PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to fishing in the bay area

CALI SHOT DOC
12-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I always went fishing when i was younger but stopped because i had no one to go with. Now that i'm older and can take myself i'm wanting to get back into fishing. I need new gear and was wondering what are some good rods for trout, bass (not the huge fish like salmon or sturgeon). Any rods at Big 5 that are decent? I'm out of the game so what are some must haves now for fishing and what are some good places to fish. One that i'll go to a lot is San Pablo Reservoir since i'm less than a half hour away.

Any help would be great.

wjc
12-31-2010, 8:13 PM
Don't go to Big 5 for gear. If you can swing it go to Mel Cotton's in San Jose.

They have a much better selection and are great with helping you get
set up. I was in the same position as you and they set me up with a lot of good
gear and the smoothest reel I've ever used ( Symetre 2500FJ).

If you really want to get stunned, go to the Bass Pro Shop in Manitca. I've never seen so much fishing gear in my entire life! :shock:

Forgot to mention: If you're going to eat the fish make sure you check the bulletins on the DFG
web site. Some of the fish in the inland lakes have high levels of Mercury, etc. in them. DFG recommends a
specific limit on consumption.

chickenfried
12-31-2010, 8:34 PM
Getting back into it, I see nothing wrong with one of the combos from Big5 or sportmart. Check the sunday paper for the latest sale, the past couple of months they've had okay daiwa okami rod/reel combos ~$35. That Symetre is ~$100 reel. I spent that kind of dough impulse buying on the internet. My nephew got a combo reel/rod from big5. While my stuff is nicer, truth is I kinda wish I didn't splurge. I'd have just as much fun if I had his reel and probably just as much luck. Plus resale value isn't very good on fishing stuff so start off with cheap stuff then upgrade if you get addicted.

I had terrible luck at Chabot only caught a turtle. Really liked Los Vaqueros but they're lowering the water level to prepare for a dam upgrade for the lake expansion. I'm going to give del valle a try next.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
12-31-2010, 8:59 PM
WalMart has Shakespeare Ugly sticks and shimano reels. A little more than big-5 combos,But much better Quality will last a lot longer.

foomxyooj
01-01-2011, 12:53 AM
There's also a Fisherman's Warehouse in Manteca. On the 120 East about a mile from the 99. They sometimes have good deal there. And they are always willing to point you in the right direction.

hung380
01-01-2011, 2:10 AM
daiwa exceler 1500 6lb on one spool for trout and 8 lb line for the other spool for bass. Exceler is priced right. Any rod besides and ugly stick.
My trout set up is a quantum pti tournament with 2lb line paired with A phenix 7 ft elixir.
I fish for fresh water stripers so my go to setup is a Shimano symetre 2500 with 6lb line a symetre rod.

bbguns44
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Walmart. I like a 7 ft light action rod. Shimano reel.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-05-2011, 8:06 PM
Any rod besides and ugly stick.

Please tell me why? I know it's no a G-loomis. But still a good rod for the money.

1911man
01-05-2011, 8:47 PM
I to have been going between hobbies. Hunting for 3 to 5 years then going fishing and putting hunting on the back burner. Seems like the older I get the more I get out of hunting , but I still target shot and hunt the smaller stuff, turkey, coyotes, and squirrels. Since this Fu#%d up state has banned lead it is making it easier to just go fishing with the ocean so close and the fish taste better than freshwater fish. I still put in a yearly elk draw, and buy a hunting license and tags. Basically, supporting wildlife projects. I still am in love with black rifles. I did catch my biggest fish last year was a 50 lb. White sea bass.
San Pablo is a great trout lake! Last time I've fished there they have spotted and black bass there in spring. As for tackle goggle local fishing shops, support your local fishing shop and they will give you tips and will barter with the prices.

Good luck.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-05-2011, 9:40 PM
when it comes to fishing, the size of the fish you plan on catching dictates how much you should spend. Any $30 6ft rod/reel combo can bring in 1-3 lb trout/bass. If you plan on doing any striper or sturgeon fishing, you may want to have a larger set-up(8-9ft rod). I tend to spend a bit extra on my striper reels. Makes all the difference in the world when you have a big fish on the line.

someone said they don't like Ugly Sticks, but 1 of my striper set-ups is on an 8ft Ugly Stick.... I've never had any problems with it.

thukidad
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
need a price range on what you're willing to spend... lots of good stuff out there now.. ask yourself when you hook that fish of a lifetime.. will that ugly stik give you enough confidence to reel that lunker in.. if so.. go for it..

Eroland7
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Fisherman's warehouse on De Anza blvd has a huge selection and very good prices. The staff is very friendly and knowlegable and are willing to answer all your questions if they have the time.

foomxyooj
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I've hooked an oversized sturgeon (over 100 inches) on a 7 1/2 foot pole with 20lb test 60lb leader. Fought it more than an hour. Too bad the 60lb leader didn't hold.

Eroland7
01-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I have accidently hooked quite a few sturgeon on the Feather while fishing for salmon. Most the time you just hope to be able to snap it off real quick before its completely spools you and you lose all your line...

taperxz
01-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I to have been going between hobbies. Hunting for 3 to 5 years then going fishing and putting hunting on the back burner. Seems like the older I get the more I get out of hunting , but I still target shot and hunt the smaller stuff, turkey, coyotes, and squirrels. Since this Fu#%d up state has banned lead it is making it easier to just go fishing with the ocean so close and the fish taste better than freshwater fish. I still put in a yearly elk draw, and buy a hunting license and tags. Basically, supporting wildlife projects. I still am in love with black rifles. I did catch my biggest fish last year was a 50 lb. White sea bass.
San Pablo is a great trout lake! Last time I've fished there they have spotted and black bass there in spring. As for tackle goggle local fishing shops, support your local fishing shop and they will give you tips and will barter with the prices.

Good luck.

It is not banned in the whole state, just down south. None of my rifles or pistols have ever tasted anything but lead.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-06-2011, 8:12 AM
None of my rifles or pistols have ever tasted anything but lead.

I sure wish I could say the same :icon_bs:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
thukidad

ask yourself when you hook that fish of a lifetime.. will that ugly stik give you enough confidence to reel that lunker in.. if so.. go for it..

I would worry more about the line breaking than an Ugly stik breaking. Most people don't retie there line every hour.

thukidad
01-07-2011, 7:11 PM
thukidad

ask yourself when you hook that fish of a lifetime.. will that ugly stik give you enough confidence to reel that lunker in.. if so.. go for it..

I would worry more about the line breaking than an Ugly stik breaking. Most people don't retie there line every hour.

agreed.. it all depends on your experience in fishing.. retie isn't necessary all the time depending on type of line and structure you're fishing in.. then again i respool my line every two months ??? and retie (depending on structure) every half hour.. call me crazy but i hate losing fish.. dink or not, that baby is coming in the boat so i can have a looksy