedomIsNotFree
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
The Google Navigation Application is hands down the best. Audible turn by turn directions as well voice search is amazing. And its free on Android devices.

brassburnz
01-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I used the free navigation feature on my Sprint Blackberry for the first time today. I got to where I was going. It might have been the most direct route, but after I got there, I'm sure there was a quicker route just because I used so many side streets. It was a 40 mile trip one way. On the way home I used a different route and it was definitely quicker.

For $5 a month there's an upgraded navigation program. Don't know if it's worth it or not.

MontClaire
01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
It's not the stock one. It's mapquest's free one. It usually works very well. This one single time was a funny, albeit dangerous anomaly.

there is yo problem dawg. microsoft's mapquest ( read bill fn gates ) hates steve jobs, read( apple, iphone ). coinsidence?

Merc1138
01-04-2011, 12:40 AM
there is yo problem dawg. microsoft's mapquest ( read bill fn gates ) hates steve jobs, read( apple, iphone ). coinsidence?

No.

There are other map services and GPS devices that have had the same kind of issues over the years, this isn't something new.

IntoForever
01-04-2011, 1:12 AM
Never had a problem with my iphone and native google GPS. I think it knows I won't hesitate to shoot it at the first screw up.

high_revs
01-04-2011, 9:33 AM
Nope... I don't follow GPS directions to a tee.

same here... i usually double check against another source (google maps) prior to leaving to get a "feel" for the area. but yeah, not all GPS devices are 100% accurate.

Uhhlexxxis
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I once had someone claim their navigation system was the reason they went head on with a car that nearly killed two people. "My GPS told me to veer left, so I did" which meant, go into the oncoming lane...?

ughhhh