PDA

View Full Version : New S&W Bodyguard 38 Opinions?

gtlaforteza
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm looking into picking one up and I was wondering if people out on calguns.net have any first hand experience with this lil revolver?

This would be my first revolver under my name, woohoo~:D

sker13
12-31-2010, 1:09 PM
I have owned both Bodyguard and LCR...I would recommend you shoot them both before you decide. I sold the bodyguard.

The trigger and the geometry on the bodyguard didn't agree with me for some reason. I really wanted to like it. But, I could not argue with the results. I simply shot the LCR much better. Especially at distances greater than 7 yards. YMMV...Good Luck with your purchase.

cntrolsguy
12-31-2010, 1:37 PM
I have held both in my hand, I was at Straightline in Anaheim checking out the LCR which felt pretty good and someone came in to pick up their bodyguard and let me handle it. Initially the bodyguard felt better in my hand and the lazer looked pretty good. The one thing I did not like was the way they set up the cylinder release at the top of the pistol itself although it is ambi it's just weird. I ended up purchasing the LCR and brought it home yesterday and the more I play with it the more I love it, it is an awesome light weight little pistol and lighter than the bodyguard.

gtlaforteza
12-31-2010, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the input!

Malmon
01-01-2011, 1:14 AM
I have held both in my hand, I was at Straightline in Anaheim checking out the LCR which felt pretty good and someone came in to pick up their bodyguard and let me handle it. Initially the bodyguard felt better in my hand and the lazer looked pretty good. The one thing I did not like was the way they set up the cylinder release at the top of the pistol itself although it is ambi it's just weird. I ended up purchasing the LCR and brought it home yesterday and the more I play with it the more I love it, it is an awesome light weight little pistol and lighter than the bodyguard.

That was me picking up the SW BG38 at Straightline when you were there. Good thing you went with the LCR. I haven't shot this revolver yet and I am already unhappy with the purchase. The built-in laser housing is loose and the one small screw that holds it in place will not tighten all the way. Hopefully it's just this gun and not the whole lot since it looks like there are a few calgunners with this model revolver.

RobT2K
01-01-2011, 2:26 AM
I've had a 638 bodyguard for about 4 years now and carry it whenever the weather is too warm for a OWB holster and cover shirt. It has been great for pocket carry. I shoot it well enough with its short sights, but it takes regular range time to stay consistent.

I have thought about putting a CT grip on it or maybe some trigger work, but for what it's designed for, close range/backup gun use I don't think I will waste the cash.

zman
01-01-2011, 9:31 AM
I was torn between the Bodyguard and the
LCR recently....I ended up with the
LCR with its sweet trigger :)