PDA

View Full Version : Kabooms and fatalities

Kodemonkey
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Has anyone ever died from a handgun kaboom?

Table Rock Arms
12-31-2010, 10:34 AM
It is hard to imagine that anyone has died from a kaboom from a standard handgun. The 50 BGM pistol could do some damage, but if your glock blows up in your hand, you should be OK.

Matt C
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I know of at least one with a .50 cal M2.

Marlin Hunter
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM

A guy on a shotgun forum lost his left hand when his reload exploded like a hand grenade.

I read a story of some German guy in WWI who was hip firing an anti-tank rifle (20mm?) and the bolt came out and took off his leg.

I read another story of a British soldier in WWI whose bolt came out and took out his right eye and part of his face.

Non of those guys died.

bob7122
12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
i did; i think once... maybe... i was too messed up to remember.:D:stuart::mnl::jump:

1911Luvr
12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Ever see Sin City? That guy took a slide through the forehead!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/12/SCM1911A1-17.jpg/600px-SCM1911A1-17.jpg

meaty-btz
12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I always thought slide to the face was a joke on Berretta and their crappy block!

B Strong
12-31-2010, 1:43 PM
I know of injuries, but no fatalities.

tacticalcity
12-31-2010, 1:47 PM
I know of injuries, but no fatalities.

+1, never heard of anybody dying but have seen some messed up hands and faces.

A little off topic...

Maybe it is a generational thing, but every time I see the word "fatality" or any variant there of my inner voice says it in that deep voice from the video game Mortal Combat. Am I the only one? Do I need to seek help? ;)

stix213
12-31-2010, 2:58 PM
A guy on a shotgun forum lost his left hand when his reload exploded like a hand grenade.

Funny how nearly every one of these kinds of stories involves reloaded ammo

N6ATF
12-31-2010, 3:03 PM
Maybe it is a generational thing, but every time I see the word "fatality" or any variant there of my inner voice says it in that deep voice from the video game Mortal Combat. Am I the only one? Do I need to seek help? ;)

No.

Munk
12-31-2010, 3:56 PM
Just injuries that I've heard of.

A little off topic...

Not as bad as when I hear about a horrible accident, I hear "M-m-m-m-MONSTER KILL-killkill-kill...

BigDogatPlay
12-31-2010, 4:28 PM
Funny how nearly every one of these kinds of stories involves reloaded ammo

Or seems to anyway. :D

Worst injury I am personally aware of was a guy who had to have some pieces of a cylinder surgically removed from his hand and arm. Nothing fatal.

A shotgun Kb, like a 12/20 burst, I could see that potentially being fatal, particularly if the victim was in a remote location. Loss of hand, or large portions of it, are kind of likely with those.

plan-b
12-31-2010, 5:19 PM

FINISH HIM!!!

supersonic
12-31-2010, 7:54 PM
Funny how nearly every one of these kinds of stories involves IMPROPERLY reloaded ammo

There, fixed it for you.;)

Vanilla Gorilla
12-31-2010, 8:26 PM
Ever see Sin City? That guy took a slide through the forehead!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/12/SCM1911A1-17.jpg/600px-SCM1911A1-17.jpg

Jessica Alba so hot :tt1:

NIB
12-31-2010, 9:31 PM
I have never heard of anyone dying from a handgun kaboom, however I read of one person that was killed as a result of a rifle kaboom.

The short story was he was trying out some reloads and after only a few rounds the rifle exploded and a piece of shrapnel pierced his skull.

CALATRAVA
01-01-2011, 1:01 AM
Jessica Alba so hot :tt1:

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/sin_city2.jpg

magic32
01-01-2011, 6:50 AM

A little off topic...

hahaha...not just you, flawless victory(cue enter the dragon type music...:D)

AJAX22
01-01-2011, 7:02 AM
No one that died... But I did meet a brother in law of a good friend who caught a bolt through the jaw playing with reloads..

Apparently he thought it was a good idea to just fill the entire brass with whatever powder was handy and sear a bullet on top of it...

Its unfortunately more common than you would think for people to do that...

supersonic
01-01-2011, 7:19 AM
No one that died... But I did meet a brother in law of a good friend who caught a bolt through the jaw playing with reloads..

Apparently he thought it was a good idea to just fill the entire brass with whatever powder was handy and sear a bullet on top of it...

Its unfortunately more common than you would think for people to do that...

That sounds like someone that has loaded blackpowder all their life & then thought nothing of using the same methods with smokeless. With BP, you load the case to capacity so that the bullet actually compresses the powder slightly. In 45-70 BP loads, for instance, you cannot put enough FFG into a case that would even cause a KB. The more modern nitroglycerin/nitrocellulose-based powders produce exponentially more power, hence WAY higher pressures, than 'the old black stuff.'

postal
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
There were pictures of the guy testing the Blaser LRS2 precision rifle in 308 win with a very unusual new fangled bolt mechanism. It fired without the bolt lugs properly seated, and the bolt had to be surgically removed from his skull.

I was very interested in that rifle until those pictures came out....

I figure if max pressure of 60,000 psi for a 308 generally doesnt kill someone... a handgun is VERY unlikely to kill someone.

Marlin Hunter
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
That sounds like someone that has loaded blackpowder all their life & then thought nothing of using the same methods with smokeless. With BP, you load the case to capacity so that the bullet actually compresses the powder slightly. In 45-70 BP loads, for instance, you cannot put enough FFG into a case that would even cause a KB. The more modern nitroglycerin/nitrocellulose-based powders produce exponentially more power, hence WAY higher pressures, than 'the old black stuff.'

Someone on another forum confused Accurate #7 powder with Alliant Reloaded #7. The result was a destroyer gun and soiled underwear.

razr
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM

If they did, they are not talking about it!

B Strong
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
If they did, they are not talking about it!

At least not on this plain.

mike100
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
somewhat related topic: Project Eldest Son was a secret unconventional warfare tactic to sabotage a few rounds here and there and put them into the enemy's supply chain.

sks's & AK's 7.62's and mortar shells were all loaded with lethal quantities of inappropriate powder. It really messed up moral, apparently.

N6ATF
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Morale for the loaders, or the enemy?

ricksOe
01-02-2011, 3:13 PM
You guys do know jessica alba has herpes or hep C.. something along that nature though.. read about it a while back and it totally turned off any sick fantasies I ever had about her.. she still a beautiful chick tho.