PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 barrels. mine sucks im pissed

biggyfan1
12-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Guys i have a ruger 10/22 and i put a stainless steel Green Mountain barrel on it and it SUCKS!!!! If and when it does fire a round it does not eject the casing. The rounds it doesnt fire i take out and look at the rim of the casing and it looks like a very week contact. so i changed the firing pin, changed the extractor and springs. STILL SUCKS, SAME PROBLEMS. i put the stock barrel in and pop pop pop pop works great. WTF does anyone know why a berrel would cause this. its going in the trash. What barrel should i get now? i need a .920 so it will fit in my boyds stock.

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds like the chamber was cut too deep causing excessive headspacing. Why don't you contact GM and see if they'll fix or replace it for you?

biggyfan1
12-31-2010, 12:54 PM
well because i bought this JUNK barrel from my friend about 1 year ago. He was having the same issues so i thought mmmmmm i bet i can get it to work in my gun with new extractor and pin. I didnt think that the barrel was the problem. But like i said, i toss on my 15year old stock barrel and bang bang bang. Whats a good little plinking barrel thats not gonna break my bank?

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 1:04 PM
KIDD 20" Target barrel has been my fav so far. Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions are just bling bling overpriced junk. Never had a problem with Ruger's T model heavy barrel. You might try posting a WTB in the parts forum for one. A new or used take off won't break the bank and it will go bang bang.

MongooseV8
12-31-2010, 5:19 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but GM barrels have a ton of positive reports. I would call GM and see if/what they can do for you. I just bought a 16" fluted GM and I expect it to preform very well, but not the best.

screaming_spool
12-31-2010, 5:36 PM
ill give you 10 bucks for it

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 5:40 PM
ill give you 10 bucks for it
Is that a slap in the face, serious offer, or both? :D

BamBam-31
12-31-2010, 5:53 PM
Did you try different ammo? IIRC, GM barrels have tight chambers. Mine was extremely accurate and completely reliable with Wolf ammo. My TacSol barrel is also very reliable but slightly less accurate. I wouldn't call either "junk."

swifty
12-31-2010, 6:04 PM
Sounds like the chamber was cut too deep causing excessive headspacing. Why don't you contact GM and see if they'll fix or replace it for you?

You're being silly, you know this is a rimmed case:D. +1 on contacting GM.

Headspace is controlled by the bolt face, as long as the bolt is "bottomed out" against the breech end of the barrel. Make sure the recesses in the bolt face are clean as well as the extractor notch. Check the length of the turned down section of the barrel and compare it to the old barrel, variations can change how the hammer hits the firing pin. There might be a slight burr at the chamber mouth that can be polished out. Make sure that the cartridge is physically able to be seated in the chamber, not a miss-marked .22short. The extractor groove in the barrel may be too shallow.

sequoia_nomad
12-31-2010, 6:06 PM
+1 for try different ammo. Whatever you do, don't throw it away, someone can do something with it. Maybe you can sell it to one of the guys on the other thread that hate factory 10/22s :D

TKM
12-31-2010, 6:39 PM
You don't have a single post indicating that you you know which end is up.

Contact the manufacturer and let their customer service people service the customer.

If you are not satisfied with the result, let us know.

CSDGuy
12-31-2010, 7:21 PM
This actually could be a case where the bolt is going as far forward into battery as it can and it's still not close enough to the breechface to allow the firing pin to strike the cartridge rim hard enough to ignite the primer. In effect, it's got toO much headspace, even though the cartridge is seated properly in the chamber.

My guess is that the whole breechface was milled a little too far out of spec, causing the firing problems you're seeing.

swifty
12-31-2010, 7:28 PM
But everything works fine with the original barrel, it's the new barrel that is the component having problems.

HotRod9mm
12-31-2010, 7:31 PM
Sounds like the extractor groove is not cut deep enough(seen it before). Compare it to the factory barrel, it can be easily fixed with a small file and a couple minutes time. The other thing to check is the extractor-to-bolt alignment, if its off the least little bit it wont grab the rim.

Spyder
12-31-2010, 7:43 PM
A good plinking barrel? ...the original 10/22 barrel that was on the rifle!

12-31-2010, 7:49 PM
Check out this site - - Let him fix it for you the right way. Much of the time it is the chamber that is the issue, and not the barrel. He worked over my
10-22T, and it shoots 1/2 inch groups all day long with a variety of ammunition at the 50 yr. line. I didn't change out a single factory item. No need for after market stuff when you can get the original factory parts tuned correctly.

http://www.ct-precision.com/

G-Man WC
12-31-2010, 8:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not sure how much more accurate you can get with a semi auto aftermarket barrel over the orig Ruger in 22LR. Are you going for function or accuracy?
A good case to get a bolt gun in 22LR IMO. -g

Viper49
01-01-2011, 8:45 AM
biggfan1
you need to Measure the length of the factory barrel shank that goes into the receiver from the rear face to the barbe about 0.750 inches, plus or minus 0.005 inch. Measure the length of the barrel shank on the new barrel to see that it is within this tolerance range. The shank diameter of the factory barrel runs around 11/16 inch or 0.6875. The new barrel should be as near this dimension as possible, unless the original barrel was sloppily fit. This might tell you is the GM barrel is out of spec. Then you can contact GM for a possible fix.

