PDA

View Full Version : Shooting & handling 9mm. M&P handgun

BoJackUSMC
12-31-2010, 8:48 AM
Hey members
I have some knowledge when it comes to M16 to medium size machine guns. Also, some explosive and grenade launchers stuff. However, I have very limited information when it comes to handguns. I was just wondering every time I see professional shooters or those Magpul guys shooting 9mm handguns on their video. I could barely see any hand movements from the recoil. It seems like their 9mm handgun has no recoil whatsoever. I mean I can shoot like that if I were to grip my handgun with full strength and fight the recoil, but I will get tired fast. I mean 9mm recoil is not much at all for me, but I was wanted to know how those pros could shoot like that for long time.
thank you

nn3453
12-31-2010, 8:58 AM
Fighting recoil won't get you fast follow up shots. What needs to happen is that your sights need to repeatably arrive at the same location. If you try to fight the recoil, you will end up pulling your shots. If your stance and grip are correct, you won't have to worry about recoil, especially 9mm recoil. Some muzzle flip is inevitable, the larger the caliber. Absorb it, don't fight it. Your arms should be bent, not stiff.

For example, check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

BoJackUSMC
12-31-2010, 9:05 AM
thank you for the tip and video. It just amaze me how Todd hands does not even move from the recoil in this video. No wonder he is one of the best shooter out there.

SAR_boats
12-31-2010, 9:15 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe ISPC shooters use lower power ammo and lighter recoil springs.

RedFord150
12-31-2010, 9:48 AM
Heavier gun also helps. Go to a range and rent a CZ75 and a compact Glock, both in 9mm, at the same time. You will notice the all steel CZ has a lot less muzzle flip than the lightweight compact.
I did a range trip with my son this past weekend. We started with .45 acp in a full size semi-auto. We than switched to .38 wadcutters loaded in a 4" Ruger GP100. This is a full size .357 mag. That big revolver shooting those mild reloads did feel like a .22.
Just my .02.

shooterdude
12-31-2010, 9:51 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe ISPC shooters use lower power ammo and lighter recoil springs.

There are specific power factors for bullet weight and loading. Recoil springs are chosen to be most effective with a specific load. That being said, it is very common to run a 13-15 lb recoil spring in a CZ-75 pistol and heavier bullets will recoil less for the same powder load.

Shenaniguns
12-31-2010, 9:58 AM
It's called great training, experience and practice done right. Many of these guys have thousands of hours of training, and hundreds of thousands of rounds down range.

You can find a ton of tips, pointers, articles and drills at www.pistol-training.com (http://www.pistol-training.com) and I highly recommend Magpul's videos.

racky
12-31-2010, 1:49 PM
i'm still noobsauce but i'm always practicing. muzzle flip goes away with practice. here's my vid. gun is stock minus the barrel and sights.

5Riyt6HcKT4

9mmepiphany
12-31-2010, 5:13 PM
It is actually an optical illusion that the gun isn't rising in recoil...the slide chambering the next round helps drives the gun back onto target. What is happening is that the gun recoils upward and the next shot is fired as so as it comes back down.

A neutral grip allows the gun to return to the same point without fighting it...fighting the recoil just slows down your shooting...and you let the appearance of the sights on target cue your next shot. You can shoot as fast as you can see your sights on target...if you are adjusting your sights between shots, your grip needs to be corrected

NapaCountyShooter
12-31-2010, 5:29 PM
i'm still noobsauce but i'm always practicing. muzzle flip goes away with practice. here's my vid. gun is stock minus the barrel and sights.

5Riyt6HcKT4

Nice shootin'! Damn that looks like fun. Why don't I do that yet again?

AngelZ3R0
12-31-2010, 5:46 PM
I NEED TO DO THIS WHERE ARE THESE MATCHES HELD IM IN SANTA ROSA(NORTH BAY)

orangeusa
12-31-2010, 5:52 PM
It is actually an optical illusion that the gun isn't rising in recoil...the slide chambering the next round helps drives the gun back onto target. What is happening is that the gun recoils upward and the next shot is fired as so as it comes back down.

A neutral grip allows the gun to return to the same point without fighting it...fighting the recoil just slows down your shooting...and you let the appearance of the sights on target cue your next shot. You can shoot as fast as you can see your sights on target...if you are adjusting your sights between shots, your grip needs to be corrected

I was just going to point this out after seeing a couple of slo-mo videos, and Ayoobs book shows the same thing - rear of gun goes down.

Recoil, FWIW, seems to me to be the same with my 9mm Berettas and .45 Ruger. Both same weight (34oz) guns.... And not much recoil on either...

Spyder
12-31-2010, 5:53 PM
Bring your gun up to your eyes, not your head down to your gun! :D

9mmepiphany
12-31-2010, 7:19 PM
Bring your gun up to your eyes, not your head down to your gun! :D
...but don't cast (bring the down down on the target from above) or bowl (bring the gun up from below the target)...get into into your line of vision and push it toward the target

BoJackUSMC
12-31-2010, 8:46 PM
Hey guys
Did not wanted to start new thread. Can someone explain to me about this gun product. The M&P handgun website says they offer striker fire, 6.5lbs trigger pull and striker fire DOA. I know the function of striker fire and 6.5lbs trigger pull. But striker fire DAO??
thank you
I am looking to buy M&P 9mm 6.5lbs trigger system because I am not a big fan of DOA. But I never heard striker fire DOA before.

9mmepiphany
12-31-2010, 9:11 PM
It was a marketing ploy started by Glock to win LE contracts...it isn't technically incorrect.

If the striker moves to the rear at all when the trigger is pulled, technically the trigger is completing the cocking of the striker and then releasing it...hence double action. With that definition, you could lengthen the engagement surfaces on a 1911, so that it would rotate backward with the trigger press and call it DAO.

The DA trigger pull of a striker pistol is more like a long/mushy SA

BoJackUSMC
12-31-2010, 9:17 PM
thank you for the tip
I was getting little confuse there because website says they offer 6.5lb trigger, striker fire, and DAO. I thought Glock, XD, and M&P were striker fire type only.

9mmepiphany
12-31-2010, 9:26 PM
It is all about meeting departmental contract specs for departments that require DAO pistols. They have to be DAO to even submit a pistol for consideration. So if the striker isn't fully cocked and the trigger completes the cycle, it becomes DAO.

I don't have a lot of heartburn over it, since the reason for the DAO requirement isn't usually well thought out to begin with...it is really a training and maintainence issue.

Glock and M&P are the two main horses in the race, XD isn't really in the LE business. The XD is marketed as SAO

A true DAO striker fired pistol would be a Kahr or certain models of the Walther P99

fonzy
01-01-2011, 3:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw

hybridatsun350
01-01-2011, 3:26 PM
I NEED TO DO THIS WHERE ARE THESE MATCHES HELD IM IN SANTA ROSA(NORTH BAY)

Join up, http://www.sonomashooting.org/

We do pistol matches once a month during the nicer months. It's members only and usually about 15-20 guys. It's a lot of fun and not super competitive. Their are a lot of newbies out there (me included) so don't feel like you're going to get totally rocked every time. They'll probably be starting back up in a few months and the next general membership meeting is Jan. 25th.

It's also a CMP affiliated club if you're interested in that.

Spyder
01-01-2011, 5:17 PM
January 25th, you say? I may have to show up!