PDA

View Full Version : Not eligible for firearms ownership?

FourTenJaeger
12-31-2010, 3:40 PM
I have a friend of mine who is turning 18, Soon. When he was younger he had a photo of himself and a firearm up on a social networking website. He had some angry posts, But NOTHING directed at anyone or anything. Someone at his school got calls about him threatening a ''massacre'', BUT nothing of the such was ever stated, period. And he was taken in. The school overpercieved this and filed a police report, But no arrests was ever made, nor was it ever taken before a court, judge, or anything at all. Is my friend a prohibited person, or not? If he is, Can he get his rights restored?

MSO4
12-31-2010, 3:42 PM
So he has no felony, and it sounds like he was never diagnosed with a mental illness...I say he's probably good to go. Only one way to find out for sure, however.

FourTenJaeger
12-31-2010, 3:46 PM
Never been arrested, or anything at all. That was his only ''Disciplinary'' ever in school. The photo wasnt even anything threatening. Im just supposing it was blown out of proportion because it happened in California and the firearm was an ''Evil black rifle"

safewaysecurity
12-31-2010, 3:47 PM
Schools take things wayy to seriously... I made a post on the internet and told people to spam an email account that belonged to a teacher i didn't like and called him a "b*tch" and so the school found at and there was an officer who even said he was going to arrest me but didn't because " I was such a nice kid ". He will be fine. Once you turn 18 your record is basically cleared anyway and he wasn't taken in front of a judge.

CHS
12-31-2010, 3:49 PM
If he hasn't been convicted of anything, then he's fine. The background check doesn't care about arrests, even felony arrests, just convictions.

CHS
12-31-2010, 3:50 PM
Once you turn 18 your record is basically cleared anyway and he wasn't taken in front of a judge.

Uhh, no. They TELL you that, but that's not true at all. A background check will bring up everything, even stuff before you were 18.

robcoe
12-31-2010, 3:56 PM
I have a friend of mine who is turning 18, Soon. When he was younger he had a photo of himself and a firearm up on a social networking website. He had some angry posts, But NOTHING directed at anyone or anything. Someone at his school got calls about him threatening a ''massacre'', BUT nothing of the such was ever stated, period. And he was taken in. The school overpercieved this and filed a police report, But no arrests was ever made, nor was it ever taken before a court, judge, or anything at all. Is my friend a prohibited person, or not? If he is, Can he get his rights restored?

No arrest, no conviction, not prohibited

As a side note, when did this stuff start happening? When I was in highschool(not that long ago, I graduated in 01) my friends and I would always talk about where we were going shooting later or what the latest gun we got to try was, now it seems you even think about a gun and you get hauled off.

CSDGuy
12-31-2010, 4:03 PM
A Background check WILL show any arrests made, and what for. If any arrests would result in being prohibited, even if no charges were ever filed or the charges were dropped, the DOJ will want the dispo or they'll assume he's prohibited and deny any transfers until that's cleared up.

FourTenJaeger
12-31-2010, 4:04 PM
No arrest, no conviction, not prohibited

As a side note, when did this stuff start happening? When I was in highschool(not that long ago, I graduated in 01) my friends and I would always talk about where we were going shooting later or what the latest gun we got to try was, now it seems you even think about a gun and you get hauled off.

Happened in early '09. He's 17 now, 18 in August.

Burbur
12-31-2010, 4:55 PM
I was in high school when the GFSZ Act was reestablished, and the principal came to a group of us and told us we couldn't bring guns to school anymore. The past 15 years have seen a lot of changes...

papafloyd
12-31-2010, 10:44 PM
My son was arrested about 13 yrs back when he was 17 for theft at a Pepboys. They tried to charge them with a felony burglary initially but it was dropped to a misdemeanor theft. He is now agreat father of 8, a devoted family man. When he recently tried to purchase a handgun he was denied. When contacted the Don they told him he was charged with a felony and wasn't allowed to purchase a firearm, when he explained that the charge was dropped to a misdemeanor they still denied him but did tell him how to take care of it.

cbn620
01-01-2011, 3:32 AM
No arrests/convictions is a good sign. The only other thing is you said he was "taken in." How old was he and was he taken in on a 5150? Even if he wasn't, did they mistakenly file a 5150 during any evaluation he was given? It's happened to a few people who've posted on Calguns. The reason I mention this is because though 5150s do not cause a permanent prohibition, they do cause a five-year suspension of your rights and you will be added to a database that shows up on background checks and will fail DROS and be refused purchase if you attempt to buy a firearm.

GrizzlyGuy
01-01-2011, 8:35 AM
He should not be prohibited based on what you described. If he wants to find out for sure, see here in the FAQ:

How can I find out if I'm eligible to purchase or possess a firearm? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_find_out_if_I.27m_eligible_to_purcha se_or_possess_a_firearm.3F)

The $20 fee (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pfecfaqs.php#7) is probably worth the peace of mind he will receive.