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2011, 8:49 AM
biggyfan1,

It's a lot easier to figure things like this out in person. If you post your location, someone here may step up and meet you somewhere to look at it.

kkd
01-01-2011, 9:25 AM
Check out this site - - Let him fix it for you the right way.

http://www.ct-precision.com/

I have to agree with this advice.

Randy at CTC is simply Amazing in what he can do!

He can rechamber your stock barrel to shoot better than most, if not all (seriously!), aftermarket Match barrels or he can straighten out your GM to shoot the way it is supposed to.
Randy straightened out a Shillen .22 barrel for me. It was a turd before he got his hands on it, now it's a tack driver.

He is not pricey either. Great guy to talk to.

trob
01-01-2011, 9:39 AM

thats what it sounds like to me. Contact GM. I remember they had a run of incorrect chambers cut about a year and a half ago. They will fix the problem if there is one.

Also, I was getting a weak primer strike from a weak hammer spring. Might want to try that if it isnt the barrel.

yelohamr
01-01-2011, 2:28 PM
http://www.tacticalinc.com/1022-barrels-c-610.html?infoBox=1

I bought a 1:9 barrel for Aquila 60 grain .22 LR SniperSubSonic ammo. Works great with all types of .22LR I've used.

Spdjunkie
01-01-2011, 2:39 PM
IMHO: As stated call Green Mountain & go from there. If it is the GM barrel, GM will make it right.

Ammo: Cheaper/Bulk = More duds; More $/Target = Less Duds better/consistent priming compound.
* If you want it to sing, give Wolf Match Target/SK Standard + a shot, . . . . . . CCI .22lr is GTG as well, NON-Hyper Crap

fwiw: Make sure you have that extractor groove aligned properly and its not interfering with the bolts operation, extractor hitting edge before camming in. Could cause light strikes if the hammer has to push the bolt forward due to the extractor being hanged up.

btw: If you are going to throw the GM barrel in the trash. Please throw it in mine . :D

Have a great one

biggyfan1
01-01-2011, 6:50 PM
Yes im useing bulk ammo. And at this point the barrel is not accurate or functioning so im willing to take functioning over anything right now lol. I live in Victorville so if any of you guys are close let me know and you can take the gun and check it out. Like i said this barrel has done this on 2 different guns. One gun was brand new and then there is my gun that is over 10 years old so its not a dirty gun or a weak spring. I also said in my post that i replaced the springs and pin. And like i said, if i put the stock barrel on it will fire an entire bulk ammo box with out one problem. This is the gun. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/biggyfan1/ruger1022.jpg

Sunday
01-01-2011, 6:57 PM
Have you tried different ammo? Does the barrel have a tight match type chamber cut?

screaming_spool
01-01-2011, 7:02 PM
Is that a slap in the face, serious offer, or both? :D

he stated it was going in the trash

DirtNapKing
01-01-2011, 7:33 PM
he stated it was going in the trashI missed that part. :D

Merc1138
01-01-2011, 9:29 PM
I don't understand why this guy won't just contact the barrel manufacturer already :rolleyes:

biggyfan1
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Because if you read my posts i already said that i bought this barrel from my friend who bought the barrel from GM. And its been like 10 months im just putting the barrel on with my new boyds stock. The factory stock does not accept the .920 barrel. SOOOO merc1138 how should i ask GM? should it be the long sob story about how it didn't work on my friends gun and i thought i was gonna get a great deal and it would work on mine but it didn't. Then i will toss in there that this was 10 months ago and im just finding out that it doesn't work sooooo please please send me a new one>>>..... most answers on here have been very helpful with out calling the company and making a fool of myself.

GUNNTZ
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I agree with most who have pointed this out to be a extractor groove issue. I have seen this exact issue a couple of times with some aftermarket barrels for the 10/22. If I'm up in the area sometime soon I can take a look at it. Hell I even have a spare adams and bennet barrel we could test/measure against. However, I would seriously try to contact green mountain; they are very reasonable when it comes to warranty issues. If you check out their policy, all it says is to call them for a RMA and send it UPS with a detailed letter of the issue.

lockpicker70
01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
even though you were not the orig buyer , GM , may / may not fully warrenty it . I Have a Leoupold scope I bought used , sent it in for repairs , fully covered . I also have a Taurus that has a cracked frame . Talked to rep . was told to ship it to them . If not repairable , replacement would be next step . I bought it used also . they have a rep to keep up . Just give them a call . You may / will have to pay shipping there but thats with most returns .

