PDA

View Full Version : H&K P2000 Range Report

Mael
12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I picked up a P2000 V3 (conventional DA/SA trigger and hammer, with decocking) 9mm a couple of weeks ago to fill a hole in my handgun collection. I currently own several full size 1911’s, a Sig P226R 9mm and a S&W 686 and I needed something easier to carry concealed. I didn’t want anything too small as I have pretty big hands. The P2000 fit my hand well while still being small enough to conceal even in the summer. Since this is the first H&K I’ve owned, I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I picked up the gun after my 10 day waiting period, I field stripped the weapon and gave it a thorough inspection. The fit and finish of the gun is excellent. The frame is rounded in all the right places and the polygonal rifling inside the barrel was flawless.

I finally had time to make it out to the range yesterday to put some rounds through it and I must say I was VERY impressed with the P2000. The trigger is good for a non-1911. The single action pull is good with a short reset and little creep. The double action pull was a bit heavy, but entirely manageable. The recoil has a bit more snap than my Sig 226R, but follow up shots were easy to keep on target. I loved that the gun was reliable out of the box. It fed every different ammo I threw at it, Federal 115gr FMJ, Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115gr, Hornady TAP 124gr, and some old reloads I was given a couple of years ago. It fed all of these without any failures of any kind.

The part I was most impressed with was the accuracy of the gun. Below is a picture of my target after my final 75 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ @ 15 yards outside with a steady breeze.

I’m still getting used to the magazine disconnect as all my other semiautomatics have a button style disconnect. I’m confident that with a little practice, my reloads will become much faster.

My next step is to order a Milt Sparks VM-2 for IWB carry. I would also like to add night sites to the gun, but I need to do some more research first.

Based on the performance of the P2000, I can safely say this won’t be the last H&K I buy :D

gamma105
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
congrats!! I have a P2000sk, it's one of the most reliable gun I own! I've fed about 2500 rounds so far, not one hiccup! btw have you tried the LEM trigger?

Heiko
12-31-2010, 2:09 PM
Congrats! There is lots to love about HK weapons. The quality and accuracy is top notch. I have a few HK pistols and one of my carry guns is a HK USP Compact .40. In a good holster it's actually pretty easy to conceal and I'm not a big guy. Neither of my USPs have ever had a single hiccup with any ammo.

The only knocks I have against HK are the cost, the reputation for lousy customer service unless you're a big government contract, and magazines are pricey. I always say: It's expensive being cool!

Good luck on your Milt Sparks VMII. They are like gold if you can find one unless you're willing to wait 6 months. I lucked out and found a SS II for my Champion/Commander size 1911 in stock at Brownell's.

Mael
12-31-2010, 2:17 PM
have you tried the LEM trigger? Yeah... I didn't like it as much. I know some people have had their LEM lighten a bit. I would like to try one of those.

Good luck on your Milt Sparks VMII. They are like gold if you can find one unless you're willing to wait 6 months.

I know I'm in for a 6 month wait... I can live with that. I will be a summertime present to myself :D

RT13
12-31-2010, 2:26 PM
It'sa great gun. My P2000 replaced my P228. That's how good this gun is. And I own and tend to prefer Sigs over Hk's. The P2000 is the perfect compromise for a carry weapon.

Bill Steele
12-31-2010, 4:03 PM
I got the LEM model of the P2000 and had to do exactly what you noted with lighter springs, it transformed the gun and is now my favorite 9, displacing the long running Beretta 92FS.

On the poor customer service, that has not been my experience. I decided to send my P2000 back for the spring job, I got a call from Debbie in service the same day it arrived. She had finished the spring job, verified the new trigger pull and 4.5lbs and wanted to let me know the gun was on its way back. I received it the next day.

I call that excellent customer service.

