PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P magazine compatability

CaptMike
12-31-2010, 5:45 AM
happy new year everyone. Does anyone know if any older magazines are compatible with the 9mm M&P pstol. Would the old smith 3900 or 5900 magazines work in the M&P or are the M&P mags proprietary to that pistol only. How about Glock mags? Just wondering because before the ban, the wife and I bought multiple high cap mags for pistols we don't own. The wife tried out an M&P and she liked the way it shot. The M&P didn't exist back then, so we couldn't purchase any mags for it. Just wondering if smith took an off the shelf mag or if they designed a new one. Thanks in advance

RollingCode3
12-31-2010, 7:12 AM
No. It doesn't work

CaptMike
12-31-2010, 8:57 AM
anyone try any other mags?

Legasat
12-31-2010, 9:04 AM
Nothing I have ever run across.

missiondude
12-31-2010, 9:15 AM
I have pondered that very question, but have come up somewhat empty. Since you have loads of mags for pistols you dont have, I assume you tried the 15 round mags that fit the 5906. The mag body is slightly skinnier which leads to retention problems by the magazine catch after you have modified the notch in the magazine. When I load snap caps in the 5906 mag, and hold it in place by hand, the gun will cycle the caps flawlessly. I have never tried live ammo, but maybe you will give it a go and report the results. Not a fit I would bet my life on in a self defense scenario, but should work in gun games with a few tweaks of the magazine. Just make sure not to modify the mag so that it no longer works in the "donor" gun...

ETA, the slide lock feature does not work either. You might be able to modify a M&P follower to fit the 5906 mag body, and get the slide stop to function, but probably very difficult.

Have you ever tried a sigma magazine?

CaptMike
12-31-2010, 10:41 AM
We have plenty of different mags, but I dont have an M&P to try out yet. She picked one up at the range the other day and she said she liked the way it fit her hands. I would like to get her one, but I would prefer if she could have standard capacity mags and not the 10 rounders. If the M&P has its own mags then I guess I will have to drop the idea of getting her one. Does anyone have any experience with the Glock 19 Gen 4 models? I see they have interchangeable backstraps and those should be able to use the standard G19 mags. I wonder if my wifes small hands would work with the new G19's? any suggestions?

missiondude
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
We have plenty of different mags, but I dont have an M&P to try out yet. She picked one up at the range the other day and she said she liked the way it fit her hands. I would like to get her one, but I would prefer if she could have standard capacity mags and not the 10 rounders. If the M&P has its own mags then I guess I will have to drop the idea of getting her one. Does anyone have any experience with the Glock 19 Gen 4 models? I see they have interchangeable backstraps and those should be able to use the standard G19 mags. I wonder if my wifes small hands would work with the new G19's? any suggestions?

My wife tried all the plastic pistols at the range and picked the one that fit her best, which was the M&P. Make sure she likes the gun before buying one based only on availability of highcaps that you already own. Shooting a gun well on the first round is way more important than having 15 follow up shots available... I figured that you were looking for capacity for IPSC or steel matches, which is why I suggested the 5906 or Sigma mags. I would never use anything other than factory for a HD gun, not even aftermarket mags made for the specific gun.

Good luck in your search

ETA The XD was a close second for my wife in fit and how she shot it. You might want to have her give that one a go.

RollingCode3
12-31-2010, 2:15 PM

I own a few M&P's and Glock Gen4 (in the process of replacing all my Gen3 with Gen4 models). Both are great guns. The Glock Gen4 trigger is a little bit heavier than the Gen3. The grip is 2mm smaller. It fits my hand like a glove without any back strap on.