All they can do is say " No " . But they might also send you a new bbl .

50BMGBOB
01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I have a GM barrel that worked fine with match ammo but ran like crap with cheap ammo. The bentz chamber was so tight that the rounds would not seat 100% all the time and that caused light firing pin strikes as the rim wasn't set tight to the barrel face. Also the extactor hard a hard time. I rechambered it to a standard 22LR chamber with a reamer I had. It works great now with all ammo. Still groups really well too.

biggyfan1
01-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Check out the pictures i took. The stock barrel is non beveled and the GM is beveled at the opening. and look at how the GM barrel lets less rim of the bullet revel. Guys can this be the issue?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/biggyfan1/1022barrel1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/biggyfan1/1022barrel.jpg

DirtNapKing
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
On a serious note after reviewing the photo you just posted I would def. contact GM. It's worth a shot. You firing pin is swatin at flys. You can have the bolt face cleaned up a smidge and that will also put you back in business with your GM barrel.

Spdjunkie
01-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Yes, I can see why this would cause light strikes.
Ruger 10/22 firing pin is limited in its travel, limited FP protrusion . . . . .

So, if the bevel around the chamber was excessively deep/wide:
- the firing pin could not contact the rim with proper force/depth
- the head space would be excessive.
- the cartridge would seat to deep

Extraction:
- Fired cartridge would get wedged into that chamfer/bevel.
- Cartridge seated that deep would not show enough rim purchase for the extractor to snap onto.
- Extractor would just nick the rim or rim seated past the extractor

IMHO: Call the nice folks at Green Mountain & all should be GTG.

railroader
01-02-2011, 7:40 AM
I agree call green mountain. You could forward them pics too if they want. Mark

GUNNTZ
01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Check out the pictures i took. The stock barrel is non beveled and the GM is beveled at the opening. and look at how the GM barrel lets less rim of the bullet revel. Guys can this be the issue?

The extractor will have a hell of a time catching the rim when it does fire the round. Definitely include these pictures when you send it back. That's just stupid and/or bad machining.

Retzius
01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Ironically, the most accurate and trouble free barrel on my 10/22 is the stock pencil thin one that came with it.

CSACANNONEER
01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/biggyfan1/ruger1022.jpg

I think I figured out your problem. Your stock is bass ackwards! :p

Here's one of mine:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/007-1.jpg

CSACANNONEER
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM

BTW, that is exactly what I thought was happening. I'm willing to bet that is causing a headspace problem.

TKM
01-02-2011, 12:58 PM
No manufacturer would do that to a chamber.

Did your buddy do a little Dremel work before he sold you the barrel?

biggyfan1
01-02-2011, 1:00 PM
Im going to call them tmorrow and see what they say. Maybe i can even Email them the pictures and see if they think its something they want to fix for me before i waste more money shipping it to them. If it looks like they beveled it to deep to most of you then im sure its beveled to deep. Im going to let you all know what they say.

biggyfan1
01-02-2011, 1:03 PM
No he didnt touch it. Thats how it came. maybe someone on calguns has the same barrel and can take a look at there's to match it up and see if there's has a bevel.

CSACANNONEER
01-02-2011, 1:19 PM

My Ruger .920 barrel has a smaller chamfer on it. So, even Ruger does it. The OP's is just too deep.

biggyfan1
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok guys this is the story. I called GM and talked to a very very nice guy named Dennis. He is paying for the shipping and going to fix the barrel 100% free. He said that there was an issue about 1 year ago with these barrels and they did bevel them to deep and they are trying to have everyone who is unhappy send them back. He sent me a shipping label and UPS is going to pick up the package at my door step. Seems like a real nice guy and a damn honest place. Its going to take 3 weeks but thats ok. He told me to tell all of you that if you have one of his barrels and you don't like it to call him and let him know whats up because he wants everyone to be very happy with his stuff.

Merc1138
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Ok guys this is the story. I called GM and talked to a very very nice guy named Dennis. He is paying for the shipping and going to fix the barrel 100% free. He said that there was an issue about 1 year ago with these barrels and they did bevel them to deep and they are trying to have everyone who is unhappy send them back. He sent me a shipping label and UPS is going to pick up the package at my door step. Seems like a real nice guy and a damn honest place. Its going to take 3 weeks but thats ok. He told me to tell all of you that if you have one of his barrels and you don't like it to call him and let him know whats up because he wants everyone to be very happy with his stuff.