Can't buy anything here
12-31-2010, 4:55 PM
I also replaced my 92f with the p2000 for my duty/carry (reserve lasd) and I love it!

plan-b
12-31-2010, 5:13 PM
I've got one and an SK too. They're fantastic guns. Practice with the mag release. After a while, you might even start to prefer it over the thumb button. I do. :)

Mickey D
12-31-2010, 5:13 PM
Hard to beat any of the Hk pistols.
I really enjoy my USPc .45

Can't buy anything here
12-31-2010, 6:24 PM
Mine is the V2 LEM (only one authorized)...I'm happy with the V2 but I'd like to try the V3 with decocker....btw, the Steamlight TLR-3 works great on it...:)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1070134.jpg

ChrisTKHarris
12-31-2010, 6:35 PM
I love my HK. I would not hesitate to buy another.

jyo
12-31-2010, 9:54 PM
My P2000 DA/SA 9mm is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pistols (my wife likes it as well)---VERY accurate---reasonably lightweight---compleletly reliable with every type of 115-125 grain FMJ and JHP ammo I have tried (I don't use the 147s---too slow) and takes the same magazines as my USPc 9mm (a very underated pistol---fully as good as the P2000, just not as sleek)---enjoy yours!

fifthward
01-01-2011, 6:26 AM
Jyo....I have the same set up with P2000 and USPc, but in .40. It's nice to have one group of mags that work for b

fifthward
01-01-2011, 6:29 AM
Jyo....I have the same set up with P2000 and USPc, but in .40. It's nice to have one group of mags that work for both...In any SHTF scenario, you don't have to worry about grabbing wrong mags

OP...try the flat base plates to make the gun that more concealable

Can't buy anything here
01-01-2011, 6:32 AM
I like the finger rest base plates but found them a bit exaggerated...I bought a few flat base plates for concealed carry but I still like the way the rest indexes my hand for the draw from my duty rig....so I took down the finger rests with a little sanding...now they work pretty well for concealed carry also...:)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1070276.jpg

If you don't feel like waiting six month for an IWB...lobogunleather makes a real nice offset clip model...super comfortable and only around 50 bucks.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1070269.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1060972.jpg

Mickey D
01-01-2011, 7:47 AM
Lobo makes some nice holsters and has innovative ideas from feedback from professionals like yourself.
Looks great.

Mael
01-01-2011, 8:41 AM
I like the finger rest base plates but found them a bit exaggerated...I bought a few flat base plates for concealed carry but I still like the way the rest indexes my hand for the draw from my duty rig....so I took down the finger rests with a little sanding...now they work pretty well for concealed carry also...:)

If you don't feel like waiting six month for an IWB...lobogunleather makes a real nice offset clip model...super comfortable and only around 50 bucks.

Great suggestions guys, but before I file down or remove the base plates with the finger rests, I'm going to see how well the gun conceals. Since my hands are pretty big, the base plates really help me get a better grip on the gun. I do plan on getting an interim holster for the gun until the VM2 arrives. I'll definitely look into Lobo Gun Leather IWB holster.

SkyStorm82
01-01-2011, 6:08 PM
Where did you get the flat base plates for the magazines?

plan-b
01-01-2011, 7:43 PM
9mm:
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USP-Compact-9mm-Magazine-Floor-Plate-Flat-10-round-203p1195.htm

.40S&W
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-Compact-40-Magazine-10-Rounds-Flat-Floor-Plate-203p1197.htm

There may be other places to buy them but HKParts.net is normally pretty well respected.

vNaK
01-01-2011, 9:06 PM
Where did you get the flat base plates for the magazines?

AFAIK there are no flat base plates for 10rd mags for USPc / P2000. But if you have a dremel, you can easily cut the extra portion off. I've done it to three of my mags and will be doing it to my other 6.

Can't buy anything here
01-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Lobo makes some nice holsters and has innovative ideas from feedback from professionals like yourself.
Looks great.

Thanks Mickey...this was the second model I tested for Ray at Lobo The production model will have a supposedly stronger clip (although this one is fine), in black...and the leather will have a nice polished finish...:)

jyo
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Have already sent an e-mail to Lobo Leather---too bad you can't get the flat floorplates anymore!

Can't buy anything here
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Have already sent an e-mail to Lobo Leather---too bad you can't get the flat floorplates anymore!

I got mine from midway...but the design of the 10 rounders don't let you switch out the baseplates.

plan-b
01-02-2011, 2:46 PM
AFAIK there are no flat base plates for 10rd mags for USPc / P2000. But if you have a dremel, you can easily cut the extra portion off. I've done it to three of my mags and will be doing it to my other 6.

See the links I posted above. HKParts.net has them listed right now but they come into stock very rarely. They're even more rare for the SK but those are listed right now too. Good chance they actually have them and if they do, I recommend ordering them yesterday.

