PDA

View Full Version : buying first handgun, Q about drivers license address change

daybreak
12-31-2010, 9:51 AM
Hi all, first post.

So here is my deal:

Just moved to Los Angeles from the Bay Area. I've completed my change of address online at the dmv.ca.gov website. The license itself currently has my old bay area address.

I do not have the brown paper change of address from the DMV (since i changed it online).
I do not have a car registered to my name at my current address.
I do not have other forms of government ID with my current address, as far as I know.

I DO have a lease with my name and current address on it.
I DO have multiple utility bills with my name and current address on them.

I haven't asked a gun store yet, but what do you think, do I have all the necessary proofs of residency/ID?

IGOTDIRT4U
12-31-2010, 9:54 AM
You're gooing to need the new DL or at least the brown paper thing. Most likely depending on the store, they will want the new DL. Go get a CA ID card with the new one. You can get your new address on that and get the brown paper thing for your DL at the same time.

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2010, 9:57 AM
Go to DMV and get a state issued ID card with your new address. That along with a utility bill or lease agreement should be fine.

jtmkinsd
12-31-2010, 9:59 AM
If you changed it online, you had the opportunity to print out the confirmation page...I accept that as do some others...but you should talk to your FFL to see what he/she wants.

Other ideas for "Government issued paperwork": If any of your utilities are County or Municpally owned, they would work. Voter registration card. Property tax bill.

daybreak
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
If you changed it online, you had the opportunity to print out the confirmation page...I accept that as do some others...but you should talk to your FFL to see what he/she wants.

Other ideas for "Government issued paperwork": If any of your utilities are County or Municpally owned, they would work. Voter registration card. Property tax bill.

oh cool I did print that out, awesome. I also have an LADWP (los angeles department of water and power) utility bill, that sounds like it will work.

IrishPirate
12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Go to DMV and get a state issued ID card with your new address. That along with a utility bill or lease agreement should be fine.

DMV wont give out ID cards if you have a license anymore....you're only supposed to have one ID i guess. It's lame, but hey, are you really surprised?

OP, the gun stores i've been to would sell to you, but you'll have to ask the FFL you plan on buying from. The ID is to prove you are who you say you are, the rest of the stuff is to prove residency. A signed lease and utility bills should be perfect and if you bring the copy of the change of address, i don't know why they wouldn't accept it.

CHS
12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
I've started keeping a copy of my latest selective service registration paperwork. You can sign up on the webpage and do a quick change of address and they'll send you a confirmation letter pretty quickly.

While I'm old enough that I no longer have to keep my selective service registration current, it's nice that I just have that "one extra" piece of gov-issued paperwork with my current address on it "just in case" :)

As for purchasing a handgun, you need:

1.) Valid ID.
2.) Government-issued "ID" with your current address on it if your Valid ID no longer has it.
3.) Proof of residence for CA. #2 above will serve double-duty in that regard. Otherwise, utility bill or lease is also fine.
4.) Valid HSC.

For #2 you can also go to the DMV or Triple-A and get a printout of your current license details. It will be on the official DMV blue letterhead and show the same name/DL# as on your DL, with your new address. If you're a triple-A member, this is really easy to get.

monkeshine
12-31-2010, 1:23 PM
DMV wont give out ID cards if you have a license anymore....you're only supposed to have one ID i guess. It's lame, but hey, are you really surprised?

My friend just got one of each when he went for his DL renewal. I thought the same thing, but sure enough they let him have both.

At the moment though I'm not sure if DMV is issuing anything - did they resolve the printing issues?

jtmkinsd
12-31-2010, 1:46 PM

I'm having a hard time with this one...I've had both a driver's license and an ID card since I was 15...and have never had a problem renewing either or both at the same time.

IGOTDIRT4U
12-31-2010, 2:59 PM
My friend just got one of each when he went for his DL renewal. I thought the same thing, but sure enough they let him have both.

At the moment though I'm not sure if DMV is issuing anything - did they resolve the printing issues?

Yeah, I googled it and there is no DMV reg or CA code that prohibits having both. They just issue your DL in ID form with all the DL info as the same.

daybreak
12-31-2010, 5:02 PM
Update:

I walked into Retting in Culver City and purchased an XD9 service today with:

My CA DL+ printed confirmation of my updated address through the dmv.ca.gov website.

and

my LADWP (Los Angeles Department of Water and Power) utility bill. They said they that utility bill also would have qualified as a government issued paper proof of residency (if I did not provide the updated address printout.)

I'll be a proud new gun owner on Jan 10, 2010 at 5:15pm :)