See? This is why we were telling you to just give the manufacturer a call. You should always give the manufacturer a call if something comes up. The worst they can do is tell you "no" and if their customer service is reasonable, they'll try to do something to make it right(unless they have some explicit policy that warranties apply to the original owner only or something).

Next time just call before freaking out :p

GUNNTZ
01-03-2011, 1:13 PM
That's excellent news!! Just goes to show everyone what a good company they are and that they take responsibility for their production issues. When you get it back from them post up your end results and a range report.

Noah3683
01-03-2011, 1:21 PM

Ignorant comment if I've ever seen one. I had the exact same issue a little over a year ago. They replaced it and stated a bad batch had gotten through. Great customer service, but to say no manufacturers do these kinds of things is retarded

Quickdraw Mcgraw
01-03-2011, 1:54 PM
Green Mountian has good customes service...I too had ta send one back to em and when I got it back it shot like a dream...jus wait!!

dg29
01-03-2011, 6:25 PM
When you receive the barrel back from GM do yourself a favor and shoot some decent ammo through it. Try out various brands and do not shoot stingers out of the match chamber. The 22lr. barrels are finicky and when you find the ammo that it likes you'll know it.
Props to Green Mountain!

pnkssbtz
01-03-2011, 7:35 PM
KIDD 20" Target barrel has been my fav so far. Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions are just bling bling overpriced junk. Never had a problem with Ruger's T model heavy barrel. You might try posting a WTB in the parts forum for one. A new or used take off won't break the bank and it will go bang bang.+1.
I have the Kidd 20" bull barrel with a hogue over mold stock. It the price it is its a STEAL compared to other barrels on the market.

matt1840
01-03-2011, 8:13 PM
just bougtan ER Shaw today. $130 to the doorstep. its .920 and threaded with thread protector included.

easy
01-03-2011, 9:01 PM
Had a similar problem with a BC light weight. So yes it does happen on production units. The did replace the bbl at no cost.

vintagearms
01-03-2011, 9:36 PM
See? This is why we were telling you to just give the manufacturer a call. You should always give the manufacturer a call if something comes up. The worst they can do is tell you "no" and if their customer service is reasonable, they'll try to do something to make it right(unless they have some explicit policy that warranties apply to the original owner only or something).

Next time just call before freaking out :p

I was just thinking the same thing. I love my GM barrel.

BamBam-31
01-04-2011, 5:05 PM
Wow, great CS from GM. Good to hear your problem will be taken care of, OP! :thumbsup:

RaceDay
01-05-2011, 8:54 PM
OP, glad it worked out for you. I love my GM barrel.

TKM
01-06-2011, 8:07 PM
Ignorant comment if I've ever seen one. I had the exact same issue a little over a year ago. They replaced it and stated a bad batch had gotten through. Great customer service, but to say no manufacturers do these kinds of things is retarded

Perhaps I should have said no manufacturer would do it on purpose. Clearly this was an error and is being dealt with.

What's wrong with being retarded?

Mom says I'm special and people that make fun of me are just mean and that God will deal with them in his own time.

Boarding-Team-Leader
01-08-2011, 5:41 PM
I would suggest to everyone. If you have a problem with anything 10/22 related, go to RFC and do a search on your problem there. If there is a problem with a 10/22, that is where you will find the answer.
BTL

samspade77
01-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Yup--tight head spacing will cause jams; big time. I have that problem on a Yugo SKS. At least 10/22 barrels are reasonably priced.

Packy14
02-02-2011, 6:15 PM
KIDD 20" Target barrel has been my fav so far. Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions are just bling bling overpriced junk. Never had a problem with Ruger's T model heavy barrel. You might try posting a WTB in the parts forum for one. A new or used take off won't break the bank and it will go bang bang.

haha.. i love my volquartsen tension barrel..extremely accurate and light.

870JG10/22
02-02-2011, 8:33 PM
Ruger makes great barrels for those 10/22s :gunsmile: I love my Ruger

biggyfan1
02-03-2011, 1:03 PM
Hey guys i got the barrel back today from GM and it looks good. The chamber radius was the problem and looks to be fixed. I can tell just by looking at it that its not as deep of a radius. Range report and function report coming soon. I will start a new thread with pictures. I FLAMED Green Mountain at first but would like to take that all back and let everyone know that they took care of my problem 100%. Dennis at GM is a great guy and if i need a barrel I'm calling him up. You should do the same.

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2011, 1:07 PM
Come on, it's a POS. You need to sell it to me real cheap since, it'll never work right.

J/K

Great news! I hope it shoots <.5moa for you!

Chuck67
02-03-2011, 2:31 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but GM barrels have a ton of positive reports. I would call GM and see if/what they can do for you. I just bought a 16" fluted GM and I expect it to preform very well, but not the best.

+1. I Just put my GM 16" fluted on my 10/22 earlier this week and it performed awesome, no problems at all.