Can't buy anything here
01-02-2011, 3:19 PM
BTW, I don't have the best eyes so I looked around for a fiber optic front sight since I have one on my SP101 and love it...so I called my friend Marc at Gemini Customs (who put on my small wonder SP101 fiber optic) and asked if he'd be interested in making one for the P2000...I sent him a front sight and he made the prototype shown here but none were made since there wasn't enough interest (he needed an order of at least 50 to make it worthwhile tooling up)...anyway, I heard over on the HK forum that another vendor will be offering this kind of sight soon....I highly recommend them for daytime shooting if you have over 40 eyes...:)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/IMG_0595.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/IMG_0597.jpg

den888
01-02-2011, 4:47 PM
Nice shooting!

Gnome
01-03-2011, 12:33 AM
P2000 is a great gun. It is my off duty gun (LASD). I have the LEM variant, and actually like it. I too have large hands, so the P2000 sk wasn't an option. The P2000 fits perfectly in my hand, and is still very comfortable and concealable. I also love the fact that it only has two less rounds (14) than my on duty Beretta 92FS.

Can't buy anything here
01-03-2011, 6:42 AM
And even though the barrel is shorter than the 92, the velocity is about the same due to the design of the barrel on the HK. And unlike the SK, you can use the P2000 for on duty...:)

plan-b
01-17-2011, 5:30 PM
thump, thump, thump.... taps mic... Is this thing on???

Flat baseplates for 10 rounders:
9mm - http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USP-Compact-9mm-Magazine-Floor-Plate-Flat-10-round-203p1195.htm
.40 - http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-Compact-40-Magazine-10-Rounds-Flat-Floor-Plate-203p1197.htm

Flat baseplates for high-caps (if you're elite enough to own them legally):
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USP-Compact-9mm-40-Magazine-Flat-Floor-Plate-13-12-Round-203p1122.htm

ChrisTKHarris
01-17-2011, 6:08 PM
I'm REALLY tempted to buy a P200SK 9mm LEM for CCW.

konata88
01-17-2011, 6:46 PM
I only had P226s when I bought my P2000sk V2 9mm. After a brief transition, I really like the V2.

And it seems like, surprisingly, it has less recoil than my 226s.

I am going to run through the paces at IDPA but I think the p2000sk will do just fine for carry.

Gotta love the p2000 series.

Shenaniguns
01-17-2011, 7:34 PM
Yeah... I didn't like it as much. I know some people have had their LEM lighten a bit. I would like to try one of those.

I know I'm in for a 6 month wait... I can live with that. I will be a summertime present to myself :D

Or skip the VMII for a similar quality holster from TT Gunleather's Occidental division and have it in less than 2 weeks.

SkyStorm82
01-18-2011, 1:55 AM
Look into the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock holster.

Genine
01-21-2011, 4:03 PM
i have a P2000 9mm and it's my favorite range gun and I use it as a carry sometimes as well. It's accurate and it feels just right in my hands.

here's a target of mine from a week ago (just trying to have some fun lol)

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
01-21-2011, 4:36 PM
Thanks Mael, for your report on the HK P2000, I've had mine for a year now, and couldn't be happier, it's my go to gun now, the accuracy is fantastic, it's easy to carry and for my big hands I can't get over how great it feels holding it and shooting this gun, mine is in 40 S&W and the way this gun is built it is very manageable, recovery and repeat shots are better than I thought they would be, HK, is more in the pocket book, but when it's my life or family's life that is on the line, this is a gun I can depend on, that makes worth the extra $ it cost, I also like the no safety's on this gun, there is nothing to stumble on when you need it to perform, which makes it totally ambi, being a lefty I appreciate this feature.

Mael
01-21-2011, 4:53 PM
Or skip the VMII for a similar quality holster from TT Gunleather's Occidental division and have it in less than 2 weeks.

The TT Gunleather holsters look nice, but according to their website, the wait for a new holster is 20 - 24 weeks. :(

MontClaire
01-21-2011, 5:01 PM
you did that at 15 yards? WOW! Congrats! dude! you're a sniper!:rolleyes:

Shenaniguns
01-21-2011, 5:02 PM
The TT Gunleather holsters look nice, but according to their website, the wait for a new holster is 20 - 24 weeks. :(

Not through their Occidental Leather division, you can have it in less than 2 weeks :)

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/c9_p1.html

Mael
01-21-2011, 9:48 PM
Not through their Occidental Leather division, you can have it in less than 2 weeks :)

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/c9_p1.html

Thanks for the